ALONE returning on Dec 8!

Did anybody notice that they are going to do another season of ALONE starting on Dec. 8? I guess they are going to try to go to squeezing in a couple of seasons a year if possible. I'm not going to start an official thread as I know I won't follow things as closely as some of you will. They do have the bios of the contestants and their 10 items. I don't recognize any of them but then I'm not very knowledgeable about survivalist people so that's no big surprise. They look to be going to Patagonia in South America towards the bottom of Argentina. If any of you want to have a look, here's the site for the cast.......

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

Looks like they might go to a short season format, with a lot of shows being TVR or streamed, when they happen is less important. I'm guessing its rated high enough to push into the lineup against the re-runs of other shows.

From a quick look of the gear we have more hunters than other seasons, a couple of bows and a slingshot, two of the hunters looking at small game (judo points, and the slingshot) Not as many gill nets, but still lots of hooks, so maybe they won't be as coastal? Also far more paracord than other rounds, I wonder how much advice they get before they pick?

Lots of rations, and most seem to have some knife-saw-ax combo, but a few without.

Preview doesn't show much, looks like they might be on a lake or something... maybe someone who knows more about the area will have a better idea. Anyway, looking forward to it, the new environment should provide a few interesting twists.

I hope its going to be somewhere where the weather will be better. The bad weather detracted from the show with too much time spent filming at their camps. I'd like to see more activity.

I don't prioritize the show but it's a catch now and then with the wife. I am still disillusioned at how fast the Canadian members wimped out last season?, the year before?. I don't know, I just catch it on the fly. I am however appreciating the psychological aspect of isolation in a foreign environment much more now because of this show.

I don't prioritize the show but it's a catch now and then with the wife. I am still disillusioned at how fast the Canadian members wimped out last season?, the year before?. I don't know, I just catch it on the fly. I am however appreciating the psychological aspect of isolation in a foreign environment much more now because of this show.

I do really enjoy the show, but you are right about early exits. Perhaps they need some better contestants, though the ones they had were very likable overall. The one guy last year said if he ran into a bear, the bear should be scared; and then he quit within a few hours. Didn't even stay 1 night. Lol. I'm no tv survival expert, just your everyday redneck, but when I was 12 years old I could spend at least a weekend in the woods. C'mon man.

Season 1 winner agrees with you too. When they told him he had won, he said "What? Already? I was planning a spring garden". That type is who they are looking for.

I do really enjoy the show, but you are right about early exits. Perhaps they need some better contestants, though the ones they had were very likable overall. The one guy last year said if he ran into a bear, the bear should be scared; and then he quit within a few hours. Didn't even stay 1 night. Lol. I'm no tv survival expert, just your everyday redneck, but when I was 12 years old I could spend at least a weekend in the woods. C'mon man.

Season 1 winner agrees with you too. When they told him he had won, he said "What? Already? I was planning a spring garden". That type is who they are looking for.

I know that I'm not up to it, skills wise, my age, and if I forgot my Malibu Barbie I'd really be pooched. :) But I have been to a few places, and done a few things, like many here. I could take the producers to an Indian settlement right now were the contest would be just another period on the trap line. But the show is made for a certain audience, of which I am included, so that would never happen. Still fun to watch, but I admit disappointment a few times. Hell my wife and I were tenting in the Boreal forest under a bear warning two years ago. The conservation officers were firing off bear bangers in the evening............and my wife still stayed, in a flimsy tent, for several nights. When I see guys bail after a night, or even before, I find it hard not to be judgemental.

I wasn't suprised, ranger Hoe is a huge fake. What suprises me is that no one caught on to it after that season.

Its Hollywood and not unexpected. Its the producer's style to create 'shock n drama', they will pick contestants with a wide range of skills calculating that a certain number will remain through the show but have a predictable drop out rate to create the story line. The show is okay, but I don't like how the show jumps around so much lacking continuity making it a pain to watch.

I admit that I have not watched a lot of these shows but wonder about why some of these people did not elect to take a tarp, and no one has listed anything to sharpened their knives or axes? John

Zach Gault has a 2-sided sharpening stone listed.
I believe on the previous shows each contestant was furnished a tarp to protect the camera equipment.

They get tarps as a basic item. In the past a lot of folks seemed to just rely on finding a stone in the wild to sharpen with, I'm a bit surprised anyone took one in fact.
A big factor with the drop out rate is that a lot of folks don't know what their limit is. I'm certain the producers do want a slow burn, but its just so unpredictable, someone can walk and talk all they want on a good day, and break at the slightest thing under other conditions. I'm interested to see what the BOSS guy does, he's the first one so far to be sort of rep-ing for a group, (apart from the vets) and they have a record of pushing very hard, I'm guessing they'd have canned the season and we'd know if someone bought the farm on it. People are very hard to predict.

gadget geek, I wondered about the tarp as Dave Nessia and Callie North both listed a tarp as one of their 10 items. John

I don't understand why some would bring a little knife when weight isn't an issue. They won't be hiking far. Possibly bragging rights if they win. Also wonder why someone would being a shovel? Looking forward to the show

I don't get the shovel thing either. I've never been to Patagonia, so I'm not sure what these folks are up against, but it seems logical to assume that digging holes won't be a regular occurrence. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

I don't get the shovel thing either. I've never been to Patagonia, so I'm not sure what these folks are up against, but it seems logical to assume that digging holes won't be a regular occurrence. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

I kinda thought the same thing until I got one. Can be a very handy item that can do a lot if it is all you have, little practice and you do a whole lot of knife work and medium chopping.

They get one canvas tarp (at least they did last season) so they probably figure they'll take a second one for greater adaptability.
I was thinking the shovel might double as his chopper? maybe he plans on using it more as a draw knife and scrapper.
As far as knife size, sure weight isn't a concern, but if you are mostly just doing small tasks, then why pack anything huge? I see its the BOSS guy who has a mora, wondering if its a bit of a "good enough" thing? Hard to gauge, and maybe its better to just let the skills and screen time do the talking.
I'm an unabashed little knife fan, but I'm not so sure about Greg's little blade, hopefully it keeps up to him. It really is the full mix this time, everything from bare-bones off the shelf to custom styling, and custom work-horses. Gotta love it! That Coalcracker might not be super original, but it looks great, and ticks a lot of boxes. Looks like battlehorse might be getting some good exposure from this run.

I find it interesting that a number of the contestants have chosen the BK-7. When you visit the Becker Forum, it is generally all about the "nine" and so forth. But these people choose something smaller for their primitive experience. A few seem to choose more beastly knives.

Back