Alternative to KERSHAW LEEK ?

Hi all,

I am in the Market for a small'ish "Gentleman" type Pocket Knife.
The "NRA" (Chinese made) knife as show below is a knife I keep by my Computer as sort of a "Template" (and reminder to me) of how a "Pocket Knife" does not have to be overly large/heavy in order to be useful. This lil' "NRA" folder measures only 6.5" O.A.L. with a 3" Blade. Truthfully, the quality of this lil' "NRA" folder is pretty darn nice, but, it is the size of this lil' Knife that impresses me the most.

So, using this "NRA" Knife as my "template/starting point", I am now seeking a (higher quality) EDC Pocket Knife that is either "Assist Open and/or Auto". After a fair amount of research on line, I have found that the (slightly larger) KERSHAW "LEEK" could very well be my best bet in a quality (affordable) smaller "Assist Open" EDC Pocket Knife.

Pray tell good members of Blade Forums, might I be overlooking an alternative to the "LEEK" ? I already own a "Spyderco Para Military 2" which (while excellent) is a bit larger than what I presently would like in the way of a EDC "Gentleman'ish" Pocket Knife.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts/suggestions/recommendations/opinions.
Photos would be greatly welcomed. Thank you all kindly!

HARDBALL

s-l1600.jpg

You could also take a look at the Kershaw Dividend. The Olive green one with the composite blade I believe is still available. It has speed safe which you mentioned you were interested in.

JonesE

My wife bought me this one a few years ago and I think it's a good alternative to the Leek.

AG Russell K12. They come in a few different configurations.
The one in the picture is the least expensive, the Italian made versions are more expensive.
The frame is titanium, so it's light enough to throw in your pocket ( but it has a pocket clip too)

agr.jpg

The PM2 really is a great knife, one of the all time EDC workhorses. However, if you are really dead set on the assisted function there are no PM2s that come with an assist or auto. Around these forums you are going to find a lot of people that have a strong preference for NON assisted folding knives for their simplicity, quality, and durability over the torsion bar based assisted folders. That being said, I can recommend some good options on either side of the fence.

Assisted: You are going to find a lot of good options in Kershaw's line up if you want to stick with assisted (Auto is almost always going to cost more and there are a lot of states and cities where carrying automatic knives are illegal. Probably should check into that first if you want to go that route)

1. Kershaw Dividend. Kind of an evolution of the Leek in my opinion. It is a bit larger though not all that noticeable.

2. Kershaw Cryo. Either the Cryo 1 or Cryo 2 depening on what you are looking for size wise. I would personally recommend the version with the G-10 handle on one side to reduce the weight.

3. Kershaw Blur. Another assisted classic from Kershaw. This is a thumbstud opening knife unlike the previous 2 and you can get some more premium materials if that tickles your fancy.

4. Kershaw Link. Probably the largest knife listed so far so it may not be as comfortable or fall into the "gentleman's knife" category but still a great assisted knife from Kershaw.

5. CRKT Fast Lane. CRKT is also producing some decent assisted opening knives now. I havent handled one of these yet but it looks like it should fit the role of an assisted gentleman's knife fairly well given its profile and size.

Now in the realm of NON assisted folders your world opens up considerably. It might be more useful to talk in terms of manufacturers here.

1. Civivi. Civivi knives have been breaking the mold in the quality of materials that you can get for the price for the last 5 years or so. The McKenna, Elementum, Chronos, Ortis, Odium, Exarch just to name a few are all great knives they offer that are non assisted but the detent is so crisp that the blade is going to fly out just like it is assisted. It is very hard to get a better knife for the price than these models right now.

2. CJRB. This is another knife company that has come about recently and they are also putting together a very good roster of knives at very competitive price points running quality steel with great action. The mini Feldspar, Centros, and RIA are all knives that would perform fantastically in a Gentleman's folder role.

3. SOG. SOG used to be more known for their fixed blades and assisted folders and while they still produce a significant amount of those products they have recently stepped their game up in the non assisted folding knife game. The SOG Terminus XR is a knockout for the price and there are several options in handle material and blade steel. If you are looking for something even smaller and lighter, it is almost impossible to find a slimmer or lighter production folding knife right now than the SOG Ultra XR.

Hopefully this helps.

Hello all,

Thank you all thus far for the most excellent suggestions! hhmoore, I learned of Pro-Tech the other night and if I ever do decide to purchase a Pro-Tech Auto, it was indeed the "Newport" that caught my Eye! Thanks.

HARDBALL

Since you specified assist or auto, my answer is simple: Protech Newport (bottom knife, below)

View attachment 1553648 View attachment 1553649
Last I looked, there were a few different looks available.
Also pictured is a Zeiba MS3 - not auto or assist; but a nice little flipper that is the epitome of "gentleman's knife". (A bit pricey; but nice).

That Zeiba MS3 is sweet looking !!
I'm tempted to grab that one.
The price is steep but that look is niiice.

The William Henry B-5 & B-7 are button lock knives that, when tuned, flip open and shut when the button is depressed. 58mm SAK shown for size comparison.image.jpeg

I really like my Leek. Why look any farther? If you find something down the road, buy that too.

If assisted opening is crucial and you like metal scales, the Dividend is nice. There have been a few premium versions but I don't know about availability. I have the M390 version. While I've fallen out of love with assisted actions, I keep the Dividend because it's such a good fit for tip-down shirt-pocket carry.

Otherwise, there are lots of attractive budget knives with great manual actions on the market in 2021. The proliferation of quality manual actions in the budget market is a big part of what caused me to fall out of love with assisted opening. A slick action with the right detent is a step up, easier to maintain, and has less to go wrong.

The Civivi Elementum is popular for a reason. I've also fallen out of love with D2 but there are premium versions of this one too. The S35VN Elementum is thinner than the standard version and uses thinner blade stock, which could make it a better replacement for the Leek. The Kizer Gemini might also be worth checking out. It also comes in a few different variations. I have one with brown Micarta, 0.11" blade stock, and remarkably good action.

Last edited:
If you like the Leek, definitely get a carbon fiber one, or the new (well, it's an old design, but this is a re-issue) Random Leek. These have a flat grind rather than the hollow grind, making them a bit more robust.

The knife that kicked my Frankenleek (GITD carbon fiber handles, Random Leek blade) out of my pocket for the last few months is a Kershaw Launch 11. Similar blade profile but with a bit more belly and somewhat more stout of a grind, fires like a rocket, and carries well.

The CS Code 4 is my go-to conservative gent’s knife that can still do plenty of hard work. The scales won’t be to everyone’s liking, but the handle shape and ergos really keep the knife locked in your hand. I haven’t tested this with sweaty or wet hands though.

PkQTsL0.jpg

I've owned a few hundred knives at this point and I've yet to find anything that really takes the place of the Leek. It's a really, really great knife. It's one of the few knives "budget" knives that has a permanent place in my collection (actually I have three that I'll never part with).

Keep in mind that there are frame lock and liner lock versions and they feel very different in the hand. I typically prefer the thinner framelock versions of the Leek, but the carbon fiber Leek is the exception and is my favorite of all the Leeks. The CPM-154 used in the CF Leek is good steel and the carbon fiber has a nice texture with great looks.

Of the framelock Leeks, I really like the recently resurrected Random Leek and Composite Leek to be my favorite. Nothing at all wrong with the standard version either.

There's a reason the Leek has been a favorite among knife fans for over two decades. It's just plain good.

Hi all,

First, I want to say a big THANK YOU to all who offered their suggestions/recommendations/opinions regarding my question/thread.
Please note, that I have taken "note" of each and every suggestion/recommendation (listed above by the good members of Blade Forums) for future possible purchase(s). A nice running list of Knife suggestions that I have no doubt will be useful to (not only myself) but to other members who happen to visit this thread.
OK, that being said, I made my decision! I have ordered the following (on SALE) Knife. I think I choose wisely (especially) considering the "sale" price.

178720138_4227459693932499_8234950996705010552_n.png

178446508_528034168223322_1453160399745139416_n.png

179030286_133256858818388_2979214271751270477_n.png

I don't think I could of done better (for my needs) at fifty dollars.

Thanks again all.

HARDBALL

Back