Alternative Weapon Carry

Just curious about some alternatives to knives we might need to learn to rely on in our nation's new state of knife hatred and fear. I was thinking along the lines of non metallic knives, batons, pepper spray, sharpened wooden stakes, etc. one idea i'm working on is a knife made out of a solid piece of circuitboard with plasti-dip for the handle. for self defense, anyone think this'll work? please give me your opinions.

brandon:rolleyes:

How about a Surefire 9P flashlight? You can shine the bright light into their eyes, and use the flashlight as a jabbing/impact weapon.

Hell, use a 9Z with the lanyard supplied with it--lash it as demonstrated in Andy Stanford's book "Fight at Night," and you have my namesake for slaps, grabs, punch enhancement, and "lighting up" the BG's life.

It will be very hard, if not impossible to get anything resembling a weopon through an airport. A flashlight may be te best and most legal alternative. You could use a pen if you had to.

Paul

I wonder how large a flashlight would be allowed on board. I have carried my Cold Steel Brute 18" aluminum flashlight on board in the past, but I don't know if I would chance it now.

Axel

Sounds like SureFire may be selling some more M6 flashlights. These are an awesome tool.

Regards,

Ed

i don't only mean for plane travel, i mean for everyday carry

My leather belt is a very formidable weapon that isn't looked at twice in sheeple country. There are a WIDE variety of self defense tactics one can employ with this or a similar object.:cool:

Consider a cane.

It's not exactly subtle, but with even a little practice or training or experience, it is an awesomely effective defensive weapon. Don't go looking for swordcanes or metal or carved combat canes. Get a simple ash or blackthorn or rattan knobstick or crook cane.

Originally posted by Snow
i don't only mean for plane travel, i mean for everyday carry

For everyday carry, until it's illegal in your area, continue to carry your knife. Unfortunately, I don't see any alternative to a knife that is legal, still small enough to comfortably carry all the time, and provides the edge (no pun intended) that a knife does as far as potential fight stoppers.

I do sometimes carry Fox OC spray, and various 2-battery SureFires. OC spray has the potential to be an instant fight-stopper, but it too often barely does anything at all, so I look at it as having a really good jab, and if it works better than that, great. 100 lumens in the eye, especially at night, will likely distract someone momentarily, so it gives you a little leg up on the bad guy, but not much else. Like I said, not really a great candidate to replace a knife.

I'm not a big believer in the various and sundry other little gadgets roaming around. Perhaps some people can make some of these things work, but as a solution for me, I remain sceptical. I'm eyeing the stinger as perhaps an exception, though I'd still take a knife over the stinger any day.

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
I'm eyeing the stinger as perhaps an exception, though I'd still take a knife over the stinger any day.

Silly question:

The flashlight or the comtech?

Cane: I carry one, well walk with one, all the time. I'm 16 (look 18 or 19, not that it matters much, and I dont get to many funny looks. beyond first glance I'm just another cripple,(No offence to those who are, I have my walking troubles [bad knees] too, so this isnt a "dig" at anyone) just a little younger than anyone else.

G-10/Carbon Fiber knives: My Girlfriend carries a g-10 neck knife, that I made. I carried it a little before she claimed it. Its plaine dge, but in my experiments if you put full serrations on one it will cut like mad. Hell-uv-a stabber as it is. Even as non-metallic wouldnt make it through an airport check point.

Solid, heavy duty writing instrument: Dont own any really solid pens, or mechanical pencils, but a Sharpy marker should make a hell of a kubaton. Not as solid as a metal one, but then again humans arent as hard as walls, so its not like you're gonna be pounding it into a rock cliff face.

Flashlights: I dont think you could get a big Mag-light onto a plane. But they are still a good thing to have and to hang onto. I keep one (3-D-Cell) next to my bed (altho I havent used it lately, I like a smaller flash-light for in the house, unless I thought I was gonna need to hit someone with it). A mini-mag light, or a smaller Sure-fire (gotta get one of those) would make a nice impact weapon/pocket stick.

Clothing: Someone mentioned their belt. I think I could hurt someone with a solid leather belt, especially if I had one of my big show buckles on it.
Boots. Pointy toed cowboy boot to the shin isnt fatal, but to an attacker who isnt on PCP or Crank, or similar, it could mean those few seconds in your favor that allow you to get the upper hand. Even work boots, or biker books, are a heck of a lot tougher than sandals or tennies or dress shoes.
Strong shoe laces. Maybe I'm nuts, but if you had the time to get a shoe lace off your shoe you might be able to use it for a garrote (depiration makes ppl capable of some amazing stuff.)
Bandana, lot of people have done things with the bandana, look at the JSP Bandando, and didnt keating do something on Bandana use? I havent ever looked into it, but I think it would be worth looking into.

Watches: Given this some thought lately, since I have started wearing a watch. You could put one to some use, with a little thought, back-handing, and punching with it. Might hurt like hell for you, but if it gives you a couple seconds to grab somethign and do worse damage to a would be attacker, and thus keeps you breathing, a little pain was worth it.

Thermose/Insulated Coffe Mug: I see more and more people walking around with these all the time. And a good number of them are made with a stainles steel shell. And some are quite heavy. A hard blow upside the head from one of these would HURT. A hard blow to the temple, might do worse. Again wouldnt count on it to be fatal, but if it slows them down some....worth a second or even third thought.

Breifcase: I own a Samsonite breifcase, with an aluminium body, and leather cover over that. its got some weight to it, but if you could swing it, a blow to the head, or to the hand of an attacker holding a weapon, has the possibility of being effective as well.
If nothing else, hold it with both hands, and smash it down atop his head, shorten his spine a little.

Hand Bag: For the women, or the guys who realize how much easier it is to tote around all our junque(junk) if we have a bag with a shoulder strap. Mine is small, made from tan cordura, main pocket, small middle pocket, outside pocket, all with zippers, and then a flap over the top. With various stuff in it, pens, palm top (I dont have one, just guessing about othe rstuff) watches, multi tool maybe, pack of cigs (again no I, just guess), or for the ladies, we all know all the stuff they carry aroudn with them.
Not a bad little flail, has some weight to it. Not a main weapon, but enough distraction to draw something else (just as long as it isnt in the bag).

Sit down, and just think about this stuff for a little while....you'll come up with some ideas of your own.

The human mind is a very devious device. Put it to use.

I saw a new wrinkle in this debate this weekend. Not cheap, but sturdy and useful. Can't provide a link because the seller has no Web presence. E-mail me privately--I'll give you my mailing addy & you can send an SASE--I'll send you a copy of his flyer.

BTW--I get no (as in ZERO) $ for this--I think it's a neat idea & the guy could use the business.

If you just want to know what the concept is, e-mail me--that I'll do. I just don't want to being unwelcome heat upon him.

Regardless of whether he is on the web or not, I still think you could tell us what it is you speak of.

Joe S.

I carry a lot of spare change around in a small drawstring leather pouch. W/ about a roll's worth of nickels, its got all the heft of a dedicated sap and is so deniable, the police gave it back to me once after taking me in for CCW. In addition to the $2 worth of weight, the pouch cost me $4 in a hobby store. I've whacked against a tree to test it's sturdiness, and also left a couple welts on myself practicing with it. It's pretty nasty.

Newt Livesay now offers his Whoop Ass-1 sticks in a 36" walking stick length. They won't get on a plane*, but will go most other places.

*At least not at LA International Airport.

I have a belt.
Got at Sears for 25 dollars.
One that you can stuff items into it.
Makes a great club if coins or something heavy is in it.
I should start stuffing a small hack saw blade or a small lock pick in case I get arrested.

Back