Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Each meet seems to be even better than the last one and this one was the best yet IMO. I loved to see all those spydieknuts, there’s a great atmosphere at these gatherings. Also, I loved seeing and handling all those prototypes (and concept models I can’t show you)! I did my best to get as much pics as possible from each model. So without further ado, here’s the Gayle Bradley designed Air.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air.jpg

It’s a nifty little pocket knife. It is clipless and handles as light as pocket lint. This knife has a good edge to handle ratio with a CPM-M4 blade. The silver twill handle is very stylish. I peeked inside the handle to see generously skeletonized handles. I did notice a second little cutout in the liner close to the pivot. Did anyone catch what the purpose was for this cutout? The wharncliffe blade is thin and ends in a needle-like tip. In a way, a surprisingly elegant little folder for a designer who’s known for the big cutting completion knives.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air_hand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air_liners.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_tip.jpg

Great pics! I am glad to see the spine shot and that the blade stock isn't too thick.

I haven't this excited for a new design in a few years at least.

I'm eagerly anticipating the GB Air and this doesn't help :D

Excellent photos as always Wouter! Thank you very much for taking the time to share them...looking forward to more, as well as your thoughts on the upcoming Spydies.

The knife is too small for that.
But the Balance, Chicago, Cricket, Squeak, and Dragonfly are all shorter - and the Urban, Ambitious, Cat, Chaparral, and Leaf Storm are all less than a quarter inch longer in the handle. Maybe they will add it to the design as a later upgrade.

Can't wait to see the other pics, you always do such a great job getting images, Mr Blonde

Oops, I forgot to post one pic of the Air that actually illustrated the question I had about the second cutout in the liner. I as referring to an extra cutout – next to the one for the opening hole. And when I saw the pic it made sense. It’s likely made to help unlocking the liner.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_air_liners1.jpg

Spyderco Prototype 2012 – Dodo Orange G10 Sprint Run

The Dodo lives again, at least long enough for a sprint run in orange G10. It was Eric’s first design he made for Spyderco back in ’98.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_dodosprint.jpg

It features a ‘naked’ ball bearing lock and a single spacer that houses the lock. I love the fact that there are no liners in this knife. Eric was proud to explain that this sprint run was not ‘just the same knife with a color change’. Apparently, the Dodo has been completely re-engineered for this sprint run. This edition uses a blind stop pin and features refinements on the blade’s tang and the ramps for the ball bearing. This sprint Dodo is made to closer tolerances than the first one. The spine of the blade is no longer bead blasted but machined to a nice polish. According to Eric, comparing the first Dodo to this sprint run is good example of the progress the factory in Golden has made over the years.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_dodosprint_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_dodosprint_blade1.jpg

I have used and carried a Dodo a lot when they first came out, and I still occasionally clip on my blue Dodo. This new sprint run seemed to feel more tightly constructed than the old version, if that makes sense. But I didn’t have my old Dodo to compare the two properly.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_dodosprint_choil.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_dodosprint_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_dodosprint_closed.jpg

Eric did announce a new sprint after this Orange G10. Right now the idea is to make another sprint run with a carbon fiber handle and a ceramic ball. Remember this idea is still long way from production - there was not even a concept model of this proposed idea for a sprint run.

Thanks for the pics Mr. Blonde.

Any chance of seeing pics of the Ulize? I recall Sal saying, that the finished version would be ready for the Amsterdam meet.

Back