Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Due to some incidents following the pictures I posted in previous years, I conferred with the Spydercrew and I would like to start this thread by specifically explaining my terms of use for these pictures.

Non-commercial use
To me, this meet and the opportunity to take and post these photos is intended first and foremost for the knifeknuts. If you would like to use, repost, edit etc… any of my pictures for non-commercial use, then you are more than welcome. I would request that you maintain (or add it - in case of editing) the fact that the knives pictured are either concept models, production prototypes or production samples, which I will indicate in each original photo. That way, it becomes clear for other viewers what the status of each design is. In addition, I would appreciate a link to my website www.spydercollector.com as the source for the original image. Again, I would like to encourage you to use these images creatively on your blog, facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, forum posts etc…., if that is something you’d like to do, as long as it´s for non-commercial use.

Commercial use
If you would like to use my images for commercial purposes, e.g. to advance the sale in your web shop, contact me at mrblonde[AT]spydercollector[DOT]com first, to discuss terms of use. Using my images or any part of them in any altered form for commercial use is not allowed without my express written permission. If a discussion should arise whether a particular form of use is considered commercial or not, I will make the final determination to assert my copyright.
Now, on with the show!

Oh, because I forgot in all my excitement, thank you for the hard work you put in for all this. It is much appreciated.

The first knife that was shown and passed around all attendees, was the Sam Owens designed ARK prototype neck knife. The design apparently came about through forum discussions and ideas. The knife was meant to be carried everywhere and always. This particular design was intended to be a self defense tool for the military to help protect against rape attacks in the showers, from other servicemen. The ARK will feature H1 steel and an injection molded sheath.

To me, the knife was a really nice small and lightweight neck knife. I’m sure it will be a breeze to carry all the time. The extreme curve of the blade should prove useful for many other tasks than just self defense. I would probably add a little lanyard to improve the grip.

Ted was a great help during the meet, and when I asked his help to get me a blade length measurement, he collected way more than that!

The measurements of the ARK prototype are approximately as follows:
Overall Length: 12,6 cm / 4.96 inches
Edge Length: 5,5 cm / 2.16 inches
Blade Length: 6,7 cm / 2.63
Blade Thickness: 0,2 cm / 0.07 inches

Sal and Eric provided a lot of information and background stories for each design. Any mistakes in these descriptions are mine alone. If you attended the meet and picked up some other information on this and the other prototypes in this thread, please add that information to this thread.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_arksheath.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_ark_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_ark_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_ark_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_ark_sheath.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_ark_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productuctionprototype_ark_1.jpg

Thanks again for doing this for us every year. I always look forward to your posts. I can't wait to see what's to come.

Thank you very much as I enjoy your work every year.I am hoping to see some new Golden produced prototypes!

Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for posting. I hope there are small flippers in store ....

I enjoy your threads with protoypes mr blonde. Looking forward to more pictures.

This particular design was intended to be a self defense tool for the military to help protect against rape attacks in the showers, from other servicemen. The ARK will feature H1 steel and an injection molded sheath.

uhhh..... ok. That's an extremely specific purpose; it's a self defense knife, but wait... there's more. It's specifically designed for potential rape victims, but wait... there's more. It's especially made for military rape victims who are showering when the rape is initiated. They actually had the forethought to design it out of H1, hot Army showers rust regular stainless way too quickly. I would like to see the forum discussions that brought this purpose built knife about.

Great pictures otherwise. I can't wait to see what else they put out. I'm not in the military, but I do take showers, so I'm still on the fence about this one.

uhhh..... ok. That's an extremely specific purpose; it's a self defense knife, but wait... there's more. It's specifically designed for potential rape victims, but wait... there's more. It's especially made for military rape victims who are showering when the rape is initiated. They actually had the forethought to design it out of H1, hot Army showers rust regular stainless way too quickly. I would like to see the forum discussions that brought this purpose built knife about.

Great pictures otherwise. I can't wait to see what else they put out. I'm not in the military, but I do take showers, so I'm still on the fence about this one.

This is exactly what I thought when I read that post...I mean...what!?

I very much appreciate the photos, Mr Blonde. Actually, these are just as exciting to me as the new catalog every year:D

Yes, thanks a lot for these threads, a pleasure every year.

I really like the ARK. I thought the handle would be skeletonized, like on the early versions, which I personally didn't like so much on such a small handle, but with the G-10 scales it looks much more practical, good work. Can't wait to see the rest of the prototypes...

This is exactly what I thought when I read that post...I mean...what!?
Why is it surprising that Spyderco would produce a knife designed or requested to perform one specific task, but useful for a number of other things as well? How many people who buy a Warrior will ever actually need to de-animate a sentry?

Back