1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

AMTAC Northman

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Fletcher.357, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Fletcher.357

Fletcher.357

Jul 6, 2013
    Anybody have or handled one that cares to share some thoughts?
    I'm on the fence about buying one. I'm sold on pocket carried fixed blades, and I really like the design on this one. My only concern is that is 450 bucks.

2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Seems overpriced for what you're getting in my opinion. Lots of great makers here with better value and less hype;)

Bigfattyt, benchwarmer380 and Quiet like this.
  3. clearytja

clearytja

Oct 17, 2002
    I looked at them too. Kinda want one, however, I think it has many things in common with the Blood Shark...two of them negatives. One: over hyped/ priced for what you get. Two: the handles seem like they would be very uncomfortable. Like they were designed to be 5 inches long, not 3.5 inches.

4. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Another absurdly expensive product being sold under the guise that "This is worth it because it was designed by ultra high speed low drag SWATSEALSpec-ops people". :rolleyes:

Bigfattyt and WValtakis like this.
  5. Gravy

Gravy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Hot damn, that's Sebenza money...

Sharp & Fiery and WValtakis like this.
  6. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    That knife was featured recently in the Sept./Oct. issue of Knives Illustrated, and I had the same thought as the others above. And it wasn't the only overpriced knife they featured. I'm getting the impression that they're just shilling for these various knife makers, and wondering just how honest their reviews are. For example, here and elsewhere on the 'net people are expressing concerns with the Spyderco Paysan lockup and detent, yet in that same issue they reviewed that knife and did not even mention this potential issue. Of course you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt, but I prefer sorting out the things I read here and elsewhere on the internet than what they're offering in these mags.

7. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    That's like..... the most expensive combo edge I've ever seen!

8. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    The steel seems overkill for it’s intended use as well, adding unneeded cost. At least it comes with a trainer.

9. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    ;) Well , I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff , but not for $450 ! Maybe for $200 or less . :confused:

Here's a look , FF past the shovel ! :rolleyes:

10. Fletcher.357

Fletcher.357

Jul 6, 2013
    That's what's I'm thinking. At 300 I would probably be all in, but 450 is a little steep.

11. frank852

frank852

Dec 16, 2016
    Price point and worth is in the eye of the beholder, as for the hype and what the few bags of hot wind are contributing to the thread. I would suggest get out from behind your desk and enjoy the outside it may do you some good.

12. Gravy

Gravy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Never mind :rolleyes:

13. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Says another windbag who feels his opinion outweighs the opinions of those of us who know better. :)

Additionally, the irony of suggesting "enjoy the outside" when discussing a knife that was clearly made for super black bag elite beret magician units to use for sentry removal actually made me laugh. So, thanks for that!

craytab, WValtakis and benchwarmer380 like this.
  14. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Well enjoy the outside unless you happen to be on sentry duty.
    [​IMG]

15. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Great first post :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that insulting others doesn't go over well here. Enjoy your stay.

On topic, what a horribly over priced tiny blade. Hard pass.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Quiet and WValtakis like this.
  16. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    A "sterile" version!

Man, you are some kind of super secret bad mofo when you can't even risk your knife being traced back to you!

:D:D:D:D:D

To each their own but my advice is, if you insist on having a knife for personal defense, it should only be for personal defense. Always sharp. Carry something else for all those emergency rope-cutting, cardboard slicing, bark shaving, and fire starting needs.

$450! :rolleyes:

Quiet likes this.
  17. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Oh man, I missed that you can carry a hidden tactical black cuff key!

Bigfattyt likes this.
  18. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Yeppo, for all those times that civilians* get wrongly handcuffed. LOL

* The only people who will buy this, so they can get a whiff of super tacticool urban elite spec-ops units freshness

Bigfattyt and Eli Chaps like this.
  19. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Or; the guy making it is a bit embarrassed.

Knife Maker Alan Smithee

Bigfattyt and Quiet like this.
  20. frank852

frank852

Dec 16, 2016
    And the hot air still blows ... troll away