• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad An unfortunately horrible experience with True North Knives

Just for some context and clarity, my only conversation with Neil was 20 years ago, as I stated.

I called to ask a few questions about a Brian Tighe Rhino knife that Neil had in stock.

After a few questions, and in the middle of another - Neil interrupted and said, "Look, do you want to buy the knife, or not?"

My response was a hard "No".

I don't know if Neil was distracted, busy or just having a bad day. It really doesn't matter. End of story.

I already admitted, twice I believe, that I acted poorly in our transaction.)
Then let's just end it there. No need to call people a joke and continue to drag this out. I want you to be able to continue providing for your family by being a knife dealer and to just learn from your mistakes but you're making it difficult by attacking others and continuing to speak rudely like that.

Wow.

I’ll just call Neil the “Anti-Jordan.”

I won’t be browsing TNK anymore.

Irrespective of the OP’s issue and the hacked twitter, to be clear, Neil, it’s your tone and conduct in this thread that ensures I will never do business with you.

This will be my last comment here. So the rest of you can all jump in afterwards and get your last words.

I’m not clueless at all. I’ve been a full-time Knife dealer for 30 years. I’m not perfect. I make mistakes which I’ve already admit it I did to the OP.

From what I see in this whole thread the OP is the only person that has ever had a bought an knife or other item and the rest of you were all gang banging.

I know that some of you “liking” the crap posts about me and I know a lot of you and I can tell you that I’ve bent over backwards gone out of my way to do everything possible to get you guys what you wanted in a timely fashion.

Finally you will be happy to know that my Miami Dolphins lost to the Buffalo Bills.

Have a great week.
Neil, you showed up here ranting like a madman at people who seemingly aren't even in this thread. Are you off your meds? I've never seen such unhinged behaviour on this forum.

Just for some context and clarity, my only conversation with Neil was 20 years ago, as I stated.

I called to ask a few questions about a Brian Tighe Rhino knife that Neil had in stock.

After a few questions, and in the middle of another - Neil interrupted and said, "Look, do you want to buy the knife, or not?"

My response was a hard "No".

I don't know if Neil was distracted, busy or just having a bad day. It really doesn't matter. End of story.
Wow he asked if you wanted to buy a knife you called him about...How rude...

Great memory though to remember a 10 word sentence 20 years later...

Don’t forget, the supposed defective $700 knife was kept 😀

Last edited:
This will be my last comment here. So the rest of you can all jump in afterwards and get your last words.

I’m not clueless at all. I’ve been a full-time Knife dealer for 30 years. I’m not perfect. I make mistakes which I’ve already admit it I did to the OP.

From what I see in this whole thread the OP is the only person that has ever had a bought an knife or other item and the rest of you were all gang banging.

I know that some of you “liking” the crap posts about me and I know a lot of you and I can tell you that I’ve bent over backwards gone out of my way to do everything possible to get you guys what you wanted in a timely fashion.

Finally you will be happy to know that my Miami Dolphins lost to the Buffalo Bills.

Have a great week.
I was all ready to buy a Shiro from you until you started with your asshattery, no wonder you think OP was the only one who has ACTUALLY bought a knife from you in this thread.
You probably drove all the potential sales away with all your douchiness...

The customer isn’t always right, but the customer should come first. When the area is gray, a smart business will figure out how to assist the customer the best they are able. Even in the most blatant situations of abuse, the business should be courteous. A smart business doesn’t sell something to someone as a singular transaction.. they’re selling to them in the hopes they’ll sell to them again in the future.

Sometimes you can be “right” and lose a customer.. or “understanding” and gain one for life. TNK should have kept it objective, received in the knife for a return inspection, and then contacted the buyer to explain the options offered. Making assumptions about what you heard on the phone is so ridiculous, presumptive, and ego-based I can’t believe they even brought it up.
This is a very smart and well thought out reply. Second this as a lifetime career involving the best in customer service.

I was all ready to buy a Shiro from you until you started with your asshattery, no wonder you think OP was the only one who has ACTUALLY bought a knife from you in this thread.
You probably drove all the potential sales away with all your douchiness...
I’ve bought several from this place, NO MORE!!!

Neil when someone wants a refund?

32788689.jpg

Lol, wut?
I think he meant "dog-piling"
Dog-piling, or a dog-pile is a form of online harassment or online abuse characterized by having groups of harassers target the same victim. Examples of online abuse include flaming, doxing, impersonation, and public shaming

I think he meant "dog-piling"
Dog-piling, or a dog-pile is a form of online harassment or online abuse characterized by having groups of harassers target the same victim. Examples of online abuse include flaming, doxing, impersonation, and public shaming
Um, they mean the same thing in this context, except using the term "gang-bang" when you could have said "dog piling" is the totally uncouth and wildly inappropriate thing to do. Saying "gang-bang" when you should have said "dig piling" actual fits Neil's presence here perfectly.

Belatedly responding just to say that I had the same experience with him, an exceptionally rude man. I would rather throw all of my knife collection away then buy another single thing from him. If you read this Neil, change your ways.

Hey friends, I had a rather unfortunate experience with Neil from True North Knives and I'm honestly still upset by it.
I understand people make mistakes in life but to not own up to it and apologize when you're wrong is where I draw the line.

Backstory:
I purchased a Large 31 Macassar Inlay from TNK. It arrived Friday the 9th, I unboxed it the next morning, Saturday the 10th, and realized the knife is extremely stiff out of the box with lock stick.
I own 6 CRK folders and I've never received one this stiff out of the box. I handled it for a handful of minutes with a glove and put it back in it's box and decided I will return it since I purchased it with the intent to gift to my buddy as his first CRK. I didn't want to give him a knife this stiff out of the box and risk it not breaking in normally.

I called TNK and left a 56 second voicemail explaining that I just had a chance to unbox and inspect the knife and that I'd like to return it because it was purchased as a gift for my buddy and I'd rather not gift a knife that's so stiff. (While I was on the call I was fidgeting my Hinderer Eklipse because, you know, I'm a knife nut!! lol)

I followed up with two emails, the first explaining I'd like to return it; the second saying to give me a call at their earliest convenience so that they can help me choose another CRK from their inventory so I can exchange the knife and that way they can keep my business..

Long story short I received an email back with an RMA from Neil, and everything was kosher. He told me he doesn't hold any of his inventory in person and that he uses a third party to ship out all his knives and that he can't exchange it for me and to call another dealer who'd be willing to pick out the perfect knife for me. (weird, but cool, understandable).

Sunday night I examined the knife again and decided that I will keep and gift my buddy this knife because I really like the wood grain and I know he would too and I didn't want to pass on it.

On Monday I was going to email Neil and let him know I'm keeping the knife and to cancel my RMA, but I never got around to it because one of my buddies dogs suddenly passed and I went over to console him.

A few hours later I received this email from Neil:

View attachment 2017527

Throughout our email exchanges I was nothing but respectful to Neil and I had mentioned to him that I want my business to stay with him because TNK was recommended by a CRK Fanpage Admin whom I respect. To deny me the opportunity to return/exchange a $670 knife over his insanely false assumptions absolutely blew my mind. I was appalled and outraged by his response. Thank goodness I decided to keep this knife because dealing with him after this would've been a nightmare.

I understand that he's human and it's an honest mistake to assume I was flicking open and close the knife I was calling about to return but to respond in the manner that he did really got under my skin and he didn't even bother questioning me if the knife I was fidgeting in the background of my voicemail was the knife I'd be returning. What made me even more upset was him not responding to me after I responded to that email. I told Neil I'm returning this knife because it's insanely stiff and he's assuming I'm flicking it around like a Hinderer. Totally clueless....

Can you order from TNK after this and have a good experience? Most likely, yes. But my buddies and I will never give Neil our business again. Honestly, if he were to have just responded to my email or gave me a call and have a normal human conversation I would've more than understood, because I'm human and make mistakes too. But Neil chose not to and he didn't act in good faith and that is precisely why I decided to make this post and why I will never give him my hard earned money again.

If you're interested in my reply to Neil I will attach it below. I was incredibly irate when I wrote it.

View attachment 2017542
I had a similar experience recently. Purchased a CRK and after receiving I decided it just wasn't for me. Website states clearly that there is a week period to review and return. Asked for RMA. Received a response via email but it was July 4th and was not monitoring emails. I get a call from Neil at 7p that night asking why I haven't responded. It was very in your face and off putting. I spoke to him that the knife just wasn't for me, he said he would send an RMA. That email comes and states we will consider accepting a return and if there is anything at all that shows wear, its going back. I had told him I pulled it out of the box and that was it. From this point I decided I didnt want to work with them. So I answered him back advised I wanted to keep it. I was just going to list on the Bay and be done with it. The story ends interestingly. My IP address has now been blocked to his website. Its too bad as I had purchased another CRK from him in the past. Done with this guy and his weirdness.

Back