Andy - I CHOOSE YOU!

Damn. I'm glad I was busy Monday and couldn't come by. No flu for me! Tell that little girl to get better and that the weirdo that comes by sends his best wishes.

Hope the lil one gets better soon Andy. I also hope no one else catches it.

Take care

I apologize guys. I've completely slacked on this. Hannah's softball season ended last night, so my coaching duties are over. I'll get busy on this.

Hey man, you have a life outside of Knife Making. I know I'm in no rush, but I'm probably just as excited as Tal or anyone else for this knife. Take your time on it, we want it to be perfect. :thumbup:

Yes. I'll post pics today. I have a wooden model of the blade made up and a drawing.

Alrighty. What I wound up doing here is realizing that the old Bushcrafter Jr is almost the spitting image of what you need. So I took out the old pattern, and did some playing. The handle was too short, so I made it 4.5" long. The blade was a smidge too long, so I shortened and spear pointed it. The drawing looked OK, so I made a pattern. What do you think?

Attachments

• bust100_1113 .jpg
    bust100_1113 .jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 160
  • bust100_1116 .jpg
    bust100_1116 .jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 118
  • bust100_1117 .jpg
    bust100_1117 .jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 131
That looks excellent Andy.

Looking at the model, I starting thinking that a bolster might be cool. Would that be going to far? (Understood that that would require more time/money.) Just thinking out loud here.

Love the full sized handle!

TF, whadya think? You're the man on this one.

You hit it Andy - I like how the butt end scoops down in the drawing - did you replicate that deep of a scoop in the wooden mock up?

Only change I would make is: Can you take a little off the guard - I know that is part of your 'look' but I think you can capture the spirit of the look while having less guard. I want to easily transition my fingers from the handle to the blade when I choke up. Enough guard to know it is there - but not enough to get in the way.

I wouldn't want a bolster on this knife - although it would be an easy addition to others knives.

I also think you will change it some as you actually make one.

I think you have a winner here Andy - I am PSYCHED to see the first one come off the grinder!

TF

Last edited:
A few Bushie Jr's.

100_9394-vi.jpg

Later version:

fea12-vi.jpg

SRW325-vi.jpg

I like the reworking - the bushie jr. seems almost like a kephart style blade - and I like the spear point that you ground out in the prototype above.

However, I think it is time to come clean. You walk around with your wooden knife mock-ups and have sword fights with your kids don't you?

TF

However, I think it is time to come clean. You walk around with your wooden knife mock-ups and have sword fights with your kids don't you?

I didn't think it even needed asking, just assumed....

Hey TF,

Do you think there is a downside to adding bolsters? Or just an aesthetics question? I suppose bolsters would add a little weight.

Andy, what's your thought on the bolsters? Would you want to add them? (I know you said you could, but would you?)

Back