Announcing the NEW 486 Saibu!

Cocobolo is too oily a wood to take stabilization

"Stabilized" Cocobolo is... suspect. I would be interested to understand more.

The wood used for the inlay is a "stabilized wood" laminate with a "cocobolo" color. It's not actually cocobolo wood.

Cocobolo is too oily a wood to take stabilization

Well, I didn't want to be too critical so I left it as 'hmmm, tell me more...' But one eyebrow was raised.

The wood used for the inlay is a "stabilized wood" laminate with a "cocobolo" color. It's not actually cocobolo wood.

Thanks, Jimmy. Truth in advertising aside, for small, detail inlays I can imagine this may actually be a better approach than a small piece of solid material.

Just pre-ordered mine. Have all the other Nakamura's, and have been carrying the 484-1 a lot lately.

I really like the look of the Nakamura designs and might be on board for this knife.

Question for Benchmade Benchmade : I have a 484-1601 and I have trouble with the thumbstuds snagging when I pull the knife out of my pocket. It seems like they're just a fraction of an inch too tall. Does the 486 use the same size studs of are the a little shorter? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks!

I really like the look of the Nakamura designs and might be on board for this knife.

Question for Benchmade Benchmade : I have a 484-1601 and I have trouble with the thumbstuds snagging when I pull the knife out of my pocket. It seems like they're just a fraction of an inch too tall. Does the 486 use the same size studs of are the a little shorter? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks!

These thumb studs stick out as well. They have to be taller to allow for the wood inlay.

These thumb studs stick out as well. They have to be taller to allow for the wood inlay.
Thanks for the quick answer! Do you happen to know if there are any low profile stud options for the 484 and 486?

Thanks for the quick answer! Do you happen to know if there are any low profile stud options for the 484 and 486?

For the 486 you could use 485 thumb studs. I don't know of any low profile options for the 484.

:thumbsup: very tempting, I need to see this in person. first thought in my mind is, can i use the scales without the wood inlays for more weight reduction. :D

:thumbsup: very tempting, I need to see this in person. first thought in my mind is, can i use the scales without the wood inlays for more weight reduction. :D

Yeah you could...it would be kinda weird. :eek:

Just completely remove the thumb studs from any 484. Just use the Axis lock to open & close it, forget about the problematic thumb studs.

I've not seen the problem on my 486 yet, if it shows I'll do the same solution.

Had my 486 almost a week, Super smooth just like a 484, mini deep carry clip works great. As I said above no problem yet with studs pulling the blade open when drawing the knife out of pocket. QC tip, top no issues. Perfect size for my small hands, larger+ hands wouldn't be happy.

I have been edc mine for the past couple weeks. It is a great looking knife, I love the blade steel, but today I went back to my Northfork. The Saibu is much more a dress up/office carry knife IMO. The handle is a little small and the blade a little thin to have it do anything but light tasks. The Northfork still reigns supreme for a small moderate task EDC. Don't get me wrong the Saibu is awesome, but it is my go to church knife.

Got a Saibu couple of weeks ago, superb little knife the design is tremendous compared to what's out there, everything was perfect and it functions like a dream. The only complaint would be the cocobolo scales on mine are really really dark so have no effect. Can you buy new scales for them i'd like a lighter pair for sure, schoolboy error on my behalf not asking the online shop to check for lighter scales. Big fan of this design kudos to Benchmade and Nakamura perfect little edc gents pocket knife.

Back