1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Announcing the NEW 537 BAILOUT!

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by BKC Customer Service, Mar 27, 2019.

1. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The design is growing on me. I wish I could see just how thin it is. Also wish BM was running the steel a bit harder.

2. din

din

Feb 16, 2006
    What's the hardness?

3. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    If I recall correctly, it's around 57 hrc. Which is 4 or 5 points lower than is optimal, based on what I've read.

Cypress likes this.
  4. Popsickle

Popsickle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Yikes....

58-60 is great for production

5. din

din

Feb 16, 2006
    That's too bad. I was looking forward to picking one up.

6. tomhosang

tomhosang Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2017
    I heard 56-58

7. Filthyj24

Filthyj24

Jan 5, 2016
    I was "lucky" enough to get a pretty uneven factory grind so I took that as an opportunity to de-tanto-ify the knife. I'm pretty pleased with the results. [​IMG] [​IMG]

kreole, Dallas T, Jaydud and 5 others like this.
  8. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Looks a lot like the Olamic tanto shape now. I think the original looked a lot like the CRK tanto shape. Both are good things to me!

Filthyj24 likes this.
  9. din

din

Feb 16, 2006
    I guess that's awesome if you need to sharpen it on a soggy graham cracker.

10. Jaydud

Jaydud Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Nice job on the profile. I actually thought about doing the same just not confident enough in my skills.

Filthyj24 likes this.
  11. Filthyj24

Filthyj24

Jan 5, 2016
    I am by no means a professional, but it wasn't all that difficult. Getting a polished edge on my Altitude took me more time than reprofiling the Bailout. It took me a little over an hour using a whetstone, sharpmaker and a leather strop. I haven't really beat on the knife yet but I can say Benchmade's 3V is much easier to work with/softer than their S90V. Hopefully that means it will be tougher.

Speaking of toughness, I want to give S90V some love since the internet likes to bash it for being "too brittle." The other day I was helping my wife cook dinner. Naturally I used my Altitude to cut anything and everything that presented me with the opportunity. Afterwards I rinsed my blade off in the sink and gave it a few hard shakes to dry. My wife said something as I was doing this so I turned to look at her and WACK!

I had slammed my knife, blade first into our marble/granite countertop. My heart sank and I quickly checked the edge fearing the worst. To my surprise there was only a small nick near the sharpening choil. After a little tlc on the stones you can't even tell it was chipped. I'd be curious to see how 3V and S30V would fair under the same circumstances.

12. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Still on the fence about this one, especially since I could “de tanto” it pretty easily. I want to see some actual cut test performance and/or HRC info, from what I’ve read, 3V excels at 59-60, below that it’s too soft and above that the excellent toughness fades away quickly.

Kind of wish they had gone 4V here, it’s just as tough and has much better wear resistance.

13. Brent F

Brent F

Aug 26, 2017
    I really want one of these. Kind of reminds me of my benchmade/emerson cqc7. That was my first "high dollar" knife I bought.

mrfields likes this.
  14. dano

dano

Oct 3, 1998
    The handles need another stand off. They flex too much in relation to length. Just an opinion...and probably do-able by a good modder.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  15. Popsickle

Popsickle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Someone has checked the hardness of theirs on Instagram twice and it read
    In the 55’s - 56. Shameful

16. Carlito86

Carlito86

Apr 28, 2017
    If this Is true,not only I will cancel the order but I Will literally stop buying their products. They are a knife company,not a gadget Company. This Is serious.

17. Cypress

Cypress Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Pm2og on Instagram has been testing the Bailout and found it being outperformed by BD1N and CTS-XHP in both edge retention and toughness.

kreole and Mo2 like this.
  18. Carlito86

Carlito86

Apr 28, 2017
    This Is not serious,this Is a total waste in this case, why do It in this way???

19. PeterS84

PeterS84 Sharpening addict, collector of "super steels" Gold Member

May 9, 2018
    Just ordered one with a drop point regrind. I guess we'll see how it is.

Carlito86 likes this.
  20. Dallas T

Dallas T

Apr 6, 2013
    I just got one, I like it it’s surprisingly sturdy but does flex a bit when being pressed on. But no more than say the flex of a spydie lockback never had a bugout for comparison. upload_2019-5-14_18-10-53.jpeg

Attached Files:

Filthyj24 likes this.