Another Restoration

Really looks great nice work šŸ‘šŸ‘

Maybe the previous owner only used something like JB weld or liquid steel ? If it was one of those you could probably remove it.
I dunnoā€¦. If it was that, methinks you ainā€™t ā€œremovingā€ that. It basically becomes part of the object. But itā€™s actual welds anyway.

I saw this one for sale and was like ā€œyeeeeesh, that might be toastā€.

@donā€™t drop it. - glad to see sheā€™s holding up. Iā€™d just beat the shit out of it and enjoy it. If it fails itā€™ll be neat seeing what JB and crew can do for it after a bottle of JW black label.

Hhahahaha. Holy crap. It was actual welds, not just of the JB variety.

I wonder how deep into a bottle of 90proof they were when they broke out the welder.
I still have to wonder, "Why?!"
I mean, even if you don't use the saw... I don't think they were in the way of anything. I mean, even beating on them to baton... they're not going to chew it up so quickly that they need to go away.

I still have to wonder, "Why?!"
I mean, even if you don't use the saw... I don't think they were in the way of anything. I mean, even beating on them to baton... they're not going to chew it up so quickly that they need to go away.

Not to mention the amount of work it took to do that. The welding likely tempered the spine a bit so that might be the only differentially tempered piece of INFI in the world. šŸ˜‚

I hope the weld didnt mess up the heat treat.

The question isn't if the welding affected the HT. The question is how far down the blade did it do so, hence my comment above, that it is now differentially tempered. lol. There is no doubt that the spine is softer than the edge. But it may actually be harder. If they welded without trying to keep cool, which they can't do so. You can't throw water on active welding. So you have to wait till it's over. The smart thing is to do one tooth valley, let it cool, then do the next. Could take a few hours if done right. Even then, the temps for welding can be over 1500F. So how far down did the high heat go? Did it go halfway or all the way to the edge.

Back