Antique New York Knife Company Knives and Company History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric, Yes Yes... My eyes are not the best but not to recognize no end cap is really bad... Good catch. Perhaps a 2295? the bolster does not appear right on the 2741. Dang these things all look the same.. Shields I am quite certain were interchanged at times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, and ea42 ea42 : my knife certainly looks a lot like the 2741 model.
The bolsters are indeed a bit different.

So is the tang stamp of the arm holding the hammer btw.
On most knives in this thread the tang stamp shows a shorter upper arm section with a bulging bicep, while on mine the upper arm is more elongated and without that pronounced bicep.
Speculating i would say that the bulging bicep could be seen as an improvement from a marketing point of view, making the tang stamp on my knife an older version.
What do you guys think ?

Stole this picture with the more muscular arm from this thread:

And this is the stamp on my knife:

Last edited:
As i intend to carry & use this well made old knife for a while i'm treating it to some TLC.
Already cleaned everything thoroughly using toothpicks, an old toothbrush, an ultrasonic cleaner, and also electrolytically.
Then removed the bladeplay in the pivot and gave the old wood panels a few coats of IKEA mineral oil and a topcoat of Granger's wax.

Currently in the process of reshaping & regrinding the blades, the points of which now don't stick out of the handle in the closed position anymore.
This is the smaller blade after hand regrinding it ever so slightly convex on 400 grit wet & dry SiC paper clamped on a piece of hardened glass using WD40 as a lubricant.
There's a visible burr all along the edge, so it's now ready for one or more refining steps.
The single sided swedge was redone with a small diamond file.

Last edited:
How the main blade currently looks.
It's surfaces have for now been finished on 1000 grit wet & dry on a semi-hard rubber backing using WD40 oil as a lubricant.
A microbevel has been applied on the white sticks of a Spyderco Sharpmaker at the ~30 degrees inclusive setting, again using some WD40.
The smaller blade is next.

Last edited:
Interesting background information about the American pocketknife industry, by Walden village historian Mary Ellen Matise:

Wow! Cal that's a fantastic NYK! What a beautiful example!

Thanks for the vid Kwackster, very informative!

Eric

Beauty! Impressive stag!

BSA NO. 2:

ahGOLwQ.png

I just took a knife apart made by this company. I have never seen a knife of this size (3-3/8” closed) have such small pins in it , 1/16” for all of them, including pivot. One other odd thing about it are the blades; They are exceptionally broad from the pivot hole to the bottom of the blade. None of the blades that I have here, from any manufacturer, will work with the back springs in this knife. So if any of you are needing parts from this knife, let me know.

Last edited:
Mike, what was the master blade on that knife? A spear?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back