any bourbon drinkers here?

Enjoying some Buffalo Trace myself this week, sort of alternating between that and 1792 Small Batch.

I don't think I have ever tried Basil Hayden that I can recall. I did splurge once on Angel's Envy and as I recall at the time I didn't see what was all that special about it compared to other less expensive bourbons. Seemed a little harsh when sipped neat. It has been a couple of years, so my memory isn't fresh. However, I decided it wasn't worth the extra money.

I tried some Maker's 46 recently, and you know, it was pretty good. It still may have been priced up a notch because of the name but I liked it.

From left to right:

• Blantons “Original” (93 Proof) - shared with friends
  • Blantons “Gold Edition” (103 Proof) - shared with really good friends
  • Blantons “Straight from the Barrel” (130.9 Proof) - I don’t like anyone enough to share this
C0E7CF09-A33E-4817-8D55-D7AD08E51BC5.jpeg

Anything in the $20-$40 range is considered kinda "budget" these days if you're looking for good bourbon. Bourbon prices have skyrocketed over the past several years as demand for the higher priced stuff drove folks down to the mid-range, which made mid-range bottles even more scarce which drove those prices up, and so on and so on... That said, there are still plenty of budget friendly options that make for nice sippers. Johnny Drum is an excellent choice, as is pretty much anything Old Forrester does. People have mentioned most of these already, but if you can find Eagle Rare, there aren't many better on the lower end of the price spectrum. Four Roses (all of 'em) is awesome, and priced well considering the quality. A lot depends on the retailers; some mark up significantly higher than they should on bottles that should be really affordable (like most of the Weller stuff if you can even find that). I happen to love Elijah Craig, but wish they hadn't moved away from the age statement on the 12 year. Don't sleep on the ryes either. There's a huge market out there right now for rye, and some are incredible. Anyway, I could go on for days about whiskey, but I won't.

Opened a bottle that I bought a few years ago (Hooker's House)...nose and initial taste were pretty alcohol forward; but once past that the flavor isn't that bad. (Don't get me wrong, I wont buy it again, lol)
Finish is brief, with the only memory being a slight tingle on the tongue that dissipates almost as quickly as the taste.
I'll finish the bottle; but it won't be as quick as the stuff I enjoy. (It's a little better tonight).

Regarding the above - I have to admit that this is a good bit more enjoyable now that the bottle has gotten some air. Not enough so to change my mind about grabbing another bottle; but at least finishing this one won't be an unpleasant experience.

Had a glass of Maker's 46 at B-I-L's house a week ago. He couldn't stop talking about how "smooth" it is. I found it much more to my liking than the regular MM, with more body, more complexity, and more wood. Definitely an acceptable pour. But not rushing out to get one for myself. I think I'm discovering that I prefer rye in the mash bill over wheat.

Buffalo Trace is keeping its place as my budget bourbon for the foreseeable future.
Made old-fashioned cocktails with it for F-I-L and myself last week. 2nd best I've had.
(Best was "grilled pineapple OF" at a Brazilian steakhouse, made with Bulleit Rye. Highlight of the meal. Have no idea how to duplicate it.)

Wife and I went on an actual date last Friday. I ordered a "winter old fashioned" which used walnut bitters and some sort of walnut liqueur. It was quite tasty, too. I could tell they used a nice Bourbon in it. I inquired which - and it was BT.
That stuff does mix well! But I still like it straight.

Wife had grabbed a magnum of Jim Beam white label a few years ago for a party. It's just been sitting there taking up space in the liquor cabinet. So, for the big game, I mixed up a batch of Old Fashioned using the same base recipe I used for the BT ones (1 drop angostura bitters, 1/2 t simple syrup, and 1/2 t filtered water per oz of bourbon), but I also dumped in the dregs of the Tennessee Honey that's also been hogging cabinet space (turned out to be about 1/2 t per oz, as well.)
Not as good as the good stuff, but perfectly palatable over a glass of ice. And it freed up some much needed space!

F-I-L replaced the Buffalo Trace.
I was looking for something interesting.
Didn't grab the last bottle of Blanton's when I saw it at the local grocery - thinking I'd "get it next time." It's gone now. BevMo say's they're backordered at least 4 weeks. Kicking myself...
Although it sounds right up my alley, due to several positive but "not worth the money" reviews of Angel's Envy, I was going to pass. But the same grocery store had it on sale for just over $40, so I picked one up.
Probably open it this weekend. Will definitely share my thoughts.

I also made off with 3 highly-rated, decent ($50-$60, 12-15 year) bottles of Scotch - but I'm afraid that's for another thread.

Last edited:
Well.
I opened the Angels Envy.

All the reviews say it's a really nice bourbon with hints of cherry and port. I don't know what they're drinking.

On the nose, I get ethanol and bananas.
On the palate, very strong ethanol, some oak, a tiny bit of vanilla and actual bourbon-ness.
Then, the finish brings the bananas back.
It actually has a long finish, and gets better as it progresses. Goes through tropical fruits, and ends up tasting kinda like peach.
I love peaches. Actually, I love fresh, slightly green, bananas, too.
Or banana bread with browned butter and brown sugar - and some Buffalo Trace.
Don't care much for banana chips, or imitation banana flavor - and that's kinda what I pick up here.
So far - glad I got it on sale, and not loving it.
But it's just one man's opinion - and he's hoping it'll change next time. Otherwise I'll be looking for bourbon cocktails that go with banana.
Kind of a toss-up between Eagle Rare bubblegum and Angel's Envy banana. But neither rises to the top of my list, or even to a buy-again rating.

Hmmmmm....
I like Angel' s Envy as a (very) occasional sipper. I liked the cask strength better, and have two bottles stashed away.
Eagle Rare has more spice and a little bite to it. Again, I like it; but only buy a bottle for myself every year or two.
I'm probably a bit of an anomaly, in that I feel almost the same way about Blantons. I enjoy it when I have it; but I'm never all that compelled to buy another bottle. (One of the local shops gets their own barrels of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Knob Creek Single Barrel; and I prefer either of those to Blantons... the fact that they're a good bit easier on the wallet is a bonus)

tjswarbrick tjswarbrick
If you haven't already, try Four Roses Small Batch and Henry McKenna Single Barrel. Both are enjoyable, and budget friendly

tjswarbrick tjswarbrick
If you haven't already, try Four Roses Small Batch and Henry McKenna Single Barrel. Both are enjoyable, and budget friendly
Thanks.
Cut my teeth on the Four Roses. Liked it but not as much as Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek Reserve. Haven't tried it since, though. May be worth a revisit.

Jim Beam Black isn't bad, for under $30.
Sipping some Cask Strength Maker's Mark, at the moment.

Been drinking Buffalo Trace for a daily "drinking" bourbon. Sometimes Dickel. Eagle Rare is one of my all-time favorites...Split a barrel with some guys a few years ago. Fun times.

Was given this Pappy in 2012, but just opened it last year...

I’ve paid 17.99 for a handle(1.75 liters)and finished it without becoming sick. Once you’ve had about 4-6 ounces of the good stuff it’s better to switch the to a budget brand like Costco or Total. Kentucky has some strict rules on what can be called Bourbon and even the cheap stuff isn’t rotgut.

I've been remiss...

Still not loving the Angel's Envy, but it made some killer Old Fashioned's a couple weeks ago. Works well with orange blossom and maraschino cherry.

Last Friday, wife took me out for my birthday. Stopped into a small chain gourmet burger joint (that recently supplanted a pizza joint, where a longtime steakhouse used to reside) after dinner just because the bar looked hopping.
Turns out they focus on craft brews and bourbons.
I got a flight.
Old Grandad. Weller 107. Four Roses Single Barrel. And Buffalo Trace as a "control."
That BT really does hit above it's weight class. Still my everyday, and held its own just fine in this company.
To my taste, Old Grandad could have been someone's Grandad. Lots of character, but none of it particularly appealing to me. Kinda astringent and vegetal. Musty. Prominent alcohol taste. Didn't even finish it.
I may have found a new favorite - need to put the Four Roses SB up against the Knob Creek SB. FR nose and palate was all caramel, dried fruit and hints of vanilla. Nothing off-putting. Soft, smooth, long finish. Just delicious. Couldn't begin to compare it to my recollection of FR's Small Batch - a whole world better.
After all those powerful, distinctive profiles, I could hardly taste the Weller at all. I didn't sense anything bad in it, but didn't detect anything prominent to draw me in or entice me.
So - reinforced previous selection, found a new (potential) favorite, and added another to the short list of things to avoid.
All in all, a very successful test.
Cheers.

Don’t know how I missed this thread, I’m a distiller! I’ll refrain from plugging my own whiskey (though if anyone ever finds themselves in Vermont, hit me up!).

I honestly fall back on Jim Beam quite often for a cheap bottle. Also can’t go wrong with buffalo trace or eagle rare.

Stepping up into the non budget realm...I’ve really developed a taste for Stranahans of late. Really terrific stuff. Blanton’s, Basil Hayden’s and Booker’s are pretty solid too!

Back