Any Ironwood fans?

lunde

Gold Member
When it comes to wood handles on my Randalls, I have an extraordinarily strong preference for Ironwood. And, it seems that Ironwood goes extraordinarily well with Brass furniture.

Here is a #11-4.5" and #5-4", both with Ironwood handles and Brass furniture:

rmk-ironwood-brass.jpg

Here is a Nordic Special with the same:

rmk-nordic-special.jpg

Love desert ironwood, along with african blackwood and macassar ebony. That #11 is sweet.

Pretty hard not to like those. But that's awfully funny-looking stag.

Samael, you wrote:
But that's awfully funny-looking stag.
Ahem. That's Ironwood stag, of course. At least, that's what I tell my dad. ;)

I really love the Nordic Special Bowies, but they're a wee tad bit out of my price range. I've gone the "poor man's" route instead, and have two 14s with BCP grinds on order from the shop, one with an NS2 FCH, stag, and an N/S butt cap, and the other with a brass FCH and crown stag.

Some day when I'm old and gray, maybe I'll even get to hold them in my hands. (Don't listen to me; I'm already old and gray.)

EDIT: BTW, that's stag stag, not ironwood stag. :D

Samael, you wrote:
I really love the Nordic Special Bowies...
I current own three of them. Two are near-identical, one of which is shown above. The other has an honest-to-goodness stag Stag handle.

I have a fourth on order that is due at the end of next month. It will have the following options:

Stainless Steel (standard)
Brass Single Hilt, Squared Top
Thumb Notches
Maroon Micarta (Stag) Handle
Single Finger Grip Handle
Brass Butt Cap, Radiused
Wrist Thong

With dealer specials, it is not always clear which features are standard and which are options. Nordic Knives told me that the above can be done. It is teetering on the five-option threshold, and I told them that if I am over, to forego the Wrist Thong.

Nice. That sounds a lot like six options to me, but as you say, you never really know for sure with the dealer specials. I'd say "be sure to post photos when it arrives," but knowing you, I don't think we need to worry about that.

I know there's been some debate about how ethical this is, but if it were me, I think I'd be tempted to lose the thumb grooves, because you can always send it back to the shop after it arrives and have them added later. Just from my perspective, if the shop is willing to do it, it's not "unethical," but others seem to have a different opinion about this.

Last edited:
Samael, you wrote:
I know there's been some debate about how ethical this is, but if it were me, I think I'd be tempted to lose the thumb grooves, because you can always send it back to the shop after it arrives and have them added later. Just from my perspective, if the shop is willing to do it, it's not "unethical," but others seem to have a different opinion about this.
I am no expert on shop policy, but my guess is that if adding Thumb Notches puts the knife over the five chargeable option limit, they may not do this. Again, just a guess.

It's nice that some options are not chargeable, and thus do not count toward the limit of five. These include the #6 Grind, Squared Top single hilts, and Radiused butt caps. I am sure that there are others.

I have three #4-6" Stainless with #6 Grind knives in the pipeline, and I should have them during the first half of 2010. The first is scheduled to be ready at the end of January.

Um, actually, they will do it, as long as it's after the knife has been made and shipped.

I know you're a big fan of the 4-6s with #6 grinds. Not so much my thing. Otherwise, we seem to have fairly similar tastes.

Samael, you wrote:
Um, actually, they will do it, as long as it's after the knife has been made and shipped.
Cool. That is certainly good to know. And, it means that it is completely ethical to do this, if shop policy allows it.

I have a knife on order with that shop that has seven chargeable options. It was placed before the limit of five was imposed. I considered making a change, and when I asked, was told that the new specs would then be subject to the limit of five. I thus decided to keep it as-is.

Come to think of it, I have a #27 with Stainless blade, Nickel Silver furniture, and Wrist Thong that needs Thumb Notches:

rmk-27-ns-1.jpg

I have an identical #27 with Brass furniture, which came with Thumb Notches:

rmk-27-brass.jpg

ken, i loooooove the ironwood scales on anything, i was able to get a busse sj at blade that has ironwood embedded in the tan micarta, looks awesome, and yes i am a bit of a slacker when it comes to pics, i posted one of it and that is about it, i have a apple laptop so now maybe i will be able to get the iphoto thing going when i get some spare time and throw some icandy up for a looksee...

ronnie, looks like samael likes the stag, he may be going green, saving tha trees or roots in the ironwood case...

Speaking of stag, this will be the handle of my next order:

picture.php

14-CDT-BCP, SS, brass FCH, brass/black spacers. Not the gnarliest piece of crown stag I've seen by a long shot, but it feels like a million bucks in your hand (which is worth a lot)..

Pretty funny, when I talked with GTR on the phone about this order, he got all excited about it. Now, if you know Gary, he doesn't get excited about much. But he was all like "what hilt do you want to put on this?" And when I told him, he was like "oh, good, you're not gonna F it up . . . but would you please put brass/black spacers on it?" Yes, Gary, I can do that. Sheesh.

I love the guy, really I do, but he seems to have this funny idea that he knows more than I do. Can't imagine why. :D

Getting back on subject, specifically about Ironwood, I just heard from Gary Clinton this evening that my Tom Clinton Special, which will have an Ironwood handle, with Ironwood supplied by Gary, is about two weeks out. I ordered it from his late father on 01/14/2008.

Also speaking about Ironwood, I am expecting a package from Sullivan's Holster Shop today. I sent to them my Randall #11-4.5" Ironwood to have a different sheath made. I don't like its keeper strap in how it wraps around the handle. I ordered a no-hone sheath with a diagonal keeper strap. I had to send my knife in to get "Randall" snaps.

Here it is in its original sheath:

rmk-11-45-ironwood-3.jpg

Here is a closer view of its handle and brass furniture:

rmk-11-45-ironwood-2.jpg

I wrote earlier today:
I am expecting a package from Sullivan's Holster Shop today. I sent to them my Randall #11-4.5" Ironwood to have a different sheath made. I don't like its keeper strap in how it wraps around the handle. I ordered a no-hone sheath with a diagonal keeper strap. I had to send my knife in to get "Randall" snaps.
It's here! Wow. This is a much better sheath, in terms of usability for me, than its original sheath. I am also glad to have the knife back, though it was gone for less than two weeks.

Pretty funny, when I talked with GTR on the phone about this order, he got all excited about it. Now, if you know Gary, he doesn't get excited about much. But he was all like "what hilt do you want to put on this?" And when I told him, he was like "oh, good, you're not gonna F it up . . . but would you please put brass/black spacers on it?" Yes, Gary, I can do that. Sheesh.

I love the guy, really I do, but he seems to have this funny idea that he knows more than I do. Can't imagine why. :D

Since you and Gary are on such good terms, perhaps you can let him know that in your opinion he is using inferior steel. I'm sure he would appreciate the constructive criticism you have to offer and any suggestions you may have.

Back