Any Joseph Rodgers & Sons collectors here?...

I am asking because I picked up a buffalo horn handled straight razor during this morning's flea market excursion. I am hoping some of you guys are knowledgeable on it's maker, Joseph Rogers & Sons, and maybe if you could give me a clue on it's vintage, (maybe based on the markings it carrys).
I know I've seen that brand here before, (on knives belonging to members).

It has a spot here and there, and has likely cut a whisker or two, but it is otherwise in pretty nice condition. No cracks to the horn handle, and it's blade is fully intact.

An advance thank you for any info you may be able to share with me concerning this item.

Last edited:
Well, I believe some researching has given me the answers I was seeking.
It seems that the No. 6 Norfolk address stamped onto the blade, was a location the company had to downsize from, after their financial situation had taken a hit. So, they sold off the Norfolk location in 1929.
That would place my razor at no less than 90 years old, if just based on the address.
But, then there's the USA 1890's era law that would have required the foreign cutleries to have stamped their country of origin onto the product in order to export them to the US, Although my razor has the No. 6 Norfolk address, it does not have the country of origin.
Then there is also the markings of "Cutlery To Their Majesties", "Her Majesty", and "His Majesty", (my specimen having the "To Their Majesties" marking).

All a bit confusing...

Oh well, I love being able to research my finds... It sure beats how tough it was looking up info before we had all of this technology :)

In any case, that's been my findings thus far.
If anyone can offer any more info about this particular specimen, or anything pertaining to the subject at hand, I again want to thank you in advance for doing so :)

PS. I can't make out what the first two words are stamped onto the blade, anybody have an idea what it reads? Thanks again!
...... Never mind that last question, I just found out that it says "Real Old English Razor". For the razor now being quite old, I kind'a find that model designation to be quite funny :)

Last edited:
I love Rodgers knives and razors, and have quite a number of them. They are amazingly tight and nicely finished considering the tools available at the time! The steel is quite hard and takes a terrific edge, they are great carry knives:thumbsup:
Here is a picture of some of my collection:

These three gets carried the most:

Finally, this one is not carried but is a great example of the fine finish of these knives! This one was a lucky discovery of a time capsule knife- what you see is the original finish!

The Egginton Group bought the rights to the name and trademarks in 1986. Joseph Rodgers knives are still produced in Sheffield.

The Stamp is different to the original knives so as not to confuse.

I love Rodgers knives and razors, and have quite a number of them. They are amazingly tight and nicely finished considering the tools available at the time! The steel is quite hard and takes a terrific edge, they are great carry knives:thumbsup:
Here is a picture of some of my collection:

These three gets carried the most:

Finally, this one is not carried but is a great example of the fine finish of these knives! This one was a lucky discovery of a time capsule knife- what you see is the original finish!

more pictures of the black handled pieces please

especially the boys knife - what size is that?

more pictures of the black handled pieces please

especially the boys knife - what size is that?
Here you go! Three of these are ebony, the other was celluloid and I re-covered it with black micarta. (I know, I know, it’s not in line with the original now...)
Not sure which one you wanted the closed length of, but the tip bolster knife is 3 3/8, the checkered one is 4, the redone one is 3 1/2, and the long bolstered knife is 3 1/4.

Well, I believe some researching has given me the answers I was seeking.
It seems that the No. 6 Norfolk address stamped onto the blade, was a location the company had to downsize from, after their financial situation had taken a hit. So, they sold off the Norfolk location in 1929.
That would place my razor at no less than 90 years old, if just based on the address.
But, then there's the USA 1890's era law that would have required the foreign cutleries to have stamped their country of origin onto the product in order to export them to the US, Although my razor has the No. 6 Norfolk address, it does not have the country of origin.
Then there is also the markings of "Cutlery To Their Majesties", "Her Majesty", and "His Majesty", (my specimen having the "To Their Majesties" marking).

All a bit confusing...

I don't have any Joseph Rodgers & Sons knives, but I've got a handful of their razors. And what razors they are. If Rodgers wasn't the premier manufacturer of razors, they were in the top two or three.

But as you've already noticed, it's usually difficult to fit their stuff into a narrow date range. The "Cutlers to Their Majesties" mark seems to have been the default tang stamp and refers to the fact that the firm was appointed royal cutler by several different monarchs. So, not really much help with dating.

To all appearances, your razor is consistent with the work Rodgers produced in the second half of 19th century. I'd love to give you something more specific than that, but it would just be guesswork on my part.

Back