Any Joseph Rodgers & Sons collectors here?...

On re-browsing this thread I'd say it refers to George V (1910-36) rather than Geo VI (1937-52) Why? The quality of finish, and I'm not at all sure that the Royal Warrant was taken up by Geo.VI anyway. Rodgers advertised as being 'Under Five Sovereigns' ( Geo IV, William IV, Victoria, Edward VII, Geo V. but not six) In 1936 Britain had 3 Kings, GeoV died in Jan his son Edward VIII succeded the throne but then abdicated in Dec in favour of his younger brother George VI. With World war not far off and post-war years being one of shortages not conducive to high quality knives. Could even be pre WW I ?

On re-browsing this thread I'd say it refers to George V (1910-36) rather than Geo VI (1937-52) Why? The quality of finish, and I'm not at all sure that the Royal Warrant was taken up by Geo.VI anyway. Rodgers advertised as being 'Under Five Sovereigns' ( Geo IV, William IV, Victoria, Edward VII, Geo V. but not six) In 1936 Britain had 3 Kings, GeoV died in Jan his son Edward VIII succeded the throne but then abdicated in Dec in favour of his younger brother George VI. With World war not far off and post-war years being one of shortages not conducive to high quality knives. Could even be pre WW I ?
Thanks, Will!! The quality seems Older JR as well!!

Back