Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Mine has been seeing a fair amout of use lately.
url=https://lv1.smugmug.com/Bushcraft-2016/n-9TWPQB/i-g79ddsw/A]
i-g79ddsw-L.jpg
[/url]

Mostly kitchen duty. It makes a mean sandwich,
url=https://lv1.smugmug.com/Bushcraft-2016/n-9TWPQB/i-Gfh3ZmN/A]
i-Gfh3ZmN-L.jpg
[/url]

It had its way with a pot roast this weekend,

And some healthier fare as well,

I like mine enough that I ordered a #8 and a #9 in Carbone this week. They should be here Friday or Saturday. My #7 is looking forward to the company.

Slowly but surely the lure of the traditions is taking root

The esthetics are unappealing and it has a terrible lock but it cuts well. I received mine with with some other knives otherwise I wouldn't have one. I cannot understand why someone would buy one.

I can't be the only person thinking this???

I like them.

Very light.
Lock is perfect for my uses.
I like the ergonomics.
Best slicer I have.
Easy to sharpen.
Inexpensive.

Reactions: vba
Aesthetics are definitely subjective.

I am drawn to them by their simplicity. Personally I like the way they look. The lock is more than sufficient for my needs. I find it works well.

As I was slicing taters and carrots for the pot roast above. I couldn't help but marvel at how well it cuts.

I also like to see it disasembled. Just 5 simple parts. Handle, blade, pin, lock ring and collar. As I age, I find much more joy in the simple things. I just purchased two more. And will most likely grab a #8 Garden soon.

Are they for everyone? I guess not. But I have been more than pleased with my experience. I guess if everyone loved them. They would be more expensive. So in the long run it is good to have balance.

Sure, lots of folks don't like 'em. I do, though. I keep coming back to my N°10, the second from the left. I have a N°9 on the workbench, but it needs a new handle after I mangled the original one trying a modification. I don't have a problem with the stickiness that others do because our climate is so dry, so the wax and oil and other suggestions are beyond my experience. I can unlock and flip the 10 open one handed, lock and unlock it one handed, and flip it closed again. Same with the 12. Doesn't work as well with smaller blades as they are lighter and tend not to swing as freely.

Yeah, I love Opinel. Not so impressed with Cold Steel's version, called Twistmaster.

Zieg

IMG_20161208_072745.jpg

I finally got to get my hands on an Opinel. It was only for a short time as it was a gift, but I must say that I was thoroughly impressed. The blade appeared to be a heck of a cutter. I got a carbon version and with the thinness of the blade I think slicing wouldn't be much of a chore. I will have to pick myself one up but the question is stainless or carbon, and what size? All of them I suppose. Leaning towards carbon 7-9 for now.

Tons of Opinel love here - I brought sausage, cheese and bagels for lunch today so I stuck my No8 Eff. in my pocket. Every time I carry one I wonder why I don't carry them more often. They're amazingly robust, even these little slim models. I had this one in my pocket one day when I noticed some tree branches rubbing on my roof or getting awfully close to doing so. I didn't really want to go back down the ladder to get something biggerso I pulled this one out. I cut about 10 branches off, some up to about 1.5" in diameter. I used a lot of pressure, and took off a few that were thumb-sized in a single cut, while the bigger ones took 2 or 3. I was really surprised how well the 1mm thick blade did in this hard cutting, especially considering how well it fillets fish too! Very versatile knife, and I find them incredibly beautiful, the bubinga and walnut are my favorites... I wish they would do more exotic woods

Resized_20161208_082118.jpeg

I don't think you are the only person.... Otherwise they would be more expensive. Definitely an individual taste thing.

The esthetics are unappealing and it has a terrible lock but it cuts well. I received mine with with some other knives otherwise I wouldn't have one. I cannot understand why someone would buy one.

All of them is a good choice! They are so cheap, unless you start getting into the fancy handles.

You are right on a couple of counts. The carbon ones come with a horrible orange finish that is not nearly water resistant and looks like heck. But some sandpaper and a little time and you can customize the handle more to your shape and the orange finish is gone. Round things off a bit reshape for a bit of an easy opener.

The lock is no high tech frame lock that you can hang a Brinks armored car from, but it will do fir what the knife is used for. Cut's like the dickens. I don't even use the lock most the time, just use the knife as a friction folder like a Sardinian Resolza or a Japanese Higonokami. Works great for slicing. The lock wasn't even added until 1955, so several generations of people got by with Opinels before the lock. The Opinel is the only knife I've owned with a lock, so being a lifelong slip joint user, I don't think in terms of, or trust locks anyways.

They are insanely lightweight for their size. A number 8 Opinel is as light as a small conventional penknife half it's size.

Did I mention that they cut like the dickens?

opinel.jpg

It's cheap, it looks good (I like the Olive Wood handles), it's simple. It slices like nothing else I own including the made for purpose kitchen knives. It stays sharp forever. I use this knife for food use almost every single day.

When it comes down to it, a knife is something that should excel at cutting. That the Opinel does. Far better in fact than most modern pocket knives. As such it cannot be ignored.

I have zero experience with Opinels but have always found them intriguing. Looks like a great kitchen knife, or at least one to keep in a desk drawer at work for cutting fruit, etc.

One question I have is about the lock: Does it lock the blade both open and shut? I presume the answer is yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

One question I have is about the lock: Does it lock the blade both open and shut? I presume the answer is yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Yes. The lock ring is manually twisted into place, so you have the option of using it to lock open, closed, both, or neither.

I have zero experience with Opinels but have always found them intriguing. Looks like a great kitchen knife, or at least one to keep in a desk drawer at work for cutting fruit, etc.

The ones made after about 2000 or 2001 have a notch that lets you lock it closed if you wish. None of my Opinels going back the 1980's ever opened in my pocket, though I do keep them snugged up for use as a friction folder.

I have a No. 8 in the console of my truck.. I use it any time I am somewhere I need to cut food in public.. Restaurants, parties, picnics etc.. Very people friendly!!! And SHARP too.. John

Someone say Opinel?

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

Some mods I did about five years ago, any mention of Opinel usually draws the modified ones as they lend themselves to it so well.
I do carry a slightly rounded No 8 sometimes, the sliciest knife i own.

I've felt the urge to try the horn handled Opinel they list on the Opinel USA website. Stiff price, but it looks sooooo cool!

It would be a match to my horn handled resolza. :)

I am absolutely loving the pictures and feedback guys. Makes me immeasurably happy with my gift choice. Now I just need to order myself a few to play around with.

It is kind of a bummer that they do not offer the carbon steel in anything but beech wood. However, it doesn't seem there is too much of a drawback in selecting their stainless.

Back