Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Those spiral mods are great.
I bought my first inox a couple of weeks ago, also my first that locks closed. My thumbnail is all better now.

Pàdruig;16723848 said:
I am absolutely loving the pictures and feedback guys. Makes me immeasurably happy with my gift choice. Now I just need to order myself a few to play around with.

It is kind of a bummer that they do not offer the carbon steel in anything but beech wood. However, it doesn't seem there is too much of a drawback in selecting their stainless.

No sir, it seems the stainless actually seems to holds an edge longer than the carbon. I find that I'm not able to get quite as refined an edge on the stainless as I am the carbon, but it's a tradeoff where you really can't go wrong either way. I have a carbone for leatherworking, another that lives with my backpacking gear ~ all the others are inox, and I'm very happy with all of them!

I believe you can swap the blades, if you're so inclined. I've been thinking that a walnut handled carbone No6 for a while, but other purchasing priorities keep edging it out :)

Pàdruig;16723848 said:
I am absolutely loving the pictures and feedback guys. Makes me immeasurably happy with my gift choice. Now I just need to order myself a few to play around with.

It is kind of a bummer that they do not offer the carbon steel in anything but beech wood. However, it doesn't seem there is too much of a drawback in selecting their stainless.

Their stainless is actually better I think. Opinel carbon steel is a bit on the soft side. Their 12c27 is fine grained and takes a fine edge and it's pretty tough. Responds well to a steel. It's a lot like a good 1095. It's what makes the knife IMO.

Someone say Opinel?

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

WOW! Very cool mods I'mSoSharp!

Their stainless is actually better I think. Opinel carbon steel is a bit on the soft side. Their 12c27 is fine grained and takes a fine edge and it's pretty tough. Responds well to a steel. It's a lot like a good 1095. It's what makes the knife IMO.

THIS^^^^^

I used to just use the carbon steel Opinels as my "beater" knives. Cheap, and easy to replace. Then someone gave me a stainless one and I thought "oh hell." But I was wrong. I started to use the ever login' dog poo out of that stainless Opy and it was actually better than the carbon.

I haven't used anything but the stainless Opinels for almost 20 years now. Opinel is doing a great heat treat on the 12C27, and it performs right up there with steels much higher end.

Amazing stuff! Thanks for the pics.

Someone say Opinel?

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

Some mods I did about five years ago, any mention of Opinel usually draws the modified ones as they lend themselves to it so well.
I do carry a slightly rounded No 8 sometimes, the sliciest knife i own.

That is really good to know. I will not let their stainless deter me then, though I think I will miss the patina... I am quite fond of patina on blades...

Wow, nice mods I'mSoSharp.
I especially like the carved lanyard hole.:cool:

DSC01434.jpg

Here's a couple I did awhile ago.
Top is a Garden knife and the bottom is a Coghlan's #7.
I really like the Coghlan's handles with the Yatagan blade, too bad they aren't selling them anymore.:(
(I modded the 7 into a drop point)

DSCN2164.jpg

The esthetics are unappealing and it has a terrible lock but it cuts well. I received mine with with some other knives otherwise I wouldn't have one. I cannot understand why someone would buy one.

I can't be the only person thinking this???

They are a heck of a knife for $8. Am I glad they are not the only knife out there? Yes.
But, I would rather buy an Opinel than some others. ymmv

Last edited:
They are a fine knife. I hope he enjoys it and appreciates the sentiment behind the gift.

Start with a carbon N°8 and play with it. The beech handles are plenty tough. Then try another one in another configuration. Bienvenue aux couteax Savoyards!

Zieg

Here's a couple I did awhile ago.
Top is a Garden knife and the bottom is a Coghlan's #7.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I like those Mykel m, they look like jigged bone.
I also ground the blade on the one I carry, prefer it to drop a little like you.

Playing with fire,

Twine and birch bark added in for incendiary efficiency. It was sub-zero and windy. Note the flames washing over my knife. They were well above it, but we got out of there quickly,

On goes some bigger stuff,

Last edited:
I will counter the "stainless over carbon" argument. My inox Opinels are softer and don't hold their edges as long as my carbons. Just my experience. "Your mileage" and all that. And the carbon strops more easily. And the patina.

Zieg

Last edited:
Reactions: vba
I will counter the "stainless over carbon" argument. My inox Opinels are softer and don't hold their edges as long as my carbons. Just my experience. "Your milage" and all that. And the carbon strops more easily. And the patina.

Zieg
Hmmm. How old are your stainless Opi's? Wasn't it a different stainless pre- 2003?

Back