Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Keeping this thread alive bu going to my Opinel box again. Couple of saw pictures today. Saws don't come to the bay too often.

Saw with a No. 12
kvWZmdF.jpg

Saw with a No. 15 Effile
LMYnmJs.jpg

Here I am back again to keep this thread going. This time it is a picture of my No.8 Effile doing what it does best, opening an envelope.

YqlNC6q.png

Man, I need to get some more Opinels. I've only got one #7, but I just love it. It's never out and about with me, but it gets frequent use during food prep.

This friction folder only nr 9 carbone has been traveling in my pocket for the last weeks. I have used it a lot both cutting foodstuffs, making fires and cutting whatever I need. The blade is getting quite patinated to the point there are spots that need to be cleaned before they start pitting. Weather has been very hot and humid.

Food is especially hard on the carbon steel, fruit, onions and some vegetables. I might get an inox version for those. Would a nr 9 or 10 effile be sufficient or is the normal version a better food knife?

z7C4qHs.jpg

HFinn, depending on which Effile you are thinking about. The 8 has a short blade (3 1/8 inch) and stiff. The No. 10 blade is longer (4 inches) and a little more flexible. The No. 15 blade is the longest I have at 5 3/4 inches and about the same as the 10 for flex. These are the only sizes I have in Effiles.

HFinn, depending on which Effile you are thinking about. The 8 has a short blade (3 1/8 inch) and stiff. The No. 10 blade is longer (4 inches) and a little more flexible. The No. 15 blade is the longest I have at 5 3/4 inches and about the same as the 10 for flex. These are the only sizes I have in Effiles.

The nr 10 effile is what I had in mind. I can't fish or cook fish because of a allergy in family, so I have no need for a really flexible fileting knife. The 8 or 10 might have the needed balance between stiffness and flexibility.

I have no ebony Opinels, I do have a few olive and like them. A sheath with both a regular and an effile would be great. You would have to share a picture if this happens.

I ordered a olive wood effile nr 10. Just felt more "right". I will also get a olive nr 8. I have some old light brown natural leather for a sheath. This is exiting!

Back