Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

I love Opinels, but with a twist. I consider an Opinel to be like a perfect blank canvas, waiting to be modified. Not that I have the skills to mod, but there are plenty who do, and I seek them out. This one I discovered by a knifemaker in Tiblisi, Georgia. He is also doing a mod on a #10. It will have a recurve with Giraffe bone covers.
00B812A4-B1C4-4A24-B022-8A16B1023734.jpeg

I love Opinels, but with a twist. I consider an Opinel to be like a perfect blank canvas, waiting to be modified. Not that I have the skills to mod, but there are plenty who do, and I seek them out. This one I discovered by a knifemaker in Tiblisi, Georgia. He is also doing a mod on a #10. It will have a recurve with Giraffe bone covers.
View attachment 950273

What did you use to do the jigging on the handle? On the lock ring?

I need advice. What is the best way to stop blade sticking? I found my first Opinel, a modified nr 10 and it sticks badly.

I have tried bathing in oil with no results. I dont want to take the knife apart. The nr 9 I have responded well to oil but not this one.

I have seen posts on melting Vaseline into the area of the pivot pin with a hairdryer.

I have shown my Olivewood and Bubinga knives so today lets go regular Carbone and Beech.

DPpTA4x.png

My nr 10. I did the vaseline trick and it works!

zEEmcEV.jpg

Questions, questions, questions. How old is that knife? Old enough to have come without a lock ring? Is the bolster stainless or carbon?

All my Opinels are sticking right now in all this humidity. They will loosen up when the air dries out this winter, some more than others. I wonder if the dessiccating effect of the hair dryer doesn’t have as much to do as the lubricant with loosening yours.

Questions, questions, questions. How old is that knife? Old enough to have come without a lock ring? Is the bolster stainless or carbon?

All my Opinels are sticking right now in all this humidity. They will loosen up when the air dries out this winter, some more than others. I wonder if the dessiccating effect of the hair dryer doesn’t have as much to do as the lubricant with loosening yours.
If I remember right it is about 15 years old. It came with a locking ring which I removed and has lost. Just as well because I like it more this way. The bolster is stainless.

Hi guys. New to the forum.

Just put an order in on a Opinel No 10 with horn handle. Hopefully I get one of the blonde horn versions and not the black ones I've seen recently.
Will post pics when I get it and thanks for sharing pics of your knives.

Cheers

JR

I have been thinking to get a normal nr 10, modify it lightly and use as a moderately hard use bushcraft/trekking folder. This one would remain a locking knife. Just shave a bit from the sides, round the butt (I like round butts and I cannot lie :D ), make a small easy open notch and then soak in hot linseed oil.

I have been thinking to get a normal nr 10, modify it lightly and use as a moderately hard use bushcraft/trekking folder. This one would remain a locking knife. Just shave a bit from the sides, round the butt (I like round butts and I cannot lie :D ), make a small easy open notch and then soak in hot linseed oil.

Sounds like a good plan.

I quess I got it bad when I don't remember what I allready have. This might serve in purpose I stated above. It has the good old style locking ring.
EohbSyy.jpg

Pics when you get it done please.

The nr 12 is a bit too large, so I bought a new nr 10 that still has the good old locking ring. Will propably start working on it next weekend.

Back