Any Wet Shavers, here?

Thanks for the offer🙂. I saw your reference to the lupo earlier in the thread and the.95 piqued my interest. I’m in Australia though and can probably get one from the same place here that I bought the G/T if needed.
All good brother. Offer stands. They are outstanding. I'd like to see a dual .95, OC and SB.

Straight razor shaving only for the past 12 years, except DE when traveling, but strangely, I have razorburn problems with a DE - probably just lack of familiarity using it.

I like early 1900s razors better than anything currently made - mid century japanese razors in western patterns are also nice. With a straight razor and good true linen and leather (shell, but not horween shell), there is almost no difference between shave 1 and shave 200. Leather every shave, linen every half dozen. This is sort of a lost art vs. what you find on the shaving forums where people want to hone the edge off of a razor constantly.

Linen and leather makes a fantastic edge that will cut hair as easily as a 2-use feather DE blade, but it won't catch the skin on the back of the pore. The linen and leather burnish off the apex just a little and prevent the edge from taking dents that DE blades get leading to their quick failure - well, along with the fact that the older straight razors are much harder than the stainless wafer in a DE blade.
I agree with you 100% on the old 1900's antique straight razors being overall better feel and quality over many of the new ones I've tried and own. I got one hell of a lucky strike off of eBay for my first antique straight razor and got a F. Keller & Co Sta-Sharp blade from Ohligs, Germany. It came with an ancient pair of cellulose that were white probably when they were new. Its some amazingly nice steel and holds an edge extremely well. I only have two straight razors at the moment but have used others as well.

My antique razor is a grade of magnitude better than the Damascus steel razor that I got. It is alright but I'm not as impressed with it, my PawPaw was the one who taught me to wet shave and he liked using the shavette style with replaceable blades. I don't like them personally, but was cool to learn with.

I personally use my old blade A LOT more often than the new one. Unfortunately the original cellulose scales ended up snapping on mine so I handmade and pinned my own scales for both razors one with some English I think it's purple heart wood. I made a set for my old razor with ebony wood as well. I love it and it truly is an art form that some people love or hate because of the process, over the speed of saftey razors. I take a while when wet shaving but I get a much much closer shave with my straight razor, as opposed to a safety razor.

I gotta say if anyone still uses the artful way try some viking revolution shave soap pucks they got a 4 pack that lasts a good while for pretty cheap on Amazon I have been using that and so far the bay spiced rum scent is badass and not overbearing. The others included foam well and feel nice.

I had my PawPaw's strop that he's had for what looks like a century at first I retired it and it hangs in my closet, and have since been using a G.B.S. ultra wide 3" x 24" or 26" strop that has the linen and leather sides. It eliminates having to make the whole x motion when stropping on skinny strops. I also use polishing compound on my linen side to buff the edge to a mirror finish, then use the non compound side of the linen to remove and keep the compound from embedding into the leather side. Then move to the smooth leather to finish it off.

It's good for six months to a year before it starts to feel like it's pulling more than shaving. I also strop mine anywhere from 30 to 50 laps just before shaving, then again after I finish shaving on the smooth side only. That way I know I prep the razor just before the shave, and then after the shave ensuring it's completely dry before putting it on its stand. I try to not hone the crap out of the blades, especially when if you're able to strop them correctly, you're just needlessly removing metal.

I think the antique straight razors if they're taken care of are made of much better quality steel, because that was the age of "handmade" steel, or something that isn't a "mass production" kind of steel. I don't know if that description makes sense to y'all but that's probably the best way I can describe it.

I love the feel of wet shaving a lot. Plus it reminds me of all the good times when my PawPaw was still around. What shave soaps do y'all prefer? Or better yet what kinds of aftershave do y'all enjoy? lol

On the regular I use the Viking revolution shave soap pucks and I use addidas aftershave. For special occasions I use a bottle of aftershave that PawPaw gave me from some 1960's Avon collection that the bottle is shaped like an indy car, it smells awesome but I don't use it often because I can't replace it. The wife loves it though.

I'd like to find some better choices in aftershave so if y'all use something different (which I'm sure most of y'all have a preferred brand) I'd appreciate y'all sharing what y'all like with me so I can expand my choices.

Hopefully I added to the conversation something helpful and moderately intelligent lol saying stupid stuff is kind of my thing haha

I agree with you 100% on the old 1900's antique straight razors being overall better feel and quality over many of the new ones I've tried and own. I got one hell of a lucky strike off of eBay for my first antique straight razor and got a F. Keller & Co Sta-Sharp blade from Ohligs, Germany. It came with an ancient pair of cellulose that were white probably when they were new. Its some amazingly nice steel and holds an edge extremely well. I only have two straight razors at the moment but have used others as well.

My antique razor is a grade of magnitude better than the Damascus steel razor that I got. It is alright but I'm not as impressed with it, my PawPaw was the one who taught me to wet shave and he liked using the shavette style with replaceable blades. I don't like them personally, but was cool to learn with.

I personally use my old blade A LOT more often than the new one. Unfortunately the original cellulose scales ended up snapping on mine so I handmade and pinned my own scales for both razors one with some English I think it's purple heart wood. I made a set for my old razor with ebony wood as well. I love it and it truly is an art form that some people love or hate because of the process, over the speed of saftey razors. I take a while when wet shaving but I get a much much closer shave with my straight razor, as opposed to a safety razor.

I gotta say if anyone still uses the artful way try some viking revolution shave soap pucks they got a 4 pack that lasts a good while for pretty cheap on Amazon I have been using that and so far the bay spiced rum scent is badass and not overbearing. The others included foam well and feel nice.

I had my PawPaw's strop that he's had for what looks like a century at first I retired it and it hangs in my closet, and have since been using a G.B.S. ultra wide 3" x 24" or 26" strop that has the linen and leather sides. It eliminates having to make the whole x motion when stropping on skinny strops. I also use polishing compound on my linen side to buff the edge to a mirror finish, then use the non compound side of the linen to remove and keep the compound from embedding into the leather side. Then move to the smooth leather to finish it off.

It's good for six months to a year before it starts to feel like it's pulling more than shaving. I also strop mine anywhere from 30 to 50 laps just before shaving, then again after I finish shaving on the smooth side only. That way I know I prep the razor just before the shave, and then after the shave ensuring it's completely dry before putting it on its stand. I try to not hone the crap out of the blades, especially when if you're able to strop them correctly, you're just needlessly removing metal.

I think the antique straight razors if they're taken care of are made of much better quality steel, because that was the age of "handmade" steel, or something that isn't a "mass production" kind of steel. I don't know if that description makes sense to y'all but that's probably the best way I can describe it.

I love the feel of wet shaving a lot. Plus it reminds me of all the good times when my PawPaw was still around. What shave soaps do y'all prefer? Or better yet what kinds of aftershave do y'all enjoy? lol

On the regular I use the Viking revolution shave soap pucks and I use addidas aftershave. For special occasions I use a bottle of aftershave that PawPaw gave me from some 1960's Avon collection that the bottle is shaped like an indy car, it smells awesome but I don't use it often because I can't replace it. The wife loves it though.

I'd like to find some better choices in aftershave so if y'all use something different (which I'm sure most of y'all have a preferred brand) I'd appreciate y'all sharing what y'all like with me so I can expand my choices.

Hopefully I added to the conversation something helpful and moderately intelligent lol saying stupid stuff is kind of my thing haha
Wet shaving is the way to go. I'm a bit too shaky for straights, so I'm a DE man, and have been for more than 50 years. Nothing beats setting up one's whiskers with a brush and some good lather, then taking them all down with a confident swipe of the steel.

Plus, there's all that great smelling stuff that goes along with wet shaving. Right now, my favorite soaps come from Stirling. "Orange Chill" or "Coconut Lime" cut right through the muggy humidity and brighten a guy's morning. Pretty soon, it will be time for "Spicy Apple Cider" lather. Stirling has plenty to choose from, and their sample pucks are an outstanding deal.

I don't use aftershaves; instead, I finish up with an alum bar, which I then rinse off and follow up with CeraVe moisturizer. After that, it's a dash of frag. For the summer. I'm partial to D&G "Light Blue", Ted Lapidus' signature scent, Lacoste White and Scuderia Ferrari Red. They're all economical choices, but I have been known to buy a bottle of Creed now and then.

I use a Gillette Mach3 that I've had forever. I wouldn't mind switching to a safety razor, but I only shave my head. Any recommendations for this?

Blackbirds (SB and OC)
SrjTKhNh.jpg

epvrQS6h.jpg

ekhhChzh.jpg
Awesome looking razors.
I use a traditional straight and have no concerns with nicks or cuts but this style of razor always makes me cringe and think how bad the cut will be.
Guess there is a learning curve with both

I've been shaving with the Henson +++ "Aggressive" for the last several days. I started out with a Nacet blade and I got a very good shave, but I got some irritation on my neck, as well. This is something that never happens with my + or ++ Henson's. So, I changed to a Voshkod blade and that solved the irritation problem completely. This is a very efficient razor, for me. I do two passes and very little touch up, and I get a near BBS shave each time.

I have three new brushes coming. First, I have an AP Shave Co G5A that is on the truck to be delivered. Second, I have a Shavemac Silvertip Fiber being made. Third, I have a Rudy Vey Silvertip Fiber being made. Rudy has been great to work with. Somehow I fell down a shaving brush rabbit hole.

Ha! Yeah I know they ain't exactly givin em away AV but wow smooth as silk and close.
With 5 blades I bet.

Just wait until they come out with Gillette Fusion 10 :)

Tell the truth Gillette Fusion Five come in a pack of 4 cartridges. Been paying $16. One luxury I afford myself along with a nice knife once in a while.

Tell the truth Gillette Fusion Five come in a pack of 4 cartridges. Been paying $16. One luxury I afford myself along with a nice knife once in a while.

That is great. I personally like my RazorRock Game changer with a ten cent Nacet blade that gives a baby butt smooth shave

Gillette hasn't, but Omnishaver did:

that's crazy.
With 10 blades with 3 passes that is equal to 30 passes of a safety razor.
I will stick with the 2-3 passes of a safety razor to get a great shave.

Back