Any Wet Shavers, here?

I have progressed to the point where I am now shaving every day (with the occasional Saturday off) with my RazorRock Lupo .95 Open Comb. I have found that by riding the guard (comb) I can get a silky smooth shave with no irritation - even with "winter" skin. I am getting pretty absurd longevity out of blades with this amazing razor too. Persona Platinum's lately, but great luck with Feather, Astras - just about anything I load. Just a fantastic razor.
Do you use an open or closed comb and what’s the difference? Am thinking of trying one

I've tried others, including a straight for a little while, but have been using this combo for the last several years. I just finished another bottle and tub of the same Trumper's Limes and started with these. I picked up a new travel tube of cream at the Trumper's store in London back in February. I'm about half way through a (20x10) box of Feather blades. The razor is a Rockwell S6 adjustable with the flip head to adjust it. For travel or if I need to rush the process, I will sometimes use a Gillette Fusion 5, thinning the same cream with a bit more water.
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 12.08.18 PM.png

Just got the new TAD/Yates safety razor collab delivered, except the Post guy didn’t deliver it to my front door! Stupid bastard.. trying to get it sorted out and I’ll share once (if) I get it.

I got sick and tired of ingrown hairs. I got another one on my face a couple of months ago and it was the last straw. After a more than forty year hiatus I went back to a safety razor. When I started shaving I used a Gillette Fatboy and later a Gillette Slim. Both were adjustable. When I started back I ended up buying an Edwin Jagger DE89. With Feather blades it simply glided across my face. I loved it so much I heard the siren call to get a stainless razor. I bought a Razorock Game Changer. I can't decide which I like best, but now I actually look forward to shaving. Its been so much fun I bought my wife a Henson.

Anyone else use a double edged safety razor?

I rolled through the common DE razors from Edwin Jagger, owning several of the '89 series. Then I upgraded to the Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca. For the cost, those are stupendously good DE razors IMHO.

These days, I'm into Single Edge options. The classic old-school injectors from Schick are treating me really well though, right now I am into the AC razors and have been trying out a couple of options.

Just got the new TAD/Yates safety razor collab delivered, except the Post guy didn’t deliver it to my front door! Stupid bastard.. trying to get it sorted out and I’ll share once (if) I get it.

Stolen by Porch Pirates or just misdelivered? I am at 100% loss rate at my primary house mailbox. To the point my box is flagged by the USPS as a don't deliver!

I also had it blown up so, between ATF and Postal Inspectors, my address is well known for problems. I'm sure it is related to the Marijuana smoke I smell wafting my direction from a 1/2 mile away (I live in a rural area 1/4 mile from the public road).

Stolen by Porch Pirates or just misdelivered? I am at 100% loss rate at my primary house mailbox. To the point my box is flagged by the USPS as a don't deliver!

I also had it blown up so, between ATF and Postal Inspectors, my address is well known for problems. I'm sure it is related to the Marijuana smoke I smell wafting my direction from a 1/2 mile away (I live in a rural area 1/4 mile from the public road).
Misdelivered. Thankfully they found it and delivered it to me after calling.

It’s one of the best razors I’ve ever shaved with. Beats my Edwin Jagger

I recently added a new DE to the den, this time a really inexpensive one. It is a Razorock German 37, which is a Merkur 37c Slant copy. I bought it a couple weeks ago during a flash sale, and got it under $20 including a SS Super Knurl handle.

My previous (and current) DE's have been considerably higher end comparatively, including a Timeless 95OC in polished SS, Blackland Blackbirds in both SB and OC, both also polished SS, and my current group of a Henson +++ (older V1 varient), and Razorock Lupo SS in both DC (72OC + 95SB) and 95OC.

First thing I did is swap the titanium Halo handle off my Lupo 95OC with the heavy Super Knurl I ordered with the G37, and I like the balance. I've been shaving almost exclusively with the G37 since it arrived, and I am really impressed with how forgiving it is on my face. I have even shaved morning then again evening on the same day, and zero cuts, irritation or weepers. I didn't know what to expect out of a slant, but so far I love it. May very well try out a Razorock Super Slant, as they are purported to be very well received.

jHfbkAyh.jpg

ogVL5Nfh.jpg

IzJ6Y2uh.jpg

I am seriously considering switching to a double edge safety razor. I currently use a modern gillette multi blade razor. I'd consider a straight razor, but it requires too much skill in shaving and keeping the blade sharp. Also some one as clumsy as myself would probably end up cutting myself bad with a straight razor.

I am seriously considering switching to a double edge safety razor. I currently use a modern gillette multi blade razor. I'd consider a straight razor, but it requires too much skill in shaving and keeping the blade sharp. Also some one as clumsy as myself would probably end up cutting myself bad with a straight razor.
Do it, it saves money and becomes as much a "hobby" as a "chore".

it is already sort of a hobby for me. I use a good shaving cream, not that canned foam stuff, and I do multiple passed with the grain, across the grain, against the grain. I am able to get a smooth good shave, but with irritation, especially when I shave multiple days in row.

If you are getting irritation after multiple days of shaving with that many passes, you might try with only two passes, with the grain and against the grain. When I first started, I used to do across the grain passes also. For me, I eventually learned the extra passes brought a small enough percentage in improvement that it wasn't worth any irritation it might cause over multiple days. My normal process is also simplified now to be a bit faster when needed/desired. Skipping the brush and bowl, I get a little soap on my fingers and lather it on my face directly. After the first pass, there is still enough left on my fingers to lather for the second pass. Also, while most of my days are DE wet shaving, every once in a while, I'll do the same wet shave process, but use a Fusion 5 cartridge just to give the skin a little variation.

If you are getting irritation after multiple days of shaving with that many passes, you might try with only two passes, with the grain and against the grain. When I first started, I used to do across the grain passes also. For me, I eventually learned the extra passes brought a small enough percentage in improvement that it wasn't worth any irritation it might cause over multiple days. My normal process is also simplified now to be a bit faster when needed/desired. Skipping the brush and bowl, I get a little soap on my fingers and lather it on my face directly. After the first pass, there is still enough left on my fingers to lather for the second pass. Also, while most of my days are DE wet shaving, every once in a while, I'll do the same wet shave process, but use a Fusion 5 cartridge just to give the skin a little variation.
I sometimes will use a 5 blade cartridge for the final cleanup towards the end of the week if I've shaved every day. I agree with trying to limit the number of passes, which is why I prefer efficient (ie aggressive) razors.

I sometimes will use a 5 blade cartridge for the final cleanup towards the end of the week if I've shaved every day. efficient (ie aggressive) razors.
There is a balance to efficiency, aggressive enough to do the job with your skin and whiskers but mild enough to not irritate the skin too much. My 'above the tie' razor has a flip head plate so I could play with different levels of aggressiveness to see which worked best for me. Once you find the level that works, it may work for a while. Over time, things can change and a retest may be helpful to verify which is best all over again. :)

There is a balance to efficiency, aggressive enough to do the job with your skin and whiskers but mild enough to not irritate the skin too much. My 'above the tie' razor has a flip head plate so I could play with different levels of aggressiveness to see which worked best for me. Once you find the level that works, it may work for a while. Over time, things can change and a retest may be helpful to verify which is best all over again. :)
100% I am anxiously awaiting the adjustable Blackland Osprey to umm, land. ;)

I'm curious as to the skinny on this. I currently buy cheap plastic double bladed disposables with german made blades in them. I've tried the single bladed bics (which I imagine to be much like the steel versions with replaceable blades) and I just couldn't get the hang of the angle it seems... caused a lot of irritation, then again perhaps the bic's are just shit.

Can anyone suggest a solid beginner set for someone who just wants to dip their toe in?

Razors can be like knives. Some are very expensive, others much less so, but they can still be functional. At a minimum, you would need the razor, some blades, some soap/cream, and possibly a post shave balm/cream. Just like with knives, all of these fit different individuals differently. I started with an inexpensive Edwin Jagger DE Safety Razor with a closed comb. Some have an open comb on the edges, which looks like a comb for your hair with teeth. You probably don't need that to start. A closed comb/edge will be a little milder. Also, you may not want a slant to start either. Blades have lots of variations and fit different beards and skin differently. I tried sample packs for a bunch of different ones. Once you know which you prefer, you can save a little by buying them in the 100-count package size. When I last bought a 100 pack of Ladas, they were $15. My last purchase of 100 Feather blades, which I'm still working my way through, was $25. But, start with some small sample packs to see which you like. As for cream/soaps, you could save a little by using a soft shaving cream. Smells and textures are personal preference issues. A soft cream can be spread by hand. A hard soap would likely require a brush and bowl. When I first started, I just used a little 5 inch plastic bowl like this:
5782193641_1dc45313f9_k.jpg

Now, I use a tub of Trumper's shaving cream and spread it by hand and add a little of their 'skin food' for an after shave balm. Further, do a little research on shave patterns. Some were mentioned above such as 'with the grain', 'against the grain', 'across the grain'. And, remember that the 'grain' refers to the direction of beard growth on your particular face, which will different from other folks. And, different parts of the face may have different grain. The grain may be up/down or at an angle for you. You'll need to figure that out as you go. There can be a lot of lurking and learning with it to see how much variety is possible.

Enjoy your journey.

^^ Excellent information. Another piece of the "puzzle" is pressure of the razor/blade to face - safety razors are much more sensitive to that aspect than cartridges in my experience.

I'm curious as to the skinny on this. I currently buy cheap plastic double bladed disposables with german made blades in them. I've tried the single bladed bics (which I imagine to be much like the steel versions with replaceable blades) and I just couldn't get the hang of the angle it seems... caused a lot of irritation, then again perhaps the bic's are just shit.

Can anyone suggest a solid beginner set for someone who just wants to dip their toe in?

Cheap plastic options don't really have much in common with a decent DE razor. A bit like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota Corolla!

Razor head shape makes a lot of difference with some being angle sensitive and others not so much so. Blade exposure and gap matter as well.

A good place to start is with a ~$25 Edwin Jagger or Muhle "DE89" version (same razor head design with different handles). Then get a DE blade sample pack to find the ones that work best for YOUR FACE, WHISKERS, ETC.

^^ Excellent information. Another piece of the "puzzle" is pressure of the razor/blade to face - safety razors are much more sensitive to that aspect than cartridges in my experience.
The cheaper ZAMAK-headed razors 'generally' need more work to fine-tune the hand pressure to get a good shave. My stainless razors let the extra weight do the work.

Pearl Razors from India are all stainless and are recommended by many for a modest price but, I don't own one.

The Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca are stupendously good for me at ~$80 delivered out of Europe. Weepers (superficial weeping bleeds or red spots) and Irritation are rare. Super good 2-pass (WTG and XTG) shaves for DFS to BBS!

Right now, I am using a Yaqi Romulus (all stainless) with the single-edge AC razor blades and use it almost exclusively right now.

Back