Any Wet Shavers, here?

Regarding soaps, brushes, bowls, etc. ... They are NOT required for wet shaving. Don't let this deter you from trying a DE or SE razor.

Most of the time, I use "canned GOO" because it is fast, simple, cheap, and effective. Surprisingly, I find the Walmart Equate brand of canned gel works well for me, being thicker and slicker than the more premium Neutrogena and similar brands of shave gel.

That being said, the scents and feel of a nice 'animal fat' hard soap with a brush or face lather is a nice "luxury"! Those $3~$5 100g/3oz hard soaps out of Europe are pretty darn nice too! In particular, I like the Italian and German 100g hard soaps. Some people with super sensitive skin might need to experiment a little to find one that works well for them but, I am fortunate that I rarely have any allergic reactions to quality soaps from the EU.

My first DE razor was Merkur and it made me give up wet shaving for a few years after about 2 months of sub-par shaves and lots of bleeding. Part of it was probably the DE blades I had access to at the time so, probably not 100% of a razor problem.

Years later I tried the Edwin Jagger DE89 for ~$20 and got great shaves for less than the price of a package of multi-blade razor heads for the razor I had at the time.

Merkur is not one "I" would recommend to a beginner but, it certainly works well for many people, just not for myself.

My main razor for the last decade+ has been an older brass Gillette 'The New' long tooth open comb razor. I use straight razors (Genco XXX and a Boker) when I'm not in a hurry. Switching away from disposables has been more fun, and a lot cheaper in the long run.

After reading this thread I picked up a shaver and 50 thin feather blades - wow sharp!!! Some top-rated squeeze cream and I'm in business for the price of an 8-pack of multiblades. I figure each blade is good for 8 shaves if I clean it off after use. I keep nicking myself in the same place though, need to figure that out. Otherwise very pleased

Feathers are known to cause a lot of people issues with nicks.

Get a blade sampler pack! Personally, I'm into Personna blades for my DE razors generally today but Nacet works well too.

I tried some different razors a few years ago and eventually wound up using single edge razors exclusively. My small collection is in a box since our last move but the only one I really need is my daily driver - a Gem Micromatic "Clog-Pruf".

20231108-145956.jpg

20231108-150041.jpg

This is (to my knowledge) the second of Gem's Micromatic designs after the open-comb version. I have one of those, too, and it works well, but this gets just as close with more comfort. They really got it right with this one. The following design, the "bullet tip", is a gorgeous-looking razor, very mild, not close enough for my taste. My other favorite to use is an Ever Ready 1914, but the hooks and springs don't hold the blade as securely as the Gems. I use Personna SE blades. I do use a brush and shave soap - which also doesn't need to be a big investment! - but I agree with the above post, modern shaving cream works fine. Better shave for less money than new school disposables of any kind. I'll try and unearth my collection and maybe I can take some more pics.

Always have, one of my elder brothers used an electric razor that made so much noise it put me off them, plus he never looked properly shaved..then he went into beards and stayed there. As a very small boy was fascinated by watching my dad shave, he had a thick dark stubble more than I developed and he always used a DE razor and Palmolive brushless, I don't ever recall seeing him unkempt or bloodied from shaving either.

Then for some decades it was cartridges or throw aways, but so wasteful and became costly and around 25 years ago I went back to DE but this was really only thanks to the Net as blade procurement was getting tricky in the shops. However, wet shaving can become a kind of 'vocation' for some and shaving forums rather than exchange of tips can become Bore HQs with besser wisser behaviour, tirades about methods, show offery or else some weird manner of chat room with regular bores drivelling on about their daily banality...mind you, knife forums can get like that too :Do_O

It is alluring all the brush types and the many blades, creams or soaps. I tried a lot as there are invigorating scents but many just over priced con and wet shaving IS entirely personal & individual. The blades that work for me Feather, Astra Plat, Mühle. Never really decided on soap or cream, both good. The English creams like TOBS, Mitchell's, Trumper's (Lime was fantastic) were all good as were the Italians like Proraso- very rich effective and Cella soap, wonderful almond smell. I very much liked American glycerine soap such as the inexpensive Colonel Conk (Bay Rum, Amber) but lately they've changed it totally, it's not glycerine but some insipid bar soap type muck that gives a weak lather. Another big and very inexpensive favourite is the French soap Mon Savon bol à raser, smells like Coca-Cola but is very effective. I used to buy my stuff from England, but since BREXIT it's become too costly with 25% import tax to the EU. Plus shipping of anything is getting very costly too, Britain seems to have some weird restrictions on selling razor blades online at least on the Bay, they're some kind of weapon?:rolleyes:

Best shave you can achieve is if you live in the land of sauna like me or have access to one, it really opens the pores and gives a devilish shave. What I do now is just to put a hot flannel/face-cloth on the face then I just use Palmolive brush shaving cream and the result is excellent and quite quick.I have no preference between Boar or Badger, both good and the synthetic brush I've had for 15 years is superb, zero shed too.

What I'd like is advice for a new razor- the Merkurs have proved not durable, plate coming off, rough corners, the Jagger too mild for me, cuts little, one Mühle I have is OK another one hyper aggressive blood letter. Hensons people talk well of, but shipping and import tax make it look expensive from Canada to EU, unless they have European dealers?

Thanks, Will

I switched back to wet shaving about 15 years ago, and have been alternating back & forth between a Merkur 23C (long handle), and the 34C (heavy duty.) The long handle works better for me, and I haven't had any problems with the Merkurs. I ordered a new Henson, and USPS says is out for delivery today. We'll see if it turns out to be the new favorite.

As for blades, I've tried a few brands, and have pretty much settled on the Feathers. I have some Wilkinsons that are pretty good too.

Shave creams or soap: The Creamo stuff in the tube works pretty good, but I prefer using the brush, and working up a lather, so I use something like Proraso or Colonel Conk cream.

After shave? I only use the cheap-ass Pinauld Clubman Bay Rum, that you used to see in all the barber shops. You put that stuff on after a close shave & you'll think you set your face on fire. It cools down quickly though, and the smell isn't overpowering & fades quickly. Which I like.

While some in the new hipster trend look upon personal grooming as some sort of spiritual experience, I just want the most effective way to scrape hair off my face.

I've tried the Conk and have it in the medicine cabinet. Wasn't for me. Not knocking the stuff. It's just the long process of using it.

Tried and have the shave butter. The butter stuff is like shaving with hand lotion. Leaves a nice smell. It works ok.

But the regular foam works best for me. I shave in the shower and I keep a can in there.

As for aftershave. I don't usually use it. I have some face and beard conditioner cream I use occasionally.

What I'd like is advice for a new razor- the Merkurs have proved not durable, plate coming off, rough corners, the Jagger too mild for me, cuts little, one Mühle I have is OK another one hyper aggressive blood letter. Hensons people talk well of, but shipping and import tax make it look expensive from Canada to EU, unless they have European dealers?
Everyone's skin is different and different levels of aggressiveness are needed, sometimes even by the same person at different times. This is one of the reasons I like a razor with some adjustability. However, as with your experience, I'm not sure about the durability of a normal adjustable razor and never bought one. Instead of the twist handle adjustment, long ago, I found a simple razor that lets me adjust it by flipping over the plate below the head or swapping to another plate. Mine is the Rockwell S6 with 3 plates for 6 levels. Unfortunately, a good quality razor with this feature is not inexpensive though different models, materials, or number of plates can affect pricing. Hopefully, if you can find one made of good materials, you may not need to replace one of these as you have the others you mentioned.

So, my new Henson safety razor arrived yesterday & I got to try it out last night. The design is really well thought out. It'll take a couple times to get used to it's lightweight after using the Merkurs for so long, but I managed to get through the first shave with it without needing a blood transfusion. The free blades that came with it leave alot to be desired though, and I'll be using my Feathers from now on.

20231116_091944-X2.jpg20231116_092000-XL.jpg

Both of my razor handles are older than I am, my travel razor is a Gillette tech open comb that I think has patent dates from 37 or so, and my main is a gillette adjustable black handle that as best as I can date is from the 70s. I've been looking to find a more modern one, but so far just rolled with what I have. I think for a lot of it, you just have to try different combos, since a thousandth of an inch here or there can have an impact on angle, it may matter, or it may not, in some ways it's hard to know. I think the key is to just do what works and then try what you can find for cheap, since price doesn't promise performance. I have a "disposable" 7$ plastic bic that I bought a while ago, it's 80% as good as my other handles, handles all standard blades just fine. If that was all I had left to shave with, I'm sure I'd replace it every year or so as the hinge wore out, but it would still get the job done.

I have really tried to like he Henson as it is a really precisely made razor, but alas I just cannot get the level of shave I want out of it. Mine is the original generation in the rare "+++ aggressive" configuration. I get superb shaves out of my Lupo's (DC and .95OC) as well as my German37 Slant. I am expecting a delivery today, a Blackland "Brassbird" open comb (brass Blackbird).

I have really tried to like he Henson as it is a really precisely made razor, but alas I just cannot get the level of shave I want out of it. Mine is the original generation in the rare "+++ aggressive" configuration. I get superb shaves out of my Lupo's (DC and .95OC) as well as my German37 Slant. I am expecting a delivery today, a Blackland "Brassbird" open comb (brass Blackbird).
I've been using my Henson since I got it last month. Mine is the medium aggressive model, and it took a few times to get used to the light weight. Does it shave any better than my two Merkurs, or Parker? Not really. I may go back to my Merkur 23C at some point, but the Henson is fine for now.

I've been using my Henson since I got it last month. Mine is the medium aggressive model, and it took a few times to get used to the light weight. Does it shave any better than my two Merkurs, or Parker? Not really. I may go back to my Merkur 23C at some point, but the Henson is fine for now.
I actually might get better results with a Medium (++), as I think it would be more like my G37 in aggression/efficiency. I have to make more passes with the Henson than the highly efficient Lupo's, thus the less comfortable result. Brassbird has landed, but might exchange it in favor of the polished version (ordered the matte). Previously I have owned the polished SS version with both base plates, and the Blackbird is indeed a different, err, bird. Shaves at about any angle that the handle isn't actually touching your face.

Since I retired I usually only shave twice a week, so the razor needs to deal with some pretty good stubble. I like my Merkurs, but I just wanted to try one of the newer offerings, and the Henson does a good job.

Since I retired I usually only shave twice a week, so the razor needs to deal with some pretty good stubble. I like my Merkurs, but I just wanted to try one of the newer offerings, and the Henson does a good job.
I HIGHLY recommend the Lupo line at RazoRock.

Back