Any Wet Shavers, here?

How many of you gentlemen use straight razors? After 20 years of smaller ones I've just moved to 7/8 brute and I'm having slight troubles with it. Learning curve I guess but I'm not getting particularly clean result and sometimes clean up with a disposable blade
Lots of people like the taller blades, but my preferences are solidly in 4/8 - 6/8. I find taller razors harder to manipulate in a lot of areas of my face. Still, an unclean result seems more likely to indict the edge than the shape. I'm assuming your technique is fine because, if I understand you correctly, you've been shaving with smaller razors for 20 years.

How many of you gentlemen use straight razors? After 20 years of smaller ones I've just moved to 7/8 brute and I'm having slight troubles with it. Learning curve I guess but I'm not getting particularly clean result and sometimes clean up with a disposable blade
Not me, never the least bit of interest. DE shaving is as effective but you don't really need much skill, it's safer, and extremely low maintenance. Straights are for guys with way more testosterone than I have remaining...

I have this same Muhle, except with the silvertip. It really is stunning and performs as well as it looks. I run Astras and James of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream. Great way to start the day!
Muhle makes some very nice stuff. The set I posted in post #161 is just awesome. I opted for they synthetic bristles in that brush because I have a few silvertip badger brushes already and wanted to try the synthetic bristles. I'm slowly coming around to them and boar over badger. I find Astras to work as well as anything else I've tried. And I think you mean Taylor of Old Bond Street? I freakin' love their Sandalwood Cream. Smells nothing like real sandalwood but it's one of my top 2-3 shaving creams out of the 15+ I've got in my cabinet.

Lots of people like the taller blades, but my preferences are solidly in 4/8 - 6/8. I find taller razors harder to manipulate in a lot of areas of my face. Still, an unclean result seems more likely to indict the edge than the shape. I'm assuming your technique is fine because, if I understand you correctly, you've been shaving with smaller razors for 20 years.
I don't think it is an edge issue. My previous ones have always been 4/8's and I'm just having steering/manipulating probs with the new one. Guess it is just part of the learning curve

Yes, apologies. Taylor of Old Bond Street. Thanks for the catch
I think earlier in the thread I said I used Colonel Conk cream, when it's actually Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. Taylor container is there staring me in the face every time I shave, while the puck of Colonel Conk soap is in the bottom drawer, still unopened after about 10 years.:)

Looks like the CTRL razor that got kickstarted last year may actually see the light of day. Looks like they had a rough go of production, but I'll let you know what it's like in-hand when I see it. For those not aware, instead of using a screw system for locking/tensioning the blade, they are using a cam-lock. Anyway, as I said, it looked like it might have gone dead, but I did see there was an update, so if you were also a backer, bounce in and double check your address.

Looks like the CTRL razor that got kickstarted last year may actually see the light of day. Looks like they had a rough go of production, but I'll let you know what it's like in-hand when I see it. For those not aware, instead of using a screw system for locking/tensioning the blade, they are using a cam-lock. Anyway, as I said, it looked like it might have gone dead, but I did see there was an update, so if you were also a backer, bounce in and double check your address.

What is the attraction to this razor? For its listed price, not Kickstarter, I have a hard time seeing it being successful in the marketplace. What am I missing?

For sub-$100 razors, the Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca are both really good for me. The 3one6 cost me ~$60 and the Rocca are a bit more at ~$75. My Birch handled Muhle Rocca was $95 and I really like the bling it has.

When you start talking over $100USD for a razor, the market becomes pretty specific and picky IMHO. Personally, I lean toward the Lambda razor out of Greece being the 'best' value. Many people though would suggest other brands like Wolfman and others though for good reasons since there are so many quality 'boutique' makers mostly in Europe right now making really nice premium razors.

What is the attraction to this razor? For its listed price, not Kickstarter, I have a hard time seeing it being successful in the marketplace. What am I missing?

For sub-$100 razors, the Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca are both really good for me. The 3one6 cost me ~$60 and the Rocca are a bit more at ~$75. My Birch handled Muhle Rocca was $95 and I really like the bling it has.

When you start talking over $100USD for a razor, the market becomes pretty specific and picky IMHO. Personally, I lean toward the Lambda razor out of Greece being the 'best' value. Many people though would suggest other brands like Wolfman and others though for good reasons since there are so many quality 'boutique' makers mostly in Europe right now making really nice premium razors.
I think in fairness two years ago when they did their market research, and thought they had a product price it was decent. They've since found that their MSRP is not something they can hit easily with the options they thought they could, it happens, I don't think you are missing anything. That having been said, the older companies have not been innovating, not trying new things on the market, and sort of letting things ride, so I'm happy when anyone shows up to try to at least get some life into the space. I know there are limits to the market, for example guys who one-bag travel cannot fly with a DE without a logistic tail on the other end, but that said, there are few travel sets on the market and the ones that do exist are not really "gym locker" or "world traveler" kind of rigs. Another factor is that although these guys didn't hit their price point, as soon as you get outside CONUS, most of the boutique makers basically double or triple in price based on poor shipping optimization even before the exchange rate, so a more international option is good since a lot of the boutique stuff is just not marketed out here in the wasteland.
All that said, I need to do another vinegar soak on my DE because the barn-door screw is locking up again. So I guess, like the blades, there are two edges to everything.

What a nice thread to happen across, I thought it was just me who wet shaved,

I have wet shaved all my life - started out with my dads WS DE and then moved onto bic(ouch) then twin blades for about ten years and gave up and went back to DE, tried virtually every blade over the years and stuck mostly to Merkur razors, I have settled on this set up for the last several years, The adjustable Merkur was the biggest boon for me, I gave up trying razor/blade combinations and can now adjust the razor to find the sweet spot for each blade. I have tried most blades and like feather etc but the very sharp blades are not durable, With the Astra I found that I can adjust the gap when needed and get that little bit more life out of it, is it the sharpest no, but for a quick clean nick free shave against the grain before work its a set up I like.
razor.jpg

I've never looked forward to shaving. My face is always like trying to chop down a forest. I start with an electric, sometimes I buzz clipper before the electric if it gets long enough, then I have to do two or three more passes with a razor. It sucks. I might have to look into something else. The entire time it always hurts.

I also shave my head, so I'm wondering if a straight razor would be a good idea for me or not. Does anyone here use a straight razor on their head?

I also shave my head, so I'm wondering if a straight razor would be a good idea for me or not. Does anyone here use a straight razor on their head?
It has been done, often, but my impression is that many straight razor shavers switch to a DE razor for their head.

Electrics causing pain is a common complaint. When you start out with a DE or a straight, there might be some discomfort because you are using too much pressure and/or the wrong angle or, in the case of straights, a dull razor. Once you get that sorted out, irritation should no longer be an issue, let alone pain. And you might even look forward to shaving, as I do.

Yea, I usually use the five blades on my head and the two blades on my face after using the clippers and then the electric shaver after the clippers. It's quite a process.

Electric clippers > electric razor > 5 blade razor > 2 blade razor. And lots of shaving cream once I start in with the 5 blade. I never look forward to it.

Always interesting to read of other people's experiences. I find shaving pleasurable and not terribly difficult to achieve what is sometimes called a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave. Average beard, excellent technique (I have had decades of experience).

Yea, I usually use the five blades on my head and the two blades on my face after using the clippers and then the electric shaver after the clippers. It's quite a process. Clippers > electric razor > 5 blade razor > 2 blade razor. I never look forward to it.
Friend, you're doing it all wrong.

Yea, I usually use the five blades on my head and the two blades on my face after using the clippers and then the electric shaver after the clippers. It's quite a process.

Electric clippers > electric razor > 5 blade razor > 2 blade razor. And lots of shaving cream once I start in with the 5 blade. I never look forward to it.
No hedge trimmers?

Back