Anybody made a brisket slicer? SKETCH ADDED!

WMZkSNj.jpg
I’m thinking 12-14” cutting edge with a rounded tip and 3/32 Cpm154. Grind in a little bit of distal taper. Most I’ve seen have a relatively flat cutting edge and little dimples along it(can’t remember what they are called). Thoughts on this or suggestions? I’m going to sketch it out tonight and will post it.

Last edited:
I've heard the little divots called grantons. I never found they did anything
Edit:
I made this one a little while back. General design points for a slicer seem to be a long fairly flat edge for draw cuts, relatively thin blade. Point or rounded end seems to be a matter of personal taste
Zf6XBox.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard the little divots called grantons. I never found they did anything
Edit:
I made this one a little while back. General design points for a slicer seem to be a long fairly flat edge for draw cuts, relatively thin blade. Point or rounded end seems to be a matter of personal taste
Zf6XBox.jpg
How thick is it?

I call this The Competition Carver. It was originally requested by two different competition bbq guys, hence the name, AEB-L @63 RC:

xOX9SqP.jpg

4yXhFSz.jpg

Basically my interpretation of an old Green River butcher knife type.

Ready to travel to the competitons. This one has an ironwood spacer:

7LjZxp8.jpg

Made one of our ranch cook Brother Bill, his has a cocobolo spacer:

VNJfBr7.jpg

DB1bhhL.jpg

kAuCoqY.jpg

No steak for the old retired cow dogs, he says. Dang, she says I'll just lay here and dream about the day:

Nm3fAZq.jpg

QqfxAkc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Horsewright! I’m just trying to figure out if I want a little belly in it or not. I’ve got a piece of AEBL I thought about using.

Looks good Horsewright! I’m just trying to figure out if I want a little belly in it or not. I’ve got a piece of AEBL I thought about using.

The belly helps with the slicing which is how big chunks of meat are cut. The design (the Green River one) has been in continual production since the early 1800s, must work.

I love that knife Dave, what’s the stock thickness(asking fer a friend wink, wink)?

I love that knife Dave, what’s the stock thickness(asking fer a friend wink, wink)?

A little birdie says a little less than .100. I was kinda wanting to keep it fairly robust in case a guy ran into a bone or something.

I call this The Competition Carver. It was originally requested by two different competition bbq guys, hence the name, AEB-L @63 RC:

xOX9SqP.jpg

4yXhFSz.jpg

Basically my interpretation of an old Green River butcher knife type.

Ready to travel to the competitons. This one has an ironwood spacer:

7LjZxp8.jpg

Made one of our ranch cook Brother Bill, his has a cocobolo spacer:

VNJfBr7.jpg

DB1bhhL.jpg

kAuCoqY.jpg

No steak for the old retired cow dogs, he says. Dang she says I'll just lay here and dream about the day:

Nm3fAZq.jpg

QqfxAkc.jpg
Awesome dude. You can slice some brisket with that, or chop the wood to smoke it with. Not so cool cutting the dog out of her bite of steak.

Awesome dude. You can slice some brisket with that, or chop the wood to smoke it with. Not so cool cutting the dog out of her bite of steak.

Thanks, yeah or fight off pirates or something, kinda a cutlass thing, or maybe a creepy clown wearing a mask ya might run into in the middle of the middle of nowhere:

3MtHkWP.jpg

I might run the ranch but even the boss doesn't argue with the cook! He's a former Marine DI and sniper and he lights his fire with a flame thrower! Plus dang he can cook. We had New York steaks, asparagus, potatoes au gratin and spicy shrimp.

lemGnb7.jpg

They were SPICY!

PfN1w2P.jpg

That ole cowdog ain't staving neither, she's sleeping at the edge of the desk as I type now. She has covered a lot of big country with me:

OYeWuNf.jpg

Got my back fixing fence:

0ujbSyl.jpg

JkV9ZfR.jpg

AHD9MVS.jpg

Bout 3 or 4 years ago she retired herself. We were riding out of camp to gather cattle and had gone about a hundred yards and she turned around, trotted back to camp and sat down with Steve our partner who doesn't ride anymore either. Been that way ever since, got the heart but not the legs. Even retired she's saved my butt. I was loading some snorty steers into a trailer, heading for the sale. They had put me up on the fence three or four times. Told her to get ahold. She ran in and bit the lead steer on the nose and turned and ran. That steer bellowed and slung his head throwing snot everywhere and chased after her with the other steers following. She ran down the sweep and around the bend, through the length of the alley, through the chute and ducked out right at the trailer that was backed up to the chute. The steers thundered after her right into the trailer and Steve slammed the door. Loaded. She's fifteen now, doesn't hear at all and don't see too good either but when I go to feed the ponies, she'll go with me. Still ready. She got some ribeye last night.

They were SPICY!
Horsewright... I thought you cowboys only ate steak? Well, maybe some chili too. I don’t see those little spicy critters competing too well with the cattle for the grass on your big place... or even getting there up the hill n the first place
:)

Horsewright... I thought you cowboys only ate steak? Well, maybe some chili too. I don’t see those little spicy critters competing too well with the cattle for the grass on your big place... or even getting there up the hill n the first place
:)

Yeah they are hard to catch, pretty darn elusive those guys, out on the range. Often times we find em when we gather in the biscuits. They are hard to find out in the sage too:

KYMP6C1.jpg

Yeah they are hard to catch, pretty darn elusive those guys, out on the range. Often times we find em when we gather in the biscuits. They are hard to find out in the sage too:

KYMP6C1.jpg
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous every time you post pictures from your ranch. It looks like an awesome place. As a small time hobby farmer(90 acres and 30 head) I can only imagine the amount of work it takes.

Back