Anyone EDC Only a SAK?

The Farmer is also my "max" as far as thickness for a pocket knife. I've carried my Farmer alot and have no issues with it in my pocket. This Pioneer X should be no problem.
You won't have a problem. It fits in my fifth pocket nicely and I don't even feel it

I can't quite give up carrying two knives yet. Currently I carry a Recruit and a Sodbuster Jr, I have to admit the SAK gets used more at work. When I retired from the Navy I gave up carrying tactical folders for something a little more people friendly. I also don't EDC a full size multi tool anymore they are in the house, the car and in my hunting gear. I can't justify the extra weight of one on a day to day basis I am starting to look for a small multi tool.

Many years ago I worked with a guy who used one for everything in his job as a shipboard Electronics Technician, today he carries the CyberTool with the USB memory. He swears an SAK is all you need but the trick is finding the right one. He would like to see the model he carries come with a corkscrew, as he is a bit of a wine buff.

No, but I should

A Tinker or Super Tinker is really all I need

Carrying an additional knife is more of an addiction, than a need

My everyday EDC that is always in my pocket is a SAK classic, regardless of anything else. Its really all I need in many cases.That being said I usually carry two additional knives which are rotated constantly out of my large collection (200+ knives), mainly because I have a "sickness" and I just can't carry one.:)

I wouldn't like to forget about my loved folders and fixed blades, they're fun and useful, but realistically speaking most days I could do all I need with this great SAK:

IMG_20160404_111906_615_zpsvkqavcxi.jpg

I always have it with me when going to places where I don't know what to expect (tasks, jobs, problems, etc.)

IMG_20160404_111646_600_zpstk5zx2bt.jpg

It is a true Multipurpose Tool king!

IMG_20160404_111655_892_zpsrxuqbsew.jpg

I think I'm going to try just carrying an SAK only and see how it goes. Going to have to check out the new Pioneer X.

Always back to the Tinker#

While I was shopping for a replacement sheath for my Swisschamp, I found one packaged with a Tinker for not much more than the sheath alone. It fit the champ, and I put the Tinker away for either future sale or gift. For a long time I didn't do anything with it, but one day, just as an experiment, I decided to go Tinker for a while. Then it became my minimalist SAK for a decade, backed by a Micra for the scissors. Not a bad combo. As a slogan, "Always back to the Tinker" is not bad, either.

Hello Nascar,
If I ONLY carry a SAK, then it's the OH Trekker, the one w/the couple accessories. One hand Locking on the nylon pouch or in jean 5th pocket. But,...on more extended outings, Champ in leather pouch + Buck Vantage Force flipper.

Last edited:
I'm starting to rethink my EDC strategy. A few months ago, I stopped carrying my Ontario Rat-2 or BM 531 and replaced it with a Vic Pioneer to accompany my Vic Executive.

I have the Pioneer on a P7 dangler, but I just don't care for the way it carries. I really haven't used the tools of the Pioneer over that time, so I don't think I'll be missing anything really and I so much prefer how the Ontario and/or BM feel clipped in my pocket.

Decisions, decisions......

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm starting to rethink my EDC strategy. A few months ago, I stopped carrying my Ontario Rat-2 or BM 531 and replaced it with a Vic Pioneer to accompany my Vic Executive.

I have the Pioneer on a P7 dangler, but I just don't care for the way it carries. I really haven't used the tools of the Pioneer over that time, so I don't think I'll be missing anything really and I so much prefer how the Ontario and/or BM feel clipped in my pocket.

Decisions, decisions......

I don't like the feel of the tool on a p7 dangler either. I don't know why..

I don't like the feel of the tool on a p7 dangler either. I don't know why..
Yea, I can't explain it. With my jeans, it's not as bad, but with my work pants, it just feels loose or something. I can't describe it.

For around 5-6 years all I carried was my Vic Alox Soldier. Recently I picked up the compact and because of the scissors and the tools in the handle that has become my EDC. (I still carry my Soldier though in a different pocket)

What I will say is when I started to get back into knives I kind of laughed off Swiss army knives as I spent a fortune on Spyderco, benchmade etc. I also spent alot of money on leathermans (most of which I still have) but then I got a Camper model (stupidly since sold) then a couple of other models. Honestly I would choose them over pretty much every other knife. Obviously what knife you need will depend on the situation but you can do a hell of alot with a Victorinox. I now have A swisschamp, craftsman, hercules, deluxe tinker, super tinker, compact, multiple year alox soldiers, farmers, solo,bantam and others I can't think of.

I will still get a Pioneer X to try it out. Also I still feel I need a Tinker, Classic and a Signature.

The sickness never ends.

I started carrying a basic Tinker since Nixon was President. Around 2000 I bought a Centurion. Either of those can get you out of a LOT of bad situations. I can't go out my door without that Tinker in my pocket.

Yea, I can't explain it. With my jeans, it's not as bad, but with my work pants, it just feels loose or something. I can't describe it.

Here's the explanation. Dangling works better in jeans pockets because the openings are higher and held more snug against the leg than the slash pockets of slacks and suits. This is seldom an issue for me because I wear jeans 96% of the time. As a photographer, I can get away with this even for semi-dress occasions when I can wear black jeans, a necktie and sports jacket. But when I need to wear a suit or slacks, dangling is problematic, so I simply drop a SAK, usually a Sportsman, into my LF pocket, where it behaves itself under my wallet, and a Rambler in the RF for the scissors. I have never needed more than that while a guest at a formal occasion. That's how I attended a friend's wedding Saturday, and the Sportsman did came in handy to cut meat instead of the plasticware provided. For the few occasions when a suit is necessary and I need a more substantial tool, a Charge TTi in a belt sheath carries easily under my jacket. On the whole, jeans are the best trousers for knife/multi-tool carry and just about everything else.

I'm considering a belt pouch for my Vic. That may solve my problem. My Executive in the pocket like I've been doing for decades and my Pioneer or new Pioneer-X in a belt pouch.

My Pioneer-X has arrived. In my opinion, the scissors are overbuilt for a knife of this caliber. They could have made the entire knife thinner, by simply using a stretched version of the Executive scissors.

That being said, I bet these will be good for cutting zipties, instead of using the blade.

I think I've found a solution to my carrying dilemma. An old Maglite pouch fits the Pioneer-X nice and tight. I like that it sits in there deep as well. I also like the method in which this pouch attaches to the belt and hangs down. No chance of my love-handles getting in the way.

e5108360ecb08426ef2dc7de6d9a10d4.jpg

73ce2edea45fab8e214c19d53c2abcd0.jpg

72d1175460bcaa2a76f4c1ea3d0a5a56.jpg

My Pioneer-X has arrived. In my opinion, the scissors are overbuilt for a knife of this caliber. They could have made the entire knife thinner, by simply using a stretched version of the Executive scissors.

That being said, I bet these will be good for cutting zipties, instead of using the blade.

I think I've found a solution to my carrying dilemma. An old Maglite pouch fits the Pioneer-X nice and tight. I like that it sits in there deep as well. I also like the method in which this pouch attaches to the belt and hangs down. No chance of my love-handles getting in the way.

e5108360ecb08426ef2dc7de6d9a10d4.jpg

73ce2edea45fab8e214c19d53c2abcd0.jpg

72d1175460bcaa2a76f4c1ea3d0a5a56.jpg

Great sheath idea- i useva couple too.

Sent by P F M !

During the week all I carry is either an Alox Soldier or a Cadet. On the weekend I add on my Sebenza.

Back