1.) G-10
2.) Micarta
3.) 6061-T6 aluminum
4.) Fiberglass filled nylon
5.) Titanium
5.) Steel
7.) Carbon fiber

Last edited:
G10 can be nice and classy if done right.
p6gdnBG.jpg

Nice one. My son has that model. Buck
can make some nice handles when they want. Another nice handle
is the G-10 on the Benchmade CLA.

I like G10. It’s inexpensive to manufacture and it’s (from my experience) very durable. Not to mention that it can be dyed and textured for a number of different looks.

The polished G10 on the Spyderco Vallotton is one of my favorite looks ...
DI1KWkf.jpg

Last edited:
G10 is cooler in the summer and warner in the cold to grab hold of than any kind of metal covers/slabs.

I only have three knives (that I know of off-hand) with G10.
A Stockman (textured), canoe (smooth) and moose (smooth).
I don't mind the stuff. It isn't affected by critter or fish blood and innards, at any rate. :)

Personally I cant stand the stuff. I just feels cheap to me. I hate seeing a nice knife, well made, great action, top of the line steel and... G10? I just seems wrong to me. how about some nice anodized aluminum, carbon fiber or, god forbid, wood?

G10 has the properties I am looking for in a knife handle material.
Dimensional stability
Good tactile feel and not slippery
resistant to goops glops and owies.
not heavy.
  • I much prefer G10 to anodized aluminum. G10 feels much better in the hand and is less slippery. You can add inserts to fix that, but then it's not really anodized aluminum.
  • Carbon fiber and G10 are essentially the same material, epoxy resin with layers of fabric in it. I don't see any reason to pay the premium for carbon fiber instead of glass fabric for the sake of cosmetics.
  • properly treated wood, or wood which does not require treatment is OK. It has the properties that make G10 good, but good wood is expensive. Cosmetics aren't really my thing.

I like G10. As others have said, it is stable and strong. As far as look and feel, that comes down to how it's done on the individual knife.

My least favorite material is anodized aluminum. It tends to be slippery when smooth. Some anodization is better than others but in general, it looks terrible with wear. It also seems to acquire wear and tear more readily than other EDC materials.

G10 is a really good all around material. I probably prefer titanium, but it works. Dont have much experience with micarta or aluminum. Really like the wood on my mini crooked river.

In regards to it being plastic, I've never had that issue. It feels a lot more rigid and strong than FRN or whatever other plastic handles you come across.

I don't know if it feels cheap, but it's okay.
I vastly prefer micarta, but I've never turned down a knife because it had G10.
FRN on the other hand...

I don't hate G10, but, there are other materials that I'm more fond of.
I don't have enough experience with micarta to even have an opinion.
Ti and CF seem to be my favorites.

I love G10, especially spydercos G10. Best feeling material I've held. Second is carbon fiber. Then ti, and I actually like aluminum. Yea, it gets cold, but if it's in your pocket it stays warm.

Not a fan of wood or micarta or anything else really.

I think G10 is great. I bought the ZT0562cf for the steel. I’d trade the cf scale for G10 in a hot minute. Even better if it were od or od micarta. I’m not a big fan of cf.

I hate the smell and how fast endmills wear when machining it....and that it costs 60 dollars more on certain fixed blades compared to micarta, which I like more anyways. I like g10 on folders not fixed blades, but I'm not a hater of it

Last edited:
I really like G10. The utility value for me is great. I think just about all of my work knives except one or two are scaled with it. It can be contoured to fit the hand well, fine tuning (by me) can be done with sandpaper and a file and for the most part seems to hold its texture.

Even my ZT0909 that sees a lot of duty still looks OK after 3-4 years of carry. The scales have been washed too many times to count with charcoal lighter fluid to remove caulk and adhesive, it has has a couple of suicide attempts by sliding off a roof, one a two story, and landing on the scales. The most damage was some some small gritty looking dents in the metal and G10. Thought for sure it would crack or break. Nope.

Same with my American Lawman. Same treatment and care, and same results.

My weekend knives are traditional folders and they have wood or bone. But until G10 became so ubiquitous, all my work knives had "diamond wood" and bone. None of them ever held up like G10. BTW, I also have that Spyderco Valloton. The G10 is stunningly gorgeous! (It doesn't go to the job site, though...)

Robert

Back