Anyone else prefer 154cm to super steels

an important point to note is that super steel (bar stock) prices are much lower than super steel knives

most folding knives have a 3.5" blade, so overall they need a 4" x 1.5" bar of 0.125" steel.

a piece of m390 in that size only costs about $15

Bar stock alone is not a good indication for the increased cost of producing knives using super steels. Super steels wear out tooling much faster than non super (joe shmoe?) steels.

For example I don’t remember the exact numbers but s110v wears out belts at a rate 8x (or some other high rate) faster than 440c.

I like *some* of the "super" steels, and I also still like the SAK steel. Go figure.:)

Jim

I agree with what’s been said, that 154cm is well balanced and Benchmade does it well.

I really like M390 and 20cV but do not feel “under knived” with 154cm.

I feel it’s significantly better than VG10(except maybe Spydercos version), 14cr28mo etc.
One thing is though, M390 knives are sub $100 now.

I have 2 Benchmade and a Tops Fieldcraft in 154cm and it is a well balanced steel. One of my favorites for sure.

I like it just fine! I'm not sure I have a real preference until it comes to carbon steel vs. stainless or something corrosion proof like H1 or LC200N. It all comes down to "what am I going to use it for?" I can tell the difference between stainless steels, but It doesn't phase me that some might need a little more attention than others.

Bwaahaaa that’s funny!!
I’ve said in other threads, I don’t get the whole need for cutting cardboard thing, fold it up and throw it away, never seen anyone or the need for “processing” cardboard
I have a recycling garbage can for cardboard. If I don't cut up a lot of my cardboard.....I cant throw out the cardboard. I have a mountain of it in my garage....waiting to be broken down.

I've worked at jobs where I did not have to cut down cardboard in to tiny pieces, just flatten it, so the dumpster did not fill up too quick.

If I had a industrial dumpster at my house, I would have to cut a lot less cardboard.

Does anyone remember the 1980's (or earlier)? They didn't even tell you what kind of steel was used for the blade back then and no one seemed to care either. The magic of marketing and the internet...

EH, I have enough experience with the 80's unnamed stainless being complete and utter garbage....(from more than a few manufacturers......I'm looking st you Gerber!!!) I have items from that era that sharpened and held an edge about like a pop can smashed flat!!!

During that same era, a 440C knife from Buck, with a proper heat treat seemed to hold an edge for a really long time, comparatively. You could instantly tell the difference when trying to sharpen the garbage steel.

I've had a custom 440c, CPM154, AEBL, 5160, L6, ATS34, D2, 3V, 52100, and productions in many of these steels, and a few more odd balls like INFI and Sr101, A2 (from Busse), and Buck's 420HJ, Opinel and SAK stainless, Aus8a,VG1, VG10, Krupp, 1095 from GEC, Case True Sharo and carbon steels. and many many others I'm forgetting, If heat treated to a proper standard (and especially with the additional cryo step) I like them all.

Heck, I've ground a blade by hand, and did a shade tree back yard heat treat/quench/temper in my oven, a I really enjoy how that hunk of junk retains and edge ....

There are a whole list of Super Steels that I have bor tried. Lots of high hardness, exponentially more wear resistant steels I'd love to try out. But I only have so many dollars, and only a few pockets at a time....

On a side note, if anyone has any super steel they hate using.....send it my way (,or even plain old Boring norma steel too, for that matter). I'll sharpen it up, smile when it shaves and whittles free hanging hair, and put it in my pocket to use (then repeat the sharpening and smiling steps whenever needed).

Last edited:
Bwaahaaa that’s funny!!
I’ve said in other threads, I don’t get the whole need for cutting cardboard thing, fold it up and throw it away, never seen anyone or the need for “processing” cardboard

I process little cardboard disposal dish trays for my cats wet food. So I don't have to clean out a bowl and have to touch that putrid rotten carrion.

3p3BHVH.jpg

As far as steels go there are maybe 8 I try to stay away from cause had multiple bad experiences with it. Both basic and super steels. Only own one knife anymore which is considered a super steel (these days) which is a spectrumwear fixed blade. Really amazed by that one as holds edge forever, EASY to sharpen, and tough. I mostly own knives cause like there design, looks, how they cut and feel. The steel choice used for blade can be a complete deal breaker for me too tho. Gotta find a happy medium with everything including price. 154cm is good.

Last edited:
I’ve never used cpm 154 but would like to. How much difference is it to 154cm?
Crucible CPM154 has same alloy content as 154CM, but is a powder steel. CPM154 do not have granular structure, chromium carbides are smaller and exhibits greater strength and toughness. In my experience with proper heat treat you can get very fine edge with great retention compared to 154CM. Also CPM154 cost is quite higher than 154CM.

Crucible CPM154 has same alloy content as 154CM, but is a powder steel. CPM154 do not have granular structure, chromium carbides are smaller and exhibits greater strength and toughness. In my experience with proper heat treat you can get very fine edge with great retention compared to 154CM. Also CPM154 cost is quite higher than 154CM.
How about the Wasp in CPM154? :):)

Any plans for Manly to sell the Black & Red Wasp to its EU customers? :)
Its a tough question. It is available in Bulgaria at brick and mortar stores and US.
In regards to Europe, I am not sure when will be available at major distributors.
I know that black/red G10 color combo is already in full production for peak and wasp models, so my best guess is that soon it will be available.

Its a tough question. It is available in Bulgaria at brick and mortar stores and US.
In regards to Europe, I am not sure when will be available at major distributors.
I know that black/red G10 color combo is already in full production for peak and wasp models, so my best guess is that soon it will be available.
Thanks! And sorry to OP for thread drift.

I'd take a so called lesser steel in a work knife over a super steel due to the ease of sharpening which can be a big plus if you tend to do work that destroys the edge.

I don't have 154cm but I do have cpm-154 and i would call either a super steel personally. I haven't put it to work in some hard use yet but so far it seems like an very good steel from my impressions so far. I wouldn't mind seeing it in more knives to say the least.

Back