Anyone Else Wear Sling Bags?

Locutus D'Borg

Platinum Member
I got this a couple months ago to carry phone, wallet, Kleenex, keys. My stuff was pulling my pants down. Now I know why women use purses. I carry knives in my pockets but not much else.
In California lots of people - both sexes - use them.
IMG_3856.JPG

I use a sling bag to take stuff to work, it works great to hold pens, a Leatherman, headphones, my lunch etc.

Attachments

• PXL_20240426_233609072.jpg
    PXL_20240426_233609072.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 3
I have a small sling pack that I use to take things to work.
My headlamp, cough drops, gum, aleve, granola bar snack, my sunglasses...etc.
Basically stuff I don't want to just leave in my locker at work all the time.

I have 2 5:11 rush Moab sling bags a Moab 6 is my work/ everyday bag and a Moab 10 that I carry when we travel or go to a festival r such. That I have A good fak and comfort stuff

I sometimes wear a fanny pack (a.k.a. hip bag, bum bag, or waist pack) over my shoulder like a sling bag. They're versatile like that.

But um... if a sling bag is made from leather, then it's a purse. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with a man who carries a purse. Just own it. Say "this is my purse."

Purses should be a manly thing anyway. Men need to carry stuff more than women do, and I feel like women carrying purses fell out of fashion a long time ago.

I used to carry a Maxpedition fat pack to work every day. Haven't really touched it since I started working from home a few years back. Probably for the best. I already have my pockets stuffed with enough crap on a daily basis. I don't need an excuse to carry even more.

I sometimes wear a fanny pack (a.k.a. hip bag, bum bag, or waist pack) over my shoulder like a sling bag. They're versatile like that.

But um... if a sling bag is made from leather, then it's a purse. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with a man who carries a purse. Just own it. Say "this is my purse."

Purses should be a manly thing anyway. Men need to carry stuff more than women do, and I feel like women carrying purses fell out of fashion a long time ago.
So….leather is what makes it a purse?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The most manly of materials automatically makes a bag a purse.🤔

A purse is a purse if the person carrying it says it is a purse, gramps.

ZMJ9Sta.png

gCXUeRK.png

Last edited:
So….leather is what makes it a purse?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The most manly of materials automatically makes a bag a purse.🤔

A purse is a purse if the person carrying it says it is a purse, gramps.
To me it's more about what you keep in it and how you use it. Doesn't really matter what it's made of . . . But.
If I see a man pull a tube of ChapStick from that bag, put it on his lips, and put it back in the bag. That right there is a purse my friend.

Because I basically EDC food now I'm back in the backpack club, but I carried a Maxped jumbo for a long time, and a remora for several years when they fit my lifestyle. I just figure, carry what you need, how is up to you. Too many guys let their fashion dictate what they carry, even if they don't think of it that way.

I can't recall what I started with, but for a couple years I EDC carried a Maxpedition Fatboy. Then I moved to the Maxpedition Sitka for a couple more years as a primary EDC bag. Eventually I found, as many others before me, having more room means you fill that room and carry more gear than you might need or use. Sitka became full, and with all the weight on one shoulder, it became uncomfortable. (3-5 spare knives, a full mini-toolset, extra flashlights and batteries, first aid kit, extra pens, etc. etc.) I dropped back down to a reasonable carry in my pockets and ditched the idea of an EDC bag carry. That said, I always have a backpack handy in the car but my most used bag is a Red Oxx booty boss that I carry as a sling. It's small enough that its impossible to pack too much stuff where it gets overweight. It's practically bomb proof.

Mostly I use it as the OP described, just my usual pocket stuff when I'm wearing clothes with inferior pockets. (Bathingsuit, sweatpants, etc.) But I do keep a leatherman and a extra flashlight in it almost always.

Grizz

The load grows to fill the bag, so choose wisely! I hate stuffing my pockets, so I’ll use a small waist pack most of the time and force myself to stick with essentials. Sling it most of the time. Caught some heat for it over the years, so very glad to see them going mainstream again. Just too handy and useful to ignore.

I carry a backpack, LLBean I’ve had since high school late 70s lol.
Nice and light with flashlight, Jumpmaster 2 fixed blade, pen and paper, and gum at all times. Very helpful when you need to carry larger items (pack a meal, small boxes 😃) .
Harder to pull off the satchel in Dixie, but I see them occasionally in my music stores.

My Maxpedition Neat Freak goes everywhere with me. It's an indispensable part of my edc setup. Because of the way the pockets are set up it can be internally organised. Something most bags are incapable of.

I got few. I usually wear them during summer when I cycle somwhere and want to carry stuff safely. Also great way to carry backup battery and sunglasses etc.
Most of the times the slings are rather annoying and don’t like how they are in the way or drag against your neck.

Sling bag, satchel, messenger bag … have quite a few of them for cameras. Easy on short bike rides, too. For longer ones, and with laptop, I use a backpack.

I just use this cheap $20 EBAY POS.

It works and the zippers have heald up, but this thread is making me want to look for something better.
It's bigger than I need, so I'll probably see if maxpedition has a smaller pack of some kind that will limit me to only carrying just what I need.

Last edited:
Back