1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anyone get the mini horizon d?

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by Johnny brown, Sep 25, 2017.

1. TomR2

TomR2

May 17, 2015
    Thanks for these TT. Confess I was reading those descriptions through a lens with a bit of wishful thinking installed. I, like Mo2, was hoping for a mini version of the Horizon D with full carbon fiber side. Gather that's not what's coming, now.

I wonder if the few complaints of voids with CF, were largely concentrated on the radiused edges of CF on models like the K1? By going to inlays, where there's no edge radius exposed, problem avoided - mebbe?

Have you seen the bronze and/or blue milled scale versions? Any chance they're going to have the cool color variation as was on the K2 milled bronze?

2. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    No, I don't think that's the reason behind the design. I had a K1 with marbled CF and there were a few voids on the flats. Later I got one with regular CF and there were no issues.
    I've seen Spydercos where the CF splintered around the lanyard hole but that's a different issue.
    Seems to me that Reate sourced some lower quality marbled CF. Lesson learned, hopefully.

3. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    No full side carbon fiber version unfortunately.

Like AF said above, I don't think that's the reason. They have made all Liong Mah's full side carbon fiber knives with beautiful results - Warrior 1, KUF, Tempest, and the inlaid Lanny (one of my favorite knives) and GSD. I suspect it's probably a cost reduction measure. However, I wish they would put out a full CF side on some of their knives. There's no reason they can't get top grade CF from A&J Composites in WA and have it shipped to their factory like Liong does.

I haven't seen the bronze one yet.

Mo2 likes this.
  4. hrf

hrf

Aug 10, 2017
    Any chance they'll make some with Mokuti? Was really hoping for a mokuti Damasteel version.

5. AF

Jan 14, 2000
  6. hrf

hrf

Aug 10, 2017
  7. Johnny brown

Johnny brown

Jun 3, 2017
    Release in u.s. estimated dates anyone? I still neeeeeeed one of these!!

8. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Crickets, Johnny. Nothing listed from the big dealers or Knifenews.com. Maybe Reate is preloading anticipation for a grand deploy.

9. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    The Starboy might be ahead of this one too. Not sure.

10. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    Star Boy and Mini Horizon are shipping together. Any day now.

After that their schedule is the new Torrent in December then the Tashi designed Mini Machine in January or February.

AF likes this.
  11. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Awesome. Has the Torrent been updated?

12. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    Some minor changes apparently but they wont tell us what they are just yet.

13. GrobTheory

GrobTheory Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2016
    I really love the look, the only thing I'm not sure about is the clip, because it almost looks so shallow you could only really use it with dress pants? Or would it work ok with jeans or pants with thicker material? Would love to hear thoughts from owners. Thanks in advance!

14. GrobTheory

Sep 2, 2016
  15. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
  16. flash900

flash900 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Is the Star Boy smaller than Mini Horizon?

When is Reate going to make a 2.99 inch folder?

17. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes the Star Boy is smaller than the Mini Horizon. Blade is not by much though, only about 5mm.

2.99 inches? Not heard of them doing one that small. Are you in an "under 3 inch blade County" or just like a small blade?

Comparison shot

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Mo2 likes this.
  18. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    I just tried it on a new pair of jeans and it is an easy in and out but I couldn't get it to move jumping up and down. So it seems to hold pretty well.

Hope that helps.

GrobTheory likes this.
  19. GrobTheory

Sep 2, 2016
    Thanks!!

20. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Just ordered the all black version with bronze hardware. Can't wait to get it