• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Anyone had a knife handpicked by the retailer before ordering?

I'm not sure where I land on the issue.
I do want the knife to be how I like...however, I'm buying a new knife because it is new.
I don't want a knife that has been pawed over and opened a bunch of time while checking to see if some one else wanted it.

Plus, if it's the last knife in stock from a place that checks them for people, that means I have to buy the knife that everyone else decided wasn't good enough for them!
And was probably pawed over the most times too.

I would prefer not to have that last knife. That doesn't sound like a winner to me.
I don't ask for knife to be checked for special qualities , however I would appreciate a quick look over so there are no major flaws that would require a return or repair right out of the box. Hopefully if they found such flaws they would return it to the manufacturer rather then pass it on to the next guy/or gal.

I'm not surprised this sounds picky to some. I normally don't ask and rarely have any QC issues, but Benchmade has been hit and miss for me. Never had an issue with Spyderco for example, and have probably owned twice as many. My Manix is rock solid and swings like a pendulum.

Sutherland has a remarkable sense of humor...and Stabman has a interesting, but rather negative, perspective on the issue.
Stabman's answer was much shorter...I didn't have to skip any of his post. Enjoyed both, however.

We don't mind hand checking a knife for issues that you ask us to check for. We don't "go through and pick the nicest one for me" because that would be terribly unfair to other people. When we check and find something unacceptable, we send it back to the manufacturer.

I asked this question one time of Knifeworks. My sons notified me they ordered me a 710-1401. Read some reviews about the tip of the blade being exposed.
I called and asked them to send one that wasn't. They were only too happy to do it and I got a perfect one. I was told the ones that were exposed were sent back.
Otherwise I don't ask.
Joe

When Mary Beth worked for NewGraham, I would always ask her to pick out a good one for me....

I bought a Case - Bose lock back :thumbup: and had a guy who worked in sales at the store where I bought it via email do this. He really hooked me up,the knife is so good fit & finish wise,mechanics,grinds,etc :thumbup:. It's like a custom hand made knife :thumbup:. If I get any other Case factory knives I'll be doing this again,it was worth the trouble. I do not think he minded doing it for me one bit :thumbup:

Never have and never will. If it passes the manufactures QC thats good enough for me. If it has obvious flaws that effect its proper function I will contact the dealer or manufacture.

I'm a retailer. If I was selling knives and got an email with the OP's wishes I would not really want to sell them a knife. No offence but it bears all the hallmarks of a nightmare customer that is potentially never satisfied.

These are tool/production knives that are mass produced.

If it were a $10k R.J. Martin then crack on, for a cheap production knife I'd be embarrassed to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSF, GPK, and Knifeworks customer service, have all been very helpful in selecting superb F&F model's in which I've ordered from them.

In every occasion, the knife I purchased arrived in the condition I requested. :thumbup: I guess I could've not asked, received a knife with an un-centered blade, etc. etc...

To me it just seemed prudent to make such a simple request. Why wouldn't I?

I'm a retailer. If I was selling knives and got an email with the OP's wishes I would not really want to sell them a knife. No offence but it bears all the hallmarks of a nightmare customer that is potentially never satisfied.

These are tool/production knives that are mass produced.

If it were a $10k R.J. Martin then crack on, for a cheap production knife I'd be embarrassed to ask.

^ You're a knife retailer, yet you can't spend a measly $10 to help support the number one knife forum, or have a Dealer Membership? :rolleyes:

No offence...but if I lived in the UK, you'd be thee last retailer whom I'd consider doing business with.

Furthermore, as a consumer, I could care less if a knife is mass produced, or a custom.

Hahaha I think someone got a bit triggered!

I genuinely would be the last person to retail you a knife as I do not sell them and at no point said I did. I merely stated I am a retailer.

No offence, but in your angry, self righteous rush to reply you just made yourself look rather silly old chap.

Bashing your keyboard furiously regarding not paying $10 Hahahahaha.

Thanks for the chuckle, no offence.

Calm down dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never have and never will. If it passes the manufactures QC thats good enough for me. If it has obvious flaws that effect its proper function I will contact the dealer or manufacture.

Yup.

KSF, GPK, and Knifeworks customer service, have all been very helpful in selecting superb F&F model's in which I've ordered from them.

In every occasion, the knife I purchased arrived in the condition I requested. :thumbup: I guess I could've not asked, received a knife with an un-centered blade, etc. etc...

To me it just seemed prudent to make such a simple request. Why wouldn't I?

Nope

Hahaha I think someone got a bit triggered!

I genuinely would be the last person to retail you a knife as I do not sell them and at no point said I did. I merely stated I am a retailer.

No offence, but in your angry, self righteous rush to reply you just made yourself look rather silly old chap.

Bashing your keyboard furiously regarding not paying $10 Hahahahaha.

Thanks for the chuckle, no offence.

Calm down dear

More yup.

I've asked dealers to check for blade centering, lock rock/lock slip, and such. I don't think I could seriously ask a dealer to take a micrometer to the blade and measure everything from stem to stern, especially on a mass produced inexpensive production knife. If we are talking $1K or more, yes, I'm probably going to call and ask some questions, not email. But for a production knife, no.

The girl at New Graham did it for me w/o asking. There were two and she checked the first, found a flaw, checked a the other one and found a different flaw. She explained and I picked the one to ship.

Back