Anyone have suggestions for a G10 Leek alternative

Are you interested? I'll ship it out Monday! I had to delete my emails bc of my membership so just pm me your full details and address!

Im thinking I might have to save up for a Spyderco air as I've been hitting the toy fund pretty hard lately and I would like to get a Para 3 to try out too!

On the way.

And if you yearn for an M16 in better materials, you might stumble across a full custom Kit Carson M16 if you are lucky.

Oh, and if you are loaded down with cash. They'z spendy.

The customs are cool but I don't like them as much as the regular crappy crkt ones if that makes any sense, lol.

I did see a "skulls" Kizer Feist though that might satisfy the itch a bit!

I'm late to the party, but I could have told you the cf leek wasn't a winner. It just felt wrong to me too. The Gerber fastball looks like a good leek alternative, but I think it's going to be slick at well. The steel will intrigue looks well, intriguing, but I have not been impressed with the action of my mini cutjack, thought most people seem to like it. What about the Benchmade bugout or the massdrop gent? It's a little bulky, but what about the para 3 lightweight? Or the not yet released sage lightweight. I've really enjoyed my sage 5. And the zt 0450 is a really nice piece too. As is the classic benchmade 940 series.

So I may have inadvertently created a Leek killer. I stuck some g10 scales on a Delica and so far am really digging it!

I would have to say my current favorite edc though is going to be the baby Jess horn that thing is no bigger than an alox cadet which is why I think I like it so much!

Anyhow here's a pic of the delica!

RRs1m0R.jpg

That's pretty neat, I like that scale a lot!

But I think you are right, that Baby Horn is hard to beat. It cuts big too.

I am really liking this CF Leek you sent! It's still a bit slippery, but the steel is top shelf.

That's pretty neat, I like that scale a lot!

But I think you are right, that Baby Horn is hard to beat. It cuts big too.

I am really liking this CF Leek you sent! It's still a bit slippery, but the steel is top shelf.

I was actually really surprised at how nice their carbon fiber was, it was real laminated cf and not just a veneer. If only cf wasn't so slippery!

It might be a bit blasphemous to say this... But the Gerber Fastball is another one similar to the Leek and Dividend that I plan on picking up. Unassisted, cpm-s30v, and small like the Leek. Scales don’t look too grippy though.

For what it's worth, someone here did a review of the Fastball a few more months ago and was disappointed in the, um... typical Gerber QC. Might be worth seeing if he has any follow up info before spending the cash.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gerber-fastball-kershaw-bareknuckle.1657148/#post-18954033

A new Leek killer came in last night for me to try out. The Kizer Feist. This thing is Mini Kwaiken, Leek, Zinker Dogtooth sized. That is to say it's a perfect Leek alternative. So long as you don't mess around with how you choose to open it, it has reasonable purchase when opening something that the Leek lacks. It also fits perfectly in the change pocket of my slim fit urban hipster jeans. Going to keep this one on indefinite edc rotation.

FC7Rd6w.jpg

For what it's worth, someone here did a review of the Fastball a few more months ago and was disappointed in the, um... typical Gerber QC. Might be worth seeing if he has any follow up info before spending the cash.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gerber-fastball-kershaw-bareknuckle.1657148/#post-18954033

Nick Shabazz came to the same conclusion if I remember correctly. He liked the knife a lot but the first one he got was really screwed up. He warned to buy one from a dealer with a return/exchange policy, or even better somewhere you can hand pick your own, because there's a very real possibility you'll get a lemon.

The Spyderco Urban = not a Leek killer. Lol. So one of the problems as an unreformable knife knut is that we often go on these quests for "grails". I've been on a million of them so far most likely just like everyone else. Carbon fiber handles (hate them btw), framelock, do it all knife, combo edges, tiny micro knives, lockbacks, traditionals, half whittler/equal end (amazing pattern), Spyderco (this is like an entire category in and of itself for me etc...So I wore dress slacks today and threw the Urban in my pocket. The sheer lightness of the Urban is its saving grace otherwise it's kinda tiny but bulky and doesnt EDC well in work pants. In jeans though, its a fantastic piece of kit. In khakis I'm sure it would edc fine as well!

So I was lucky enough to do a trade with @Eric black as I ended up with too many EDCs in the same or similar size as a Leek to put into my rotation which currently regularly now consists of an Alox (Cadet or Pioneer), I'm now totally convinced that I will always need an Alox with a Pruner blade like the one the Alox Pruner. That little blade is amazing, the thing is a hooked scalpel and basically safely cuts through anything, with emphasis on safety as the pruner blade just grips onto whatever it is that it's cutting, a Baby Jess Horn (favorite out of all of my EDCs, most likely in the forever category of rotation), CRKT Ripple and Zinker Dogtooth.

I regularly use an Endura, Native and a Mule Team too but they don't carry the way a Leek killer carries. I also received a Steel Will Metamorphosis in sandvik, also not a Leek killer, Eric grabbed my Feist in exchange. But that said the Steel Will is an amazingly slim knife that is ez open (top flipper) with a relatively big 3.5" blade. This lets me carry a bigger blade and its similar to a Kershaw Higonolami steak knife that I had for a little while. I think it will come in handy for just that function or just for carrying around in general as it's a super fun knife just like the Feist with a slightly lesser steel. The Feist overall is an incredible knife I just had too many in that size.

The little Spyderco Urban is a cool little knife it came in that oddball AEB-L kitchen steel. Its way too wide to be compared to a Leek but it has the typical superior ergos of a Spydie knife. More interestingly though, this thing has a really strong detent and halfstop as compared to the weak spring of its older brother the UKPK (really great Caly alternative btw). A wire clip and a strong halfstop is really appealing for a slip-it style Spyderco to me and I'm going to look forward to carrying this one around in the rotation. I really don't know where it fits in terms of my edc likes except that I really dig it. It's a bit novel to me but in a good way. Makes me miss my coyote brown PM2 and Blur in Elmax I had profiled my blur down to 15 dps which took a while to do properly but that was an amazing steel for the Blurs design. The overall thick Blur blade prevented the Elmax from being too chippy at that sharpening angle.

Will try to provide an update on the Steel Will as I carry it a bit. The Urban hasn't left my side since the weekend.

jCEaWiK.jpg

Last edited:
A new Leek killer came in last night for me to try out. The Kizer Feist. This thing is Mini Kwaiken, Leek, Zinker Dogtooth sized. That is to say it's a perfect Leek alternative. So long as you don't mess around with how you choose to open it, it has reasonable purchase when opening something that the Leek lacks. It also fits perfectly in the change pocket of my slim fit urban hipster jeans. Going to keep this one on indefinite edc rotation.

FC7Rd6w.jpg
I've been holding out to see the burlap micarta version of this.

knife-pre-order-kizer-lundquist-feist-burlap-micarta-exclusive-pre-order-ends-5-10-ships-mid-july-1_2000x.jpg

Add this one to the Leek killer alternative list..

Ok so just got home and this was in the mail. I swapped a mnandi for the small Inkosi with Insingo blade. Definitely a keeper, definitely going in the rotation.

Fit and finish is typical. The wharniefoot /sheepscliffe blade shape is extraordinary, basically a concave recurve with tons of belly.

That said the extra finger groove wasn't necessary and bc of that you need to have an exact average hand size for it to be a perfect fit. I suspect that there will be for most ppl at least one or two hotspots near the tip of the pocket clip / lockbar cutout and also the second finger groove. Size is perfect for urban edc but... I can easily see someone saying it's a rip-off and happily carry a mini grip.

As they feel about the same in hand. This one has the big pivot ratcheted down so there's no flicking it open either. Will leave it that way.

ELY5dHI.jpg

Back