Off-Topic April is almost here!

Living in Virginia I get to enjoy the changing seasons and look forward to the unique opportunities each offers. Spring is by far my favorite season and April is the BEST month of the year! April means gobblers and mushrooms, two of my favorite things to hunt. Thought I would share a couple pics that get me excited for the coming season. Anyone else ready for spring?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/U6hjhA]
https://flic.kr/p/U6hjhA[/url]

Oh geez!! Morels already!! Making me want a filet mignon and some fried morels right here!

We found a house we are going to make and offer on down in Tennessee, so I'll probably miss the season up here in Illinois, but hopefully next year I can find some good hunting in Tennessee -

I am not a hunter, but I am itching to break out the motorcycles!!

best

mqqn

Oh geez!! Morels already!! Making me want a filet mignon and some fried morels right here!
mqqn
Not yet that is a pic I had from last year. The earliest I've found them is late March so I'm thinking it won't be much longer:D

We found a house we are going to make and offer on down in Tennessee, so I'll probably miss the season up here in Illinois, but hopefully next year I can find some good hunting in Tennessee -

I am not a hunter, but I am itching to break out the motorcycles!!

best

mqqn

What portion of Tn?

Spring is here with temps in the higher 70s already!
I went for a hike yesterday and thanks to the warmer weather it kicked my butt.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get after morels or not this year.
I am not looking forward to summer at all.

Stay in the shade by a pool (or a kiddy pool in the backyard) or stream, or hopefully around some nice ocean breezes. Better yet, it will be cooler in the mountains if not too far from you.

Several years ago I was foraging in an area that was a good 45 minute hike each way. As I was walking out I ran into a guy with a bag of mushrooms. He said he had got all of them within sight of the road.

Looks like beautiful country fishhiker.

I know a lot of you are sick of winter and I'm glad the the weather is changing in your favor but here in North Texas Winter
didn't really even show up this year, we had some chilly days but no snow, and now I'm wearing a T shirt in March. I feel cheated.

Several years ago I was foraging in an area that was a good 45 minute hike each way. As I was walking out I ran into a guy with a bag of mushrooms. He said he had got all of them within sight of the road.
Oh yeah, the majority of Morels I've found were no more than a few hundred yards from a FS road or spurs off FS roads.:thumbsup:

I won't be looking forward to summer either, not if it's like it was last year! I stayed under the A/C the whole summer, just left the house for Dr. appointments!

My April fun for today was getting my mower prepared. Got the battery out of the basement and charged it, and put it in. I’ll run it a bit then drain and change the oil. Should be mowing in a week or two.

Oh, the mower, that thing in the shade that fights to start in the spring, should have started it few times in the winter. Maybe if I let the grass grow higher, it will hide it.

We will likely close on the TN house on the 19th - they have been in full-on mowing mode for several weeks now.

It is going to be 69 here today - already made a trip to the dump this morning, and getting ready to go out and start preparing the yard by picking up sticks and such.
I keep the tractor on a tender all winter ( I have several tenders going on cars, motorcycles and the mower each winter) -
The oil in the tractor is good to go - and I had sharpened the blades late last fall before the "mulching" season. Should be good to go and will be necessary within a week.

However, we are expected to get some snow next weekend so I won't rush it too much - we can and have gotten 10-12" snowfall in April around here several times; all it takes is enough cold with the April Showers. Of course that is gone quickly, but the local road crews are chomping at the bit to use up the piles of salt they have before fair weather hits, so the last snows are the sloppiest and dirtiest of all.

I cannot get to Tennessee soon enough.

best

mqqn

My lawn mower didn't have much of a break this year...

Hey Andy, just a word of advice, beware of the chiggers and fire ants (especially chiggers, they're the worst)

I assume you're going to have problems
both, keep you're grass mowed short to ward off the chiggers, any tall grass you walk through will most likely have chiggers,
sulfer repells them to some extent, "off" bug spray works better, remember to apply from the feet to above the knees! They like to travel north.

It's a never ending battle fighting fire ants, you can keep them under control with poison, Amdro is probably the best, just a small sprinkle takes out a colony but you have to be careful if you have pets or little kids...

Welcome to the South :)

Living in Virginia I get to enjoy the changing seasons and look forward to the unique opportunities each offers. Spring is by far my favorite season and April is the BEST month of the year! April means gobblers and mushrooms, two of my favorite things to hunt. Thought I would share a couple pics that get me excited for the coming season. Anyone else ready for spring?

A man after my own heart ... I love fall and the hunting best but I do love spring turkey season and I always sit and look around and spot morels as I'm waiting ... it's become a tradition to hunt til mid morning then start looking for mushrooms ... great pics :thumbsup:

Thanks, Russ! My wife has a severe fear of spyders, so we have had Orkin taking care of the bug chores for many years - we will be talking to them in Winchester I am certain.

We do get chiggers up here - but not as bad as you are saying - I see them and there are certain places where you can get into them, but not typically in the lawn.

Fire ants sound fun.

best

mqqn

I prefer to fight fire ants with fire. Prod their nest with a stick to make a hole. Pour a little gas inside and drop a match.

mqqn mqqn I'm over in NW Tennessee if I can help you out with anything

Thanks and greatly appreciated. We are moving to the Winchester/Decherd area - south central, about 25 miles west of Monteagle.

best

mqqn

Instant grits are a good way to get rid of ants, too, and typically much cheaper than chemicals. The ants bring it back to the nest, they all eat it, and then it expands inside of them, killing them. Safe for pets and kids, too.

Back