Aproy? Bulk Leather site

Kismet. You are a saint among men. What is the difference between chrome tanned and veg tanned. Which do you use/have you used chrome tanned? What kind of rivets do you use? What size?

1st: no saint. curmudgeon.

2nd. dunno, probably chrome tanned since I only bought a big piece on eBay of split leather.

3rd. Again, since I didn't have a lot of $, I skulked around eBay until I found a pound of chrome split 1/2in rivets that I could afford.

REAL talent uses needles and thread and time and drills and skill and all sorts of stuff I don't have.

All it had to do to please me was work. They work. I like the rough texture, but that may be a rationalization on my part. Seems disarming, if such a term can be used for a knife sheath.

Have fun.

Ok saint was maybe a scosch much.

BUT you must be...the grand duke of curmudgeon.

Enjoy your dukedom. And thanks.

You're both getting coal in your stockings for Christmas.

muttermuttermutter

I knew I recognized that white beard!:rolleyes:

PPPPlease forgive me Grand Duke Santa Cudge:eek:

Actually with nat gas so high this year some coal may help out a lot.

Let us not forget young Bert The Not Right Dog.

I have to go to work or else I think I'd work up a bit of song, or something that could barely be called rhyme to make it right.

Like most of the great things in life, I can see this as something that not only could bring hope and wisdom to the masses...but could also freighted children into submission.

Bert VonBarron of Notwrightonshire?

Jake

Steely_Gunz said:
A curmudgeon cudgel?
I can really see this taking shape,

jake
II can see it now - The HI Kumar Kismet Kurmudgeon Kudgel

Made from hymalian hot pepper wood with a brass buttcap and silver inlay.

Kismet said:
You're both getting coal in your stockings for Christmas.

Heating oil prices being what they are, coal would make a pretty good present this year.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT USE CHROME TANNED LEATHER FOR ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR SHOES!!!!
Chrome tanned leather will etch the hell out of any carbon steel knife in a short time.:thumbdn: :(
You want the Vegetable Tanned Leather for sheaths and scabbards.

Dave Rishar said:
Heating oil prices being what they are, coal would make a pretty good present this year.
ramsey.jpg

Good point Yvsa, the chemicals used in chrome tanning leather are pretty corrosive.

Andy, in your search for leather, be advised that some folks refer to vegetable tanned cowhide as "tooling leather". That's because veg-tanned is tops for wet molding, carving/tooling, etc..

Any bootmaker/saddlemaker worth their salt can square you away proper. One local saddlemaker, with a soft spot for historical reenactors (he was active in CAS himself), would sometimes sew up the odd bit of leather armor, etc., for us on his industrial sewing machine. Talk about making short work of something, that thing was nothing short of amazing. :D

Sarge

To clarify one of the greatest differences between chrome tanned and vegetable tanned leather besides the etching problem is that the veggie tanned leather can be tooled with any manner of tooling past or present that's been used on leather throughout history.:thumbup: :D
Chrome tanned leather on the other hand is impossible to tool because of its tanning process.
Chrome tanned leather is tanned with chemical salts and the leftover salts is what etches the steel.:(
The slick and shiny surface on such things as shoes is the main giveaway as to what is chrome tanned and what is not.
It can be decorated by punching holes in it eg, the wingtip style of men's shoes. Also the chrome tanned leather is able to hold up to the largely toxic environment of pavement which is covered with countless chemical compounds like gasoline and oil much better than the veggie tanned which is why it is the main source of shoe leather.

Vegetable tanned leather has been around since the beginning of time. The tannin largely from the bark of Oak trees used to be the main source of vegetable tanned leather.
Veggie tanned leather needs some kind of protection on it to help keep it safe from the weather and general wear and tear.
We've talked a lot about using different waxes heated up too melting and the leather dipped in it to seal and harden it which is an excellent means of protection.
However it is pure hell on elaborately tooled pieces and the influx of wax most generally if not always destroys the burnished tooling effect that is so prized on a well tooled piece of leather.
Even old saddles that have been lovingly tooled and once had a beautiful contrast between between the natural leather and the dark burnished effect of the tooling have been erased due to many applications of saddle soap used to clean and soften the leather over time.
Unfortunately I don't know of any preservative that will maintain the dark burnished effects of the tooling on the lighter natural and uncompressed leather.
Even exposure to sunlight will cause the colors to blend eventually.:(
However if the leather was properly cased and tooled there will remain a polished effect to the tooled areas that can't be duplicated any other way.
I made my own set of leather saddle stamps when I worked at Fo-Mac when I was 18 and 19 years old and I've tooled leather off and on since then.
When I was in SoCal I took orders before Christmas one year and got absolutely sick of tooling leather for a long while.
But it enabled me to buy a really nice set of Tandy's Saddle Stamps along with several other leather working tools I had done without up until then.
They sure made my job a lot easier but I do have to say there is just a certain romance in a piece of really nice leather tooled with my old handmade stamps.
There may be similar but there are no others exactly like them anywhere else in the world.
And I have a few stamps I have made that are totally unique unto themselves and absolutely no others like them anywhere.:D

Once upon a time the secrets of leatherwork was passed from father to son and the work commanded high prices.
Now you may realize my interest in Tom's engraving as to me the processes are very similar.:cool:

Like I said, I dunno.

Folks who have them? What kinda of leather are the Sarge sheaths made of?
Cowhide spilts--but how tanned? I've not had any problems with them.

dunno.

Young Bert, the not-right dog, would not scare anyone unless they were intimidated by a six-year-old, 65 lb. puppy on expresso and methamphetimine, who knows that a command has been given, but never bothered to distinguish between one response and another. Thus "sit" can bring lying down, then an inquiring look, then rolling over, then another inquiring look, then a bark...etc.

He never logged in the specific responses to the commands, so they're all in his mental "command room" which is much like Fibber McGee's closet. He just grabs whatever is handiest when given a command.

He is in heaven here with me, but he ain't right.

Thanks Yvsa. I was on the verge of buying the chrome bundle. I'm bidding on some veg tanned 5-6 oz on ebay now.

Sarge,

I called around to shoe stores and tried to find a saddle maker, but only found tack shops. No leather for sale. Most had none period. One guy suggested I try craft stores. Do you think they'd have leather? Hopefully I win my e-bay auction. Then I'll have to get some thread and needles or some of Kis' rivets. Personally I like the look of rivets. Any scabbarding hints?

Oh and I am almost finished with my two kardas. They are turning out nice. One has a teak handle, and the other purple heart. They've been glued up and await final sanding.

aproy1101 said:
Thanks Yvsa. I was on the verge of buying the chrome bundle. I'm bidding on some veg tanned 5-6 oz on ebay now.

You're welcome Andy. Remember that each ounce of leather is equivelant to 1/64" so 5-6 ounce leather will be 5/64" to 3/32" which isn't very thick/ A good sheath leather is 8-9 ounce for medium blades and 9-10 ounce and more for heavier blades if you have it or can get it.

warning: thread veer.

Web Images Groups News Froogle LocalNew! more »
Advanced Search Preferences

Web Results 591 - 600 of about 139,000 for recipes for Aardvark. (0.58 seconds)

Still not ONE real recipe! I'm losing faith in Google.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Back