Aquarium setup ideas.

LEGION 12

Gold Member
I posted a few months back about my Betta tank I have since decided that I want a bigger tank I have a 2 1/2 now getting a 5 gallon. That's as big as I can go because of limited space still will just have only one betta in it for now. Looking for some ideas for decorations setups something different rocks and mosses maybe any ideas ? Thanks in advance. Umberto needs some new digs.

I also have a 5 gallon tank with one (female) betta. I like a natural setup. I have three different kinds of live plants. There is a anubias attached to some driftwood, a type of crypto on the right side and some other unidentified plant on the left. I use a substrate that is for sandblasting, I think it is Black Diamond brand. I have one still living zebra nerite snail and some Malaysian trumpet snails. I use a daylight led bulb in place of the incandescent that normally comes with these setups.

This tank has been setup in many different configurations for 5yrs now with probably 15 different plant species, 2 different bettas, 2 ottos, and 3 different substrates. The betta in there is about 2yrs old.

I need to re arrange everything to be more aesthetically pleasing and learn how to take better pics but here it is-

The long things that look like scratches in the top center are actually bubbles.
Bruce

In a 5 gallon, i would use anubias or even micro anubias. Java moss also does well in low light aquariums.
If using sand, avoid anything with 'crete' or silicates, as algae live to feed on them.
Natural driftwood is also beneficial to the aquarium plants and fauna.

Here's my setup, much larger than a 5 gallon but the design can be scaled down.

I've been doing aquariums for probably 20 years, it's very rewarding.

Nice I will be using Led light's so I don't think I will be able to use live plants.

What?
LED lights are MUCH better than other lights for aquariums....

My 120 gallon is using an ecoxotic LED light system, it produces amazing shimmer on the sand floor, tube lighting can't ever come close to modern LEDs.

For a 5 gallon, lighting would be very easy. Even a spiral CFL around 4000 kelvin would be great.

Those bettas are very gentle, so live plants is an excellent idea. And a larger tank is easier to keep clean than a small one.

They also do well with many other species of fish, just not with other bettas. A five gallon tank might be a little 'dry' with only one fish.

My ecoxotic led for planted aquariums.

what's neat is that I set an ON time and OFF time, and it will ramp light on to that time and dim slowly off on that time, it looks natural and hues are amazing. Once set, you don't have to touch lights whatsoever unless you want to play with the features like cloudy day, rainy day, etc.

Those bettas are very gentle, so live plants is an excellent idea. And a larger tank is easier to keep clean than a small one.

They also do well with many other species of fish, just not with other bettas. A five gallon tank might be a little 'dry' with only one fish.

I used to own several aquariums, and my bettas were not nice--could only keep only 1 per tank.

Betts do well with fast moving fish, tetras and guppies make great tank mates.

I appreciate any advice I have done some reading but if anything there is way to much info out there. That's why I asked here always get sound advice. Gravel or sand ? If i do add any other fish say tetras they have to be in a school. More than one ?

Well, to be honest, you won't want too many fish in a 5 gallon.
I personally couldn't put any fish in a tank less than 60 gallons.

I'd say keep the beta solo, the beta might stress out the other fish due to cramped enviroment.

Sand is usually better than large pea size gravel because uneaten food may slip between them and cause water quality issues and also build toxic gas over time. Small grain sand allows food to rest on surface to be eaten later.

I have done freshwater shrimp in smaller tanks, a 10 gallon. Freshwater shrimps come in all colors even solid black or white.
Highly underrated and unknown even in the fish hobby community.

Oh, don't believe ANYTHING a store tell you, ANYTHING. Their goal is for you to keep spending money there.

If anything, visit a planted aquarium forum. Start a thread and there will be many chiming in with awesome tips and advice.

I specialize in rare predatory fish.

I wish I had somewhere to put a 60 gallon tank but I don't my uncle keeps Oscar's and has some huge tanks . How about a couple of ghost shrimp ? It isn't a big concern adding anything else to the tank just curious.

Ghost shrimp are cheap, but they are large compared to the colorful shrimps.
But they are great to begin with. Really fun to watch them breed and carry eggs.
They require a bit of iodine for egg production.

Ghost shrimp are cheap, but they are large compared to the colorful shrimps.
But they are great to begin with. Really fun to watch them breed and carry eggs.
They require a bit of iodine for egg production.

Maybe I will get some shrimp and put them in the old tank would it be big enough for that ?

I used to own several aquariums, and my bettas were not nice--could only keep only 1 per tank.

Note the bold section. ;)

That's a nice little setup.

Get some tall driftwood, micro anubias, java moss (not fern), maybe duck weed (will help with filtration, they are known for this), some shrimp and a nice looking betta!
Also natural aquarium sand, not too fine not too large.

I got these behemoths in my tank at the moment. They're babies at 10 inches long, maxing around 2 feet.

If you're near socal, I'd be happy to give you some of my micro anubias, mine are spreading shoots everywhere and might have to throw some away, they cost about 8 bucks each, free for bladeforums members hah

Back