Aquarium setup ideas.

I got these behemoths in my tank at the moment. They're babies at 10 inches long, maxing around 2 feet.

If you're near socal, I'd be happy to give you some of my micro anubias, mine are spreading shoots everywhere and might have to throw some away, they cost about 8 bucks each, free for bladeforums members hah

Im in Chicago my friend what are those beauty's nice fish !

Those are polypterus delhezi. Not easy to find, especially a breeding pair.

They're ancient fish from africa, living for millions of years before the first dinosaurs walked the earth, and will outlive humans by a few hundred million years also haha.

Like bettas, these primitive fish have a modified gill/lung, they can breathe oxygen straight from the surface. In fact, If you were to deny these fish surface, they would drown in water.

Unfortunately, a 100 gallon is too small for them.
I plan on a 200 gallon in a few years when these guys get larger.

I like the mix of sand and gravel I have some black gravel I think I will do the same thing.

Yeah I have about 5 or 6 different grains and colors in there.

The bottom layer is a nutrient rich gravel that slowly feeds the roots of my plants, ecocomplete.
Then I added a bunch of small black gravel, natural sand gravel, and 2 kinds of white sand, 1 is offwhite, they mix very well.

I still have about 30 lbs of sand I haven't added.

2 jobs and trading stocks is killing my hobby time, as well as my knife and gear hobby lol

Got the new tank setup waiting on some driftwood and Java moss. Letting it cycle over nite and come to temp before I add the fish.

I can't have live plants on account the plecostomus, so I use a loose gravel that can easily be cleaned with a siphon vacuum.

tank-siphon-vacuum-using-mouth-200X200.jpg

My first live plant tank all that's in there now are a java fern I have some moss on the way. Umberto likes his new tank.

Pic not working.

You can have anubias with pleco species, it's too thick for them to destroy. And they're relatively cheap. I even order them online

Oh wow fish stuff!

I am setting up a shrimp tank, and going to start pleco breeding, what species of pleco, TBD :).

Betta love lots of space and tons of plants.

They live in Rice Paddies in Thailand and such :).

Pic not working.

You can have anubias with pleco species, it's too thick for them to destroy. And they're relatively cheap. I even order them online
I have a piece of driftwood soaking and some java moss on the way. Going to secure the moss to the driftwood and make a aquarium bonsai.

Something like this on a smaller scale the java fern I put in there is doing well no more plastic plants if everything grows.

My plecostomus has gotten rather large, but even when smaller he would uproot every plant I tried. :)

Looking good! Your betta will be happy!

Legion, I've seen that pic many times on the forum I'm on, i would love to do a tank in that style, but the hardware becomes expensive and confusing. They require co2 setups, which may cost more than the aquarium.

I almost went co2 setup in my 120, then saw the price for the machines. No thanks! Bottle ferts are fine for me lol

But there are some amazing nano tanks out there!

I have bought a goldfish tank for several years .Though goldfish are tough, but they do best in cool water.I like to feed the fish.

Yeah, goldfish also get very large and likely require a 1000 gallon or larger to live a healthy life.

Remember, even humans can live in a 8 x 8 cell for life, don't mean their happy.

Just got mine cleaned up yesterday. I like as natural as I can get. Can't do live plants between the Blood Parrots and Pleco. Added a couple Clown Loaches a month or so back. They are growing like weeds and doing fine. Never had any luck with them before. My red tail shark was doing great and figured they were close enough to each other that the Clowns might do well too.

The Blood Parrots are amazingly smart. They can tell the difference in food cans.

Back