Are cats "city Rabbits" ?

I just saw this huge long thread about pet cats. Ok, I admit that I don't get the "cat thing". But in a pinch I would eat them without thinking twice. Most are kept well fed and they should skin out just like a rabbit. Just avoid a mangy looking one like any other animal. In an extended crisis situation I bet that many people would be reviewing their perspectives.

I just saw this huge long thread about pet cats. Ok, I admit that I don't get the "cat thing". But in a pinch I would eat them without thinking twice. Most are kept well fed and they should skin out just like a rabbit. Just avoid a mangy looking one like any other animal. In an extended crisis situation I bet that many people would be reviewing their perspectives.

I think predators or carnivores carry a lot of parasites. Just cook it well done to be safe

Having spent time in a third world country where if you can catch it, it's on the menu, and having tried some rather unusual food there, I would not hesitate to do so if the alternative was to go hungry. I would just make sure it was well cooked.

Feral hogs where I live! :(

Even if I don't butcher them, those destructive critters are getting put down.

With any feral animal, safe handling and preparation are very important!

Can I eat pets, sure if I'm hungary enough. The reality is most of them don't have enough meat to be worth the effort.

Out in the country, Catfish are a whole lot easier. ;)

There are a few dogs I'd like to get in my rifle sights too. Those cow chasing chicken killers are on borrowed time.

Check out Japanese quail if you live in the city!

Urban chickens can work too in some areas.

Little early to start eating our pets...I don't know about you, but I still have canned goods left. :)

And even though the grocery stores don't have every item you might want at any given time right now, they do still have food.

Not time for "survival mode" yet...

209004459b9e3fed426130f6dde2bbe7.jpg

In the given situation/scenario, all of you "cat lovers" would be eating your cats too, as well as anyone elses cat or any other "urban game".

Best way to keep your cat safe, or off the menu, is to keep them in your house and out of your neighbor's yard. That goes for now and in a given scenario. ;)

There was a survival magazine that covered exactly this topic. I took pictures for the publication to go along with the authors story. For the record I only took pictures of the traps/snares.

20190713_011110.jpg 20190713_011142.jpg

There was a survival magazine that covered exactly this topic. I took pictures for the publication to go along with the authors story. For the record I only took pictures of the traps/snares.

It's like you've never heard of a squirrel.
I'll not be sharing my stash of antibiotics or worming medication with you.

It's like you've never heard of a squirrel.
I'll not be sharing my stash of antibiotics or worming medication with you.

Sure I have, and there are some rabbits around. But those are only going to last so long. How many people do you think a squirrel will feed? How long do you imagine the squirrel will last?

Were talking alternatives here when were talking common domesticated animals anyway, likely when everything else has been consumed. If you have droves of squirrel and rabbit and fish, then by all means. A lot of people in urban and suburban environments won't have that luxury long in such an instance.

Few issues later the magazine publushed an article about pigeons and similar birds in urban environments. Both have merit.

Back