Are cats "city Rabbits" ?

Are non-mangy cats generally safe to eat? No coronaviruses usually?
Cats can actually carry coronavirus but there's no evidence to show it can make the jump from cats to humans. I knew somebody who ate cat once while in some rough parts of africa and he was surprised by how nice it tastes and how well it cooked up.

We have two indoor cats they are inside only cats........my wife would not be too happy if we had to eat them.....but.......

The neighbor has a cat that stalks the neighborhood killing rabbits, birds, whatever it can.....we call it white kitty as is primarily white furred with a couple of black spots......if necessary white kitty would be the first to go......it's a competitor for the rabbits and other things I might need to eat......don't think I would be able to prep the hide as trade goods though.....neighbor might notice that.......

Yep. Don't mess with people's pets... ever.

I read that recently a guy killed someone after arguing over a stupid soft drink. Hurting people's pets are a good way to cause "problems".

All I can say is that some people need to keep their pets out of my yard. It seems to be the neighborhood litterbox and marking post (they have even gone inside my car when I left the window open and sprayed inside). I can't plant anything new in the yard without it getting dug up and replaced by cat crap. Keep your cats in your yard. Count me as someone who won't shed a tear over any cats. And if it came down to a survival situation, I would have no qualms about using them as a food source.

All I can say is that some people need to keep their pets out of my yard. It seems to be the neighborhood litterbox and marking post (they have even gone inside my car when I left the window open and sprayed inside). I can't plant anything new in the yard without it getting dug up and replaced by cat crap. Keep your cats in your yard. Count me as someone who won't shed a tear over any cats. And if it came down to a survival situation, I would have no qualms about using them as a food source.
That's a good way to eat a bullet from someone that likes their cats better than you.

That's a good way to eat a bullet from someone that likes their cats better than you.

I cannot fathom the denial that some cat owners live in regarding their pets. They cause destruction of property, and wreak havoc on wildlife. In their home they are cuddly family members. But elsewhere they are nothing but pests. If my dog were to keep going to your yard and digging up your flower beds and crapping all over the place, you would rightfully be upset and want something done about it. Why are cats different? I have had to put chicken wire on the ground in a few of the really favorite litterboxes in my yard. One day, my neighbor (whose cats are the primary offenders) saw the chicken wire and asked why it was there. When told why, she laughed and said "It's probably my cats". No apology or anything, as if it were perfectly acceptable.

I stand by my belief that in a true survival situation, cats are on the menu. As are dogs. It's like going to a third world country...if you can catch it, it's on the menu (I have eaten some strange things, including dog, in a third world country). Hunger changes your perspective on what should be served for dinner. Kind of like the Donner party.

Consider protesting lock down restrictions before eating your local pets.

Wandering pets are a huge source of fights and drama. I noticed all of it starts with city folk moving to rural areas and feel their pets have a constitutional and God given right to roam free, kill and destroy native species, breed freely and cause literal plagues.

Doesn't wash in my area roaming pets are shot on sight and the local authorities support it.

Treating your pets right is a sign of good character, letting them roam to kill native birds and other wildlife, breed, fight with working dogs, terrorise stock, get run over, get poisoned, used for live bait by barbaric criminals....etc just means you are a moron causing harm no matter how great you think you are.

Owning animals can be very rewarding but it takes responsibility, time, compassion, intelligence and money. Treat them right and keep them under control and there is no problem.

Last edited:
I cannot fathom the denial that some cat owners live in regarding their pets. They cause destruction of property, and wreak havoc on wildlife. In their home they are cuddly family members. But elsewhere they are nothing but pests. If my dog were to keep going to your yard and digging up your flower beds and crapping all over the place, you would rightfully be upset and want something done about it. Why are cats different? I have had to put chicken wire on the ground in a few of the really favorite litterboxes in my yard. One day, my neighbor (whose cats are the primary offenders) saw the chicken wire and asked why it was there. When told why, she laughed and said "It's probably my cats". No apology or anything, as if it were perfectly acceptable.

I stand by my belief that in a true survival situation, cats are on the menu. As are dogs. It's like going to a third world country...if you can catch it, it's on the menu (I have eaten some strange things, including dog, in a third world country). Hunger changes your perspective on what should be served for dinner. Kind of like the Donner party.
In a true survival situation I'm gonna try real hard not to give someone an excuse to perforate me unless I wake up bullet proof. An angry person with a bad grudge will put you down a hell of a lot faster than starvation.

Treating your pets right is a sign of good character, letting them roam to kill native birds and other wildlife, breed, fight with working dogs, terrorise stock, get run over, get poisoned, used for live bait by barbaric criminals....etc just means you are a moron causing harm no matter how great you think you are.

Owning animals can be very rewarding but it takes responsibility, time, compassion, intelligence and money. Treat them right and keep them under control and there is no problem.

Very well put.

It used to be socially acceptable to let cats roam about the neighborhood but after some research was complied they are very hard on the songbird population(s) which some are endangered. The public’s perception of putting cats outside must change.

I just saw this huge long thread about pet cats. Ok, I admit that I don't get the "cat thing". But in a pinch I would eat them without thinking twice. Most are kept well fed and they should skin out just like a rabbit. Just avoid a mangy looking one like any other animal. In an extended crisis situation I bet that many people would be reviewing their perspectives.
What don’t you “get?”

The answer to your question is, Yep! If it’s remotely edible everyone here will eat it.

Any protein in a true survival situation is on the menu!

As to current neighborhood roaming cat issues, I agree with those that think something should be done!

I have rabbit nesting areas erected. And I feed the neighborhood chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits and songbirds, esp. when it gets to -20* F in the winter here. Unfortunately, that means neighbors cats have been drawn here hunting! Last spring when I moved a wood pile, I found a dead rabbit that a cat had mauled but was unable to get to because it managed to drag itself to its burrow. Ive also seen these cats in my yard stalking the rabbits! :(

I also have three DOGS, and the rabbits will sit eating in the yard just feet from the dogs as neither species bothers each other on my property!

Back