Are knife guys nicer than gun guys or is it just this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been on a lot of forums, and don't stick around long term for many. This is one I've been around for awhile.
I think tis partly becuase the admin does not allow the BS to take over. there is a time and place and its not allowed in the general forums here.
when every thread degenerates into an argument, there's not much use in that for me - we don't have that hear.

somebody mentioned age ranges
There were two polls that I could find

it looks like the majority of us are in the 30 to 60 age range.

The only gun forum that I've used is the M14 forum, and no issues, people were nice, friendly, helpful, with some very experienced members .... just like here (and the occasional moron, of course).

Also, there are other knife forums that are not as great as this one .... not a good fit for me, I guess.

I reduced my online presence years ago and stuck to BF only. Moderators are great, as mentioned above, special Kudos to E. and C.

Wanna interact with some of the biggest A holes?

Try a fishing forum. Especially Bass fishing. People who own $150,000 boats.

Archery...They're the worst.

The problem isn't the forum itself. It's a click of old members that become very upset when any new member talks back. Like a gang of old men spending their entire day messing with you. Stalking, marauding, and all around dickheads.

This website is the smoothest, most welcoming forum I've come across.

I frequent gun forums enough. My experience is positive. I don't see a big difference between them and any other forum. Sure there is always that one guy making it hard for everyone else. But as mentioned above, the Mods make a big difference in the tone of the forum.

Another one to keep in mind is the their hobby and livelihood is consistently under attack from protests, activists, politicians, and others always trying to take their constitutionally protected items. So they are often on alert and on the ready to jump on any false gun related data, facts or other statements that can further jeopardize their way of life. We here on blade forum have it way easy compared to them. So you have to cut them a little slack.

If someone runs around with a gun shooting people the news and politicians talk about the gun and how we need to do something to remove them. In contrast, if the same guy used a knife then they report that it was a crazy guy that did this and never mention making new laws to restrict knife owners.

I find that most firearm owners that I have met and interacted with are well mannered, nice and generally good people. I've met my far share of crazy knife owners.

I once was part of the old guard on a gun website. Local state website. Met my fellow members at a shooting range. They shot my guns, I shot theirs.

Then one of the golden boy mods had a little too much to drink one night. And on a late Saturday he describes purposely torturing/harming an animal. Goes into detail.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a hunter. But the things this guy described was over the top. A real dirt bag of a human. The administration read the same stuff I did and on this particular website. You couldn't delete your post or edit. Once the timer of about 30 seconds went off. What you typed was permanent.

Then one day, I called him out. And that was an instant ban.

Knife people are rather gentle.

It really depends.

Glock fanboys and AR15 guys are the absolute worst... they think they know everything and can be rather condescending and rude to those who obviously know a lot more.

But then there are the "tactical" knife guys, and some of them probably should be confined to a mental institution for the greater good of society.

I've been on very few gun forums where everyone was courteous and respectful... one no longer exists, another was taken over by trolls, and one is a local forum. I'm not a member of the Smith & Wesson and Ruger forums, but used to visit them occasionally and everyone seemed very nice... but those are mostly older folks.

There was an unnamed knife forum (no longer exists) where most of their members had been banned from bladeforums, and it was kinda horrible.

I think the Knife forums are more welcoming than the gun forums, Knife guys mostly talk about fit function quality looks value etc ~ Gun forums are more about how the gun performs and it's kill power ~ So it's a much more competitive Arena ~ Been there done that ~ lol ;)

One thing I’ve noticed knife people and gun people have in common is an irrational fear of random bear attacks.
Well, my last firearm purchase was a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull, and I did buy a Diamond D Custom Leather Guides Choice® Chest Leather Holster to go with it. And... my first modern fixed blade was a KA-BAR Becker BK-9 Combat Bowie. So, you've certainly got me pegged... Oh, almost forgot... I have bear bells and bear spray as well. "Be prepared."

Last edited:
This forum is more than just great knife content...

It's a place of refuge on an internet that is flooded with pouty lips and insta-book-tok ridiculousness.

I appreciate ya'll and this community.
Indeed, sir, and vice versa... It's even a place that can remind us of things we had boxed up/forgotten about... (Thought that sounded familiar/glad I could find it...)

Good to be reminded of - especially after today's adventures in the city... Thank you -

A lot of the gun forum regulars will shun you for not liking AR 15 and not putting a gun on when you put on your pants. I'm a former USMC armorer for cripes sakes, I got a belly full of that stuff a long time ago. I love my guns and keep them handy, but damnation some of those guys just drive me fruit.

i've been on a lot of forums, and don't stick around long term for many.

If you were to judge most groups by the behavior of the small number of them who are posting stuff to forums, then it would be easy to come away with a negative opinion. You need to develop a thick skin to stick around on any one forum. Either that, or you need to fall in line with whatever the majority opinion(s) is/are in that community (or the bias being deliberately pushed by the small group of people who are running the community), and in that way you can develop a false sense that everything is fine, at least as long as you don't accidentally step out of line. If you should happen to find a bunch of people who you already agree with, then you're not as likely to be on the receiving end of their bad sides.

In real life, most people tend to be much more well behaved and more considerate of others. Unless you happen to be a salesperson. Then you're probably a total monster, psychologically speaking. 🤣 😐 But seriously though. Salespeople are evil.

One thing I really appreciate here is how the expert makers of blades and sheaths are willing to share their expertise with others. So many professions/industries guard methods and don’t lend well to mentoring.

There are some great folks here!

I belong to this forum and a number of gun forums. I keep being struck by how nice and genuine people are here and what total jerks there are on the gun forums. Snarky, sarcastic, juvenile humor, lots of cursing on those forums. The vibe here is almost grandfatherly and well-mannered. I’ve seen a few blow ups here but in general, this forum is a nice oasis of good information and a helpful nice vibe.

For those that frequent both types of forums, do you see the same thing? Is it a cultural difference between the knife and gun world? I assumed the same type of people would frequent both but my experience has not borne this out .
It's the forum. There are a d-bags in any community though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back