Are knife guys nicer than gun guys or is it just this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I really appreciate here is how the expert makers of blades and sheaths are willing to share their expertise with others. So many professions/industries guard methods and don’t lend well to mentoring.

There are some great folks here!
This is a rare quality.

I'm also a craft beer enthusiast, and I happen to have several friends who own microbreweries. Darn lucky being me some days...

That industry (for the most part) doesn't see another craft brewery as a "rival" or "enemy" as much as they see a contemporary or kindred spirit.

Some of the coolest beers I've tasted have come as collaborations between breweries... a sharing of talents to make a greater product... and man does it work.

They work together knowing that bringing ONE of them up brings ALL of them up... it's like a big symbiotic relationship for the betterment of them all.

The great knifemakers seem to share this philosophy that when one maker rises up, all rise up to some degree and the industry is ultimately better for it.

Or maybe it's just me and I'm deep in cups of good microbrew... ;)

This is a rare quality.

I'm also a craft beer enthusiast, and I happen to have several friends who own microbreweries. Darn lucky being me some days...

That industry (for the most part) doesn't see another craft brewery as a "rival" or "enemy" as much as they see a contemporary or kindred spirit.

Some of the coolest beers I've tasted have come as collaborations between breweries... a sharing of talents to make a greater product... and man does it work.

They work together knowing that bringing ONE of them up brings ALL of them up... it's like a big symbiotic relationship for the betterment of them all.

The great knifemakers seem to share this philosophy that when one maker rises up, all rise up to some degree and the industry is ultimately better for it.

Off topic I know, but could you share the names of some of those beers? I’m a Japanese beer guy myself. 😁

Off topic I know, but could you share the names of some of those beers? I’m a Japanese beer guy myself. 😁
Back before the microbrew craze, I started trying some Japanese beers. Kirin had one that was really hoppy up front. My cup of tea, as I'm an IPA fanboi nowadays.

Fort George Brewing in Astoria Oregon collaborated with Kex Brewing out of Iceland to create a beer called Atomic Jukebox. Man, it's like a juicy, hoppy breakfast smoothie.

Kulshan Brewing out of Bellingham Washington collaborated with North Fork Brewery to create Festie Besties, which is a very light but insanely delicious beer. North Fork is this tiny little pizzeria/wedding chapel in Deming, WA.. but they are mighty enthusiastic. I find myself looking to see what collaboration they are going to do next.

Any of your favorite microbreweries and craft brewhouses likely do collaborations with other outfits, it never hurts to ask... and when you do ask, they are more than happy to get you up to speed and give props to the other craftsmen in their line of work. Rarely in a discussion with a brewer do I NOT get a recommendation to try a selection from a guest tap from one of their contemporaries.

Back before the microbrew craze, I started trying some Japanese beers. Kirin had one that was really hoppy up front. My cup of tea, as I'm an IPA fanboi nowadays.

Fort George Brewing in Astoria Oregon collaborated with Kex Brewing out of Iceland to create a beer called Atomic Jukebox. Man, it's like a juicy, hoppy breakfast smoothie.

Kulshan Brewing out of Bellingham Washington collaborated with North Fork Brewery to create Festie Besties, which is a very light but insanely delicious beer. North Fork is this tiny little pizzeria/wedding chapel in Deming, WA.. but they are mighty enthusiastic. I find myself looking to see what collaboration they are going to do next.

Any of your favorite microbreweries and craft brewhouses likely do collaborations with other outfits, it never hurts to ask... and when you do ask, they are more than happy to get you up to speed and give props to the other craftsmen in their line of work. Rarely in a discussion with a brewer do I NOT get a recommendation to try a selection from a guest tap from one of their contemporaries.
Yay, much appreciated friend. I’ll take note of those beers.

If you were to judge most groups by the behavior of the small number of them who are posting stuff to forums, then it would be easy to come away with a negative opinion. You need to develop a thick skin to stick around on any one forum. Either that, or you need to fall in line with whatever the majority opinion(s) is/are in that community (or the bias being deliberately pushed by the small group of people who are running the community), and in that way you can develop a false sense that everything is fine, at least as long as you don't accidentally step out of line. If you should happen to find a bunch of people who you already agree with, then you're not as likely to be on the receiving end of their bad sides.

In real life, most people tend to be much more well behaved and more considerate of others. Unless you happen to be a salesperson. Then you're probably a total monster, psychologically speaking. 🤣 😐 But seriously though. Salespeople are evil.
As a salesperson I find that very funny. It’s honestly the crappy sales people that make the world hate us. Only skill they have is pressure and persistence. It’s a universal experience of that pushy car/insurance/timeshare dickhead that won’t take no for an answer, everyone remembers how that made them feel and it’s an unpleasant memory.

There are other approaches that work better and actually leave a positive impression afterwards. My strategy is to ask questions and find out exactly what solution the person is looking for, and then logically explain what I offer, how it works, and how I can help fix the problem. Then I tell them the pricing and SHUT my trap and let them decide if they want to buy. Most do, many don’t, but we part ways with no sour aftertaste and I say call me anytime should you change your mind.

That said I know I am in the minority in my trade lol.

It’s honestly the crappy sales people that make the world hate us. Only skill they have is pressure and persistence. It’s a universal experience of that pushy car/insurance/timeshare dickhead that won’t take no for an answer, everyone remembers how that made them feel and it’s an unpleasant memory.

Have you ever spotted a psychopath before? I once had a salesperson drive me away after spending less than a minute in her office. I straight up walked out and drove right off the lot. The vibes I was getting from her were so clear. She was a straight up monster and everything in me was screaming "get out now". The next couple places I went weren't too bad, but I could tell you things about the salespeople that I dealt with that would probably shock you. Not everybody can read these guys like I can. I've spent enough time dealing with dark triad personality types that they are like open books to me. Sales positions are full of them.

The "a few bad apples give us all a bad name" is a very common line that you'll hear from salespeople, by the way. Just mention one or two bad experiences to them and they will inevitably say it. It's a cliché.

Have you ever spotted a psychopath before? I once had a salesperson drive me away after spending less than a minute in her office. I straight up walked out and drove right off the lot. The vibes I was getting from her were so clear. She was a straight up monster and everything in me was screaming "get out now". The next couple places I went weren't too bad, but I could tell you things about the salespeople that I dealt with that would probably shock you. Not everybody can read these guys like I can. I've spent enough time dealing with dark triad personality types that they are like open books to me. Sales positions are full of them.

The "a few bad apples give us all a bad name" is a very common line that you'll hear from salespeople, by the way. Just mention one or two bad experiences to them and they will inevitably say it. It's a cliché.
If you ever change your mind in the future, feel free to reach out ;)

I think the knifemakers and other artisans here contribute a lot of positivity to the forum, and they are probably more numerous and willing to share than the gun community, and knifemaking being something most people can try there is a different feel...
Not that I have much to do with gun forums so just my thoughts

As a salesperson I find that very funny. It’s honestly the crappy sales people that make the world hate us. Only skill they have is pressure and persistence. It’s a universal experience of that pushy car/insurance/timeshare dickhead that won’t take no for an answer, everyone remembers how that made them feel and it’s an unpleasant memory.

There are other approaches that work better and actually leave a positive impression afterwards. My strategy is to ask questions and find out exactly what solution the person is looking for, and then logically explain what I offer, how it works, and how I can help fix the problem. Then I tell them the pricing and SHUT my trap and let them decide if they want to buy. Most do, many don’t, but we part ways with no sour aftertaste and I say call me anytime should you change your mind.

That said I know I am in the minority in my trade lol.
All of our sales folk are like this. They guys who sell us our valves, fittings, pipe etc. are great. Our chemical guy is top notch. The salesman who serves us for parts and service for our equipment is a trusted friend of years. They took the time to learn our needs and wants, and cater to those perfectly without belligerently trying to hustle anything we don't need or want. They have all become friends.

My son is a heavy equipment salesman, and he follows the lead of these guys. He's doing spectacular, and has become the go-to guy for many of the outfits around here.

There's nightmare examples of every profession.... doctors, mechanics, carpenters, engineers, teachers, knifemakers.... and yes salespeople.

As far as knife guys being nicer than gun guys, I would rather spend my day at a good knife show than pretty much any gun show. Lots more camraderie in the knife crowd, in my humble opinion.

HaHa you know people with dark triad personality types only make up like 7% of the population right. I guess they all are sales people. I would be interested to hear your experiences. I can say I have only known 2 or 3 people who have had such personalities. Maybe there is a hotbed of sociopaths and psychopaths in your area.

Have you ever spotted a psychopath before? I once had a salesperson drive me away after spending less than a minute in her office. I straight up walked out and drove right off the lot. The vibes I was getting from her were so clear. She was a straight up monster and everything in me was screaming "get out now".
Psychopathy is not well understood by Psychiatrists... under an MRI brain scan, their brains run different, most of the activity looks very similar to that of someone with Aspergers, with subtle differences.

Sociopathy is not well understood either. Instead of "evil," they're referred to as "people with difficult to meet needs."

Each has a couple pages in the DSM-5, but that barely scratches the surface. It manifests in a variety of ways and there are distinct subtypes. Very little research into those areas, likely because it isn't profitable and difficult to treat with medication. Psych students and social workers read about it in a textbook, maybe devote a few days to discussing it in class, then they think they're an expert.

On a spiritual level, someone who's gifted in that way can often spot such people instantly, especially if they have experience dealing with others, because "I've seen this before."

They are very good at hiding it. They placate and reassure, because they are very charming and ever so trustworthy... until the moment they get what they want and the mask drops, because FOOLED AGAIN!

This is a rare quality.

I agree 100% I could of almost wrote this.... It's True.
I've talked to a bunch of people about the two industries, but nobody understood

Until now

*Edit
What are you drinking...? I'm having a Narwhal Imperial Stout

Try Rennlist, a highly charged Porsche forum that I used to belong (sold my 911, not due to forum sarcasm and idiocy but because everytime I'd park at a mall or whatever, jerks would park next to me and ding my doors). BF is probably the best run and most informative forum I've ever visited.

Psychopathy is not well understood by Psychiatrists... under an MRI brain scan, their brains run different, most of the activity looks very similar to that of someone with Aspergers, with subtle differences.

Sociopathy is not well understood either. Instead of "evil," they're referred to as "people with difficult to meet needs."

Each has a couple pages in the DSM-5, but that barely scratches the surface. It manifests in a variety of ways and there are distinct subtypes. Very little research into those areas, likely because it isn't profitable and difficult to treat with medication. Psych students and social workers read about it in a textbook, maybe devote a few days to discussing it in class, then they think they're an expert.

On a spiritual level, someone who's gifted in that way can often spot such people instantly, especially if they have experience dealing with others, because "I've seen this before."

They are very good at hiding it. They placate and reassure, because they are very charming and ever so trustworthy... until the moment they get what they want and the mask drops, because FOOLED AGAIN!

Bureaucrats.

& G Goose 7279 ,

All the people I know who kill people, none of them are in sales....
In fact, people who I know whom seem to be the Worst people are actually in management roles, or even in "humanitarian" jobs

All the people I know who kill people, none of them are in sales....
In fact, people who I know whom seem to be the Worst people are actually in management roles, or even in "humanitarian" jobs
Psychopaths usually don't murder. Many of them get into sales... others go into law or politics. They tend to excel in their careers, but have no ethics, compassion, or desire to make things better.

I cannot go into detail here, but there is an established pattern of wealthy respectable people creating non profit charities to house troubled demographics simply to have unfettered access to a victim pool no-one will ever believe. I'm familiar with over a dozen such cases within the past 20 years. Usually they don't get caught, those were just the ones who made the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back