Are "Rambo" type knives practical?

"Rambo" knives are semi-popular in their various reincarnations. I suspect that it is mostly collectors or accumulators who are mostly interested in this type of knife. I guess if you are religious in using your hollow handled "rambo" knife (containing survival items) in the woods and in the event you got lost or had to spend a few days in the field exposed to the elements , it would be useful. But even if I owned such, I doubt I would have it with me in the woods. The same applies to other large knives that I typically don't carry in the woods unless I know ahead of time I need something along those lines.

I've read this thread all the way through been great and made me re-evaluate my thinking on HH blades.

klute,

Thanks for your honesty and being open minded. It's almost like coming out of the closet - not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Sam,

One down, millions to go. :D

klute,

Thanks for your honesty and being open minded. It's almost like coming out of the closet - not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Sam,

TAH, always fighting the good fight. ;)

klute,

Sam,

Not only do I have a love of David Morrell's First Blood but what really brought me around was the availability of some newer production HH offerings as well as having just now discovered the interpetation that HH knives came into being as a minimal failsafe for when you are separated from your regular tools. Tools being man's best friend [Dogs are second didn't know that did you?]... i appreciated this maximally.

They also seem like a most viable vehicle knife. Walk on brother.

No idea when the first native Taiwanese swords and knives were made but they had hollow handles too.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/961353-Traditional-aboriginal-blades-any-collectors
http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/s492_full.html
Probably not for storing anything but I wouldn't see why not. Seems like an ideal place to keep some tinder. Im sure they must have thought about that too.

Were they just being unpractical tacticool or did they fall for some magazine adds (didnt have TV back then) from their neighbor China?

Cool Movie which features native Taiwanese swords/knives a lot http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ors-of-the-Rainbow-(swords)?highlight=rainbow

Last edited:
No idea when the first native Taiwanese swords and knives were made but they had hollow handles too.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/961353-Traditional-aboriginal-blades-any-collectors
http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/s492_full.html
Probably not for storing anything but I wouldn't see why not. Seems like an ideal place to keep some tinder. Im sure they must have thought about that too.

Were they just being unpractical tacticool or did they fall for some magazine adds (didnt have TV back then) from their neighbor China?

Cool Movie which features native Taiwanese swords/knives a lot http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ors-of-the-Rainbow-(swords)?highlight=rainbow
Sure. I dont see why someone couldnt use the HH for storage. It would work along the lines of the cheapo Cold Steel Bushman. Just plug the hole in the handle with a cork or what ever works.

Man, I love how this thread just won't stop, lol. Great links, Jens. Thanks again, Machine. I would love to see how one of mine performs in a shootout someday. And Bladescout, I want to point out that your repeated posting of that Buckmaster has driven me to drastic measures. I elaborate in the "other" HH thread. So much for restraint! :D

:DI went and looked, Sam. Drastic measure indeed. Sorry to have pushed you over the edge.....NOT!!:D:D
Cant wait to see the result.

Hi all

This is a wonderful thread and I hope it never ends.

I love hollow handled knive and really don't understand all the hate directed at them.

Haters (like Leghog) always repeat the same thing again and again like a broken record:

1)They are weak at the blade to handle connection.
2)the saw doesn't work.
3)they are too big.
4)they are too expensive.

My answer is:

1)if the knife is a well constructed knife then it is not weak as we have seen proven by all the well known makers of old and by Mr Sam Wilson, I mean a knife that you can do chin ups on? What more do you want?!?

2)the saw is meant to be used on thin aircraft skin, poles of small diameter, and to make notches not cut down trees, and it does what it was designed for.

3)the size of a knife is a matter of personal prefrance and it also depends on what you expect to do with your knife.
to some they are big, to some they are not big enough.

4)a high quality custom piece is never cheap, be it a knife, a car, a watch, or even a pair of shoes.
So if one doesn't understand what quality is and what its worth then I guess I understand why they would think only the cheap or basic knives are practical.

Bottom line is
I think HH knives are practical, functional, and cool as hell

As for those that don't like them, I respect you're opinion...... But I can't help but feel sorry for all the hate you got in you.

As for those that don't like them, I respect you're opinion...... But I can't help but feel sorry for all the hate you got in you.

Is it hate or is it lack of knowledge and no experience with a quality HH knife?

Good first post and welcome to the forums, Nitro! :thumbup:

Is it hate or is it lack of knowledge and no experience with a quality HH knife?

Good first post and welcome to the forums, Nitro! :thumbup:

I think its a little bit of both.

And thank you TAH, it's great to be part of the forums and especialy this thread, I really like all the info being shared and love looking at all the pics.
Keep'em coming guys.

If by "Rambo Knife" you mean a large Bowie Knife...Well, they are more practical than a Tom Brown Tracker (which still gets stroke jobs on these and other boards, despite it being more useless than a pewter handled fantasy knife with Pakistan mystery steel)

If by "Rambo Knife" you mean a large Bowie Knife...Well, they are more practical than a Tom Brown Tracker (which still gets stroke jobs on these and other boards, despite it being more useless than a pewter handled fantasy knife with Pakistan mystery steel)
Uh-ohh, I can just see the new thread now: 'Are Tom Brown Tracker knives practical?':p

This has turned into a hell of a thread! It's one I can finally be proud of! :-D lolz

Hey Ron, I gotta ask. Have you decided if HH "Rambo" knives are practical or not? Heck, your opinion is the only one that matters since it was your original question. :D

Back