Are there actually any good MTech or Tac Force price range knives?

Sorry, I call BS on this. Show me an example.

The two knife Kershaw sets are called "starter series". I think there are two sets I have seen. I don't have either of them.
https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/kershaw/images/KS1300KITXt.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/262648506297-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

There was a $6 Kershaw at Walmart that came with a keychain as well as a spork tool.
I thought about buying it once, but figured for $6 with the two extras that money was probably for the name.

Yes, the quality of the knife bottom has improved. Compared to the embarassing no-name Japanese and Hong Kong made junk of the 60s and 70s, we have much better choices today.

Some forget that back then we had to deal with stuff like this, which not only fell apart when you took it out of the package, but had no edge or heat treat, and came with an a thin vinyl sheath best suited for a toy rubber knife.

s-l1600.jpg

Cheap foreign labor and modern designs and tooling have helped. Companies like Mtech imports thousands of designs, sometimes they are worth the price, more often they are not. It depends on the specific model and its asking price.

But, as many have already said, there are many good quality branded knives in this price range. So there is little reason to go with a cheap brand that is hit or miss.

n2s

They still make this exact pos and it's still $10.

Sorry, I call BS on this. Show me an example.

The two knife Kershaw sets are called "starter series". I think there are two sets I have seen. I don't have either of them.
https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/kershaw/images/KS1300KITXt.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/262648506297-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Kershaw Lifter AKA M-Tech model# MT-A842SW.All MTech did for Kershaw was add a stabilizer to the framelock and of course relabel.I'd have to look through more of MTech's large catalog to confirm that on the rest on the line using 3Cr13 but most likely it's by MTech really.Not to veer off track but this isn't really that uncommon for companies to incorporate MTech models under their brand name and inflating the price.BlizeTec's G-10 handled knife on Amazon for example is just a rebranded knife from MTech's USMC Series.Blizetec never had the spine jimping put on versus MTech's model probably to save cost on it per unit.Hoffman-Richter is another company using an MTech knife in disguise that's been changed to grey instead of 'blue titanium',here's that model # to compare it...MT-A830BL.

Last edited:
Kershaw Lifter AKA M-Tech model# MT-A842SW.All MTech did for Kershaw was add a stabilizer to the framelock and of course relabel.I'd have to look through more of MTech's large catalog to confirm that on the rest on the line using 3Cr13 but most likely it's by MTech really.Not to veer off track but this isn't really that uncommon for companies to incorporate MTech models under their brand name and inflating the price.BlizeTec's G-10 handled knife on Amazon for example is just a rebranded knife from MTech's USMC Series.Blizetec never had the spine jimping put on versus MTech's model probably to save cost on it per unit.Hoffman-Richter is another company using an MTech knife in disguise that's been changed to grey instead of 'blue titanium',here's that model # to compare it...MT-A830BL.

Was the M-Tech out first ?
If not it's possible they're just copying the Kershaw.
Not sure why they would and it totally looks fugly enough to be an M-Tech design but without confirmation who really knows.

Kershaw Lifter AKA M-Tech model# MT-A842SW.All MTech did for Kershaw was add a stabilizer to the framelock and of course relabel.I'd have to look through more of MTech's large catalog to confirm that on the rest on the line using 3Cr13 but most likely it's by MTech really.Not to veer off track but this isn't really that uncommon for companies to incorporate MTech models under their brand name and inflating the price.BlizeTec's G-10 handled knife on Amazon for example is just a rebranded knife from MTech's USMC Series.Hoffman-Richter is another company using an MTech knife in disguise that's been changed to grey instead of 'blue titanium',here's that model # to compare it...MT-A830BL.

I stand corrected, that Kershaw Lifter does look identical to the MTech, the lifter says it uses Kershaws "SpeedSafe" assisted open and the MTech just says "spring assist". Kershaw says its "SpeedSafe" is a pantented assisted open system.

I'm betting they are just made at the same Chinese factory and anyone can have them branded anything they want for the right # of production run.

Was the M-Tech out first ?
If not it's possible they're just copying the Kershaw.
Not sure why they would and it totally looks fugly enough to be an M-Tech design but without confirmation who really knows.

What's funny about your inquiry Hickory on the origin of this knife is I researched it BECAUSE it reflected an MTech design.The odd tanto shape,metal body,the 3Cr13 steel,and finger guard activated assisted-opening?...rang too many MTech bells.

I stand corrected, that Kershaw Lifter does look identical to the MTech, the lifter says it uses Kershaws "SpeedSafe" assisted open and the MTech just says "spring assist". Kershaw says its "SpeedSafe" is a pantented assisted open system.

I'm betting they are just made at the same Chinese factory and anyone can have them branded anything they want for the right # of production run.

Well to stay focused on the thread and put Kershaw to the side for a minute it's not like I'm saying 'avoid an MTech knife entirely'.For $8-$10 they lock up,cut and sharpen,clip on the pocket,and aluminum bodied they take a drop to a hard floor.Expect the AO function to die out after a few years but you can remove it and the knife still works.I will give them props and say they make China made at that price range look better now than in the late 90's/early 2000's (which was horrendous).

One of the guys on my staff carries an MTech and he's been using it for the past 11 years.He doesn't claim it to be awesome or anything but...it works.I guess cheap or not if you carry and use it 5 days a week and it works for you then eventually it grows on you.

What's funny about your inquiry Hickory on the origin of this knife is I researched it BECAUSE it reflected an MTech design.The odd tanto shape,metal body,the 3Cr13 steel,and finger guard activated assisted-opening?...rang too many MTech bells.

I personally would've thought TAC-Force on first look, but M-TECH can have similar designs.
They've been around longer than TAC-Force, and seem to try for more knives that " seem like quality ".

Some forget that back then we had to deal with stuff like this, which not only fell apart when you took it out of the package, but had no edge or heat treat, and came with an a thin vinyl sheath best suited for a toy rubber knife.

s-l1600.jpg

AHH YES, where have you been all these years my old friend?!?!? :D

The drugstore knockoff Rambo knife was awesome!!! That is, until you actually wanted to use it. It was virtually impossible to sharpen, usually you either broke the tip off after the first couple of stabs into a piece of wood OR the blade broke off right at the hilt. :( *molecular bonded stainless steel* indeed

Then the Rambo fantasy was put on hold until you got another 10 bucks. :p

Last edited:
I have some actual experience with M-Tech knives.

I picked up a few after I got my Harbor Freight 1x30" so that I had some beater knives to practice grinding on. I was also interested to have a basis for comparison, i.e., how do very cheap blades perform compared to more expensive blades? My conclusion so far is that for my uses, the performance gains are more marginal than I would have initially assumed. Still, I have thousands of dollars worth of higher end knives and feel there are plenty of good reasons to purchase them over M-Techs that I probably don't need to get into here.

While these blades may lack in edge retention compared to the more advanced alloys with superior heat-treats, they've held up for me well in ordinary use after some "tuning." Post-regrinds, they will blow away most production blades in raw cutting ability and are super-simple to resharpen, as in a couple of minutes to take them from butter-knife dull back to shaving levels. Also, they will continue to cut through material like cardboard remarkably well even when dull just because the edges are so thin anyway.

ezem2o.jpg

This is not meant to be an endorsement of M-Tech as they definitely have some shadiness and I know of failures etc..., but I guess maybe some of the sentiment that they can't even function as cheap beater knives seems somewhat overblown based on what I've personally seen.

Last edited:
The truth is that they can function but the other Id say more important truth is in that particular budget or for just a few more dollars you can buy some options that are superior in many ways.

Back