are you also a axis lock fan

I'm very happy with axis lock very smooth know other bm fans out there would like your opinion torn between 721/720, 710 for self-defense only carry have little scallion for utility
I've read several threads where 710 a top choice for all around carry utility/self defense but which one for self-defense only also would anybody consider 940 good for self defense
actually brought emerson mini-comm with wave for s/d carry but just like axis lock better must admit though wave a nice feature thanks

I like Axis too. It allovs to open knife by using inertia only - one stylish palm move and it's redy with a cool snap. I had lot of fan opening it this way with different grips in different positions. Only, need to loose pivot a bit.
It does not put any side pressure on a blade as liner or frame lock does (kind of blade break) and always under your fingers to close with one hande - not like back-lock.
I like it - too bad that only BM can use it.
Thanks, Vassili.

Never thought, it could happen, but after getting used to axis, i stay away from other loccking mechs.

I use the 806 and the auto axis version.

My 710HS is me favorite & the Griptillian close behind. Axis lock is strong & quick, but you can also open knives with this lock ,(once they're broken in & oiled), with a SHARP flick of the wrist. No need for thumb studs or releasing the axis lock. Very fast deployment,very strong lock. I got the combo edge on the 710HS cause it's big enough blade to give a usable edge for each & with the recurve blade, it makes sharpening a lot easier.

Definitely a fan, although I've been stupid enough to sell all of them off. Probably the only production lock that's completely unaffected by torque on the blade, and doesn't interfere with the ergonomics.

Sph3ric Pyramid,

Aren't lockbacks unphased by torque? I think the leaf-liner lock, like on Cold Steel's Scimitar is similarly unaffected.

Book,

I have a 941BTPUR that opens quickly and locks solid, so I would imagine that the 940 is just as easy to quickly open in a safe manner.

The AXIS lock is the best I've seen in a folder. The knives are fast to open and once locked they are very solid. I shy away from liner locks anymore as it makes the knife feel more like a toy than a serious tool. I also love the 710HS and have it with the combo edge. Hopefully I will never have to use it for self defense as whoever I would have to use it on would be in bad shape when they meet up with the Edge Pro sharpened edge. :)

CS licenses the Axis lock from BM to use on their Recon 1 folders.

Axis is my fave as well. Now that I've used it for awhile others aren't quite the same!

Lockbacks aren't as susceptible to torque as many others, especially with Spyderco's use of the "Boye dent", but occasionally torque in addition to a white-knuckle grip can release the lock.

The AXIS lock isn't susceptible in any way to this because the release is a front to back motion, instead of moving something to the side or down like most of the locks on the market.

BTW, Cold Steel doesn't license the lock, they made their own "version" of it called the Ultra Lock. By many accounts, it's nowhere as well made as the BM lineup.

I've read in passing that the AXIS lock has a weak spot when it comes to dirt and debris. Would you feel confortable and confident taking an AXIS equiped knife with you into the woods as your only knife? How about sand? Any personal experience with this?

I have never owned an AXIS lock knife though I have handled one. It certainly seems decent. With regards to the statements above about opening, I have yet to come across a quality "tactical" folding knife that couldn't be opened by just flicking it.

Mark

I don't own one, but a friend does (a 730BTS) and 2 years later I'm pretty sure one of the springs is broken-it's very rough and noisy. The lock is obviously good for normal use, but also obviously very susceptible to getting gummed up from sand, dirt and debris. I much prefer a well-executed linerlock, a microbar type lock (socom elite, spyderco military), and especially a framelock. Keeping it simple.

-Trent

I have settled on my Benchmade 943 as my favorite EDC and the AXIS lock is part of what sold me on the knife.

I just got my first AXIS lock. A 941TI-01 The one with the Titanium
blue and silver handle.
I'm sold on this lock. It's easy to open and close with the flip of your wrist. I never have to touch the blade.

Upon close examination I think that it would be very easy to keep clean around the locking area.

After using the AXIS system, I'm sold on it. I don't want anything else.

Walt

From the box of my CS Recon 1:

"Portions of the Ultra Lock Mechanism are under license from Benchmade Knife Company."

Don't know how many "portions" as the only current BM I have is a fixed blade so I can't really compare.

Anybody know what the differences are?

Back