are you also a axis lock fan

I have 3 BMs with the Axis lock, and outside of multi-tools they are my EDC rotation.

I have:
806D2 - weekends, outdoors
551D2 - weekends
556D2 - weekdays, work

The locks performed very well on all of them.

- gadgetaddict

I note that nobody has mentioned the Spyderco Compression Lock when talking about strong locks for folders, or Spyderco's adjustable pivot, for that matter. I have the Compression Lock on several of my Spydies and I can see no reason to think that it would ever fail and it is ever so much simpler than the Axis Lock. Complexity raises the question of Murphy's Law, remember, "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong." And the First Corollary to it is, "It usually goes wrong at the most inopportune moment." That is why, in the case of folding knives, I tend to prefer the simplest effective lock, and that would appear to be the Compression Lock, although, I must admit to liking the Axis Lock for EDC as well, especially on their Model 921 Switchback. I also like it in two other Warren Osborne designs, the 770 Gentleman's Folder and the original 940.

I really love the axis lock!! But as for self defense i sometimes carry a 145SBT mini nimravus. Its small and you can rig the sheath to carry inside the pants while still looped through the belt. Easy to conceal.

I'd like to hear more elaborate comments from those who've been carrying their knives for at least a year... how they held up over time.. problems encountered, if any.. etc.

My current EDC includes an BM 720 Axis. I like it because it doesn't scream TACTICAL! (but would work, if need be) and so far has been quite useful for things beyond knifesturbation. The axis lock is very good, but I don't really prefer it over any other well-made system. I think that the knife's shape and intended purpose have a big factor in the type of locking mechanism it gets, but I'm not an engineer or anything. Meh.

The blade's a bit thick, a good thing. After the factory edge wore down I tried getting a good edge with my Lansky using several different angles and grit combos. I need more practice or something. Finally ended up using my wife's kitchen knife (Zwilling, J.A. Henckles, Solingen GE) sharpener, a draw-thru the ceramic discs handle-looking thingy that works great. Here's a bunch of them to gaze upon for you http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpeners.html

Anyhow, the 720s handle is metal. Not really heavy, but substantial. If your area has a lot of temerature extremes and rain, you may want to consider the 721 for it's lighter, grippy-handle stuff. I put a strip of sk8bord tape on the backstrap and a small split-ring thru the lanyard hole to get a little more purchase for my hands (medium, kinda stubby), now everything works great.

I'd buy another if I lost mine, but I don't think it's gonna break any time soon.

I am not an axis fan. Don't really know why, the lock just doesn't float my boat. I like benchmades, both liner locks and button locks. I used to not like the axis because most of the knives tended to be a little wide in the handle/pivot area. But that doesn't seem true today. Maybe it's the springs, but a button lock uses them too, and I like benchmade autos.

My EDC is a pre-production 710 (purchased when they first came out). Haven't had a problem with it yet.

Originally posted by FullerH
I note that nobody has mentioned the Spyderco Compression Lock when talking about strong locks for folders

Those locks are great. They may not have been mentioned because this thread was asking who here likes axis locks.

My son's EDC rotation involves only two knives: BM 710 and 705. A 705 is in my pocket 75% of the time. Zero lock trouble. No broken springs, after what? 3 years.. We routinely blow the fluff and stuff out of the lock area. It seems like a good idea. My one folder for going out in the woods is the BM 750 or the Spyderco Military..simpler...no little pieces...My son, however, has complete faith in the 710 for that purpose and he actually spends alot of time out in the woods. It's still a thumbs up for the axis lock.

part 2 of thread mini-commander have one just don't carry it often not sure why. looks good, strong blade, wave works well mines is satin plain edge green handles read prev posts ? quality control with some
anybody have one they swear by, anybody have one they hate & why
also bm comments interesting looks like axis lock definite good deal

Yes I like the Axis lock. I prefer the 940. I like its blade shape and I have used mine very hard and it holds up better than I thought it would. Also I gave my son-in-law in the U.S. Navy a 705 and he really beats the heck out of it and it still works pretty well but by looking at it you can tell it's well used.

Back