1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ask Toooj

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by OntarioKnifeCompany, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Toooj

Toooj

Aug 8, 2006
    Wood Splitter,

Purposeful change. Many states have laws against double edged knives. The sharpened swedge falls into that category. So we don't sharpen the swedge except for US Military Contract knives.
    It's easy to sharpen the swedge if you so desire.
    Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
    V.P. of Engineering
    Ontario Knife Company

2. PISTACHITASA

PISTACHITASA

Apr 7, 2019
    Case in point: Spyderco's Taichung, Taiwan models, many of which are made from titanium or carbon fiber, S30V are extremely well built and very good mid-level or high end production knives. They are also very good sellers, I mean they keep making knives there using the high end materials, so......

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    was this it?
    http://www.ontarioknifestore.com/ontario-okc-10-tanto-bayonet-system-discontinued/

Also, according to the writer of this article
    http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_28.htm
    regatding the okc3
    "..the winning design was one of 16 styles submitted by the Ontario Knife Company of Franklinville, New York..."
    So wow! were there actually 16 different submissions by ontario knives ? Would be nice to know how excactly these differed and looked like.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. oinker

oinker

Nov 28, 2018
    Hello Toooj. My question regards the Chimera, and whether there are any plans to redesign the tang and pommel system to be stronger, and more accurate to its marketing as a hard-use knife. I am aware that he was flagrantly abusing the knife, but seeing as the Chimera commands a nearly $100 price tag, I believe Mayor Fuglycool's Chimera should not have broken the way it did. (Certainly previous tests may have compromised the integrity of the tool, but the pommel did snap off, ultimately, while doing something it was marketed to be able to do, bashing/crushing.)

I love my SP2 pilot knife, and have total faith in its relatively wider, much better-designed stick tang compared to most Ka-Bars. (I also don't abuse my knives.) But the design of the Chimera's D2 pommel fitting seems to me like a glaring structural flaw. This is a shame as it's one of the coolest looking knives I've ever seen, I love beefy overbuilt hardware, and overall I really do want to like, and own, a Chimera.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. Toooj

Toooj

Aug 8, 2006
    GIRLYmann,

I did find the book with the drawings. I will see about posting...it maybe confidential. If it is, I'll just post about the pattern shapes.

oinker,

I will view the video and let you know.
    Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
    V.P. of Engineering
    Ontario Knife Company

buckfynn, oinker and GIRLYmann like this.
  6. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    That would be so awesome :)
    Thanks in advance !
    As always, you da man ;-)

7. Bruce Yurman

Bruce Yurman

Jun 2, 2019

8. mark70

mark70

Apr 8, 2017
    :)
    It is a few days since I bought the karambit ontario ranger from (official dealer 150 €) ergonomics and dimensions of this knife they are fantastic I will buy a second soon, but I want to know why the factory sharpening is not razor-sharp for me it is not a problem but given the enormous thickness of the blade and the type of 5160 steel it is tiring to perform a razor sharpening :)

9. oinker

oinker

Nov 28, 2018
    Looking forward to hearing your insights, thank you.

10. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    a large online retailer is selling the okc bushcraft machete, 16" in 5160 steel. I'm just curious when were the last of those made in that steel? Nice micarta handles also, are they using a canvas base or something else?

[​IMG]

buckfynn likes this.
  11. Mister Moon

Mister Moon

Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. mc5aw

mc5aw

Nov 6, 2011
    Dear Toooj, I just picked up the M3 and have been pouring over numerous threads and online articles about care for the leather grip. Both the grip and sheath feel great, and smell like a magnificent new saddle. I know that the "suedish" feel of the grip will smooth out over time, but is there a single product and/or treatment that you recommend to protect the porous nature of the rough leather? Thank you in advance.

13. beachmaster

beachmaster

Oct 3, 2014
    Dear Tooj-

In this picture on the right is an OLD stamped Sp5 that shows a Spec Plus handle as i known every generation of Spec Plus handle to be- that is molded directly to the tang with a finished top.

On the left is 1 of 2 sp53 handles that i have recieved with what looks like an unfinished, smooth top with squared corners, and a considerable gap between the handle and the tang, and both sp53s like this wobble in the handle.

Whats up? Are handles made entirely differently now, or did yall have a monsterous bad batch go out accidentally?

[​IMG]