Atoma sharpening plates

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've seen the Neeves videos and always wondered just what were those diamond plates he was using, they look so...neat...very precise sharpening stones and found that they are Atoma, so I went forth and ordered, for right now, 2 stones, a 140 and a 600.
the 600 just arrived and quite pleased so far, very consistent feeling across the stone compared to my dmt stones

The urge most people fall for is to use more pressure, which as we find out can be detrimental to the life of the stones, so an easy touch when sharpening I think is key, but time will tell how these fare.

The base surface of the stone is very mirror like and while thick, it is quite light which is a plus as my dmt stones I have to warm up before I attempt to pick them up as they are solid steel and quite heavy! well, I have them rubber banded 3 so that does make it heavy to get out of the drawer ;)

This is the Atoma 600

Now, I'm thinking I should get the next higher grit now, the 140 hasn't arrived yet, but I like how this 600 feels during sharpening.

G2

Last edited:
Interesting, haven't seen replacement sheets!
G2

I bought myself all four ATOMA replacement plates and cut them for use on APEX type sharpeners. These are great stones, VERY aggressive, so you have to be careful when using them, because even a 1200 stone leaves quite noticeable lines
I bought the plates in Japan, but it can find on Amazon

links to Amazon and other non supporting vendors are not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them a lot. I have the 140, 400 and the 1200. I like the edge the 1200 puts on with a little stropping.

I have one of the 1200. As mentioned it's Aggressive, and shows lines.
I can't imagine using any that are coarser?

I use mine, then finish of on another mixed fine stone, then final finishing on flat sharpening steel.

Curious to hear from others.

Atomas are much more aggressive than dmts. I bought the line originally to lap waterstones with. 140 and the 400 grit are really good for hogging metal. But if your looking for a mirror finish I think you may be disappointed. It leaves some serious errant deep scratches.

My main purpose is to be able to set initial bevels and get to a very toothy kind of edge. For a more polished edge I would agree that diamonds are 'shiny' but not as polished and I would use my shapton stones to get the bevel up to a mirror if that was something I was needing.
G2

The 140 plate arrived yesterday and wow, look up aggressive in the dictionary and there should be a photo of that surface! Reminds me more of a 36 grit belt. I've not anything at hand that can use this yet but it certainly should abrade metal quickly !

Here is a comparison of the 140 vs the 600 sharpening plates. and I did check on just buying the layer and sticking it to the back, if I were going to tote these around I would think that might be the handier solution, but the cost is about the same as getting one already mounted onto the flat block of aluminum. After seeing this I may also grab the 400 one, so, then I would have the 140, 400, 600 and the 1200 still enroute, yeah, I have a problem ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Packaging is gone, but it was all in Japanese with no telltale number. Each one is in a heavy plastic ziploc sleeve that has a metal ring at the top to most likely hang on a hook in a store or for your own storage. So, I took a magic marker and marked the back of each with the grit value, also marked the plastic storage sleeves so I don't go putting the wrong one in the wrong sleeve, less chance of cross contamination is my scheme ;)

The original packaging also had tightly wrapped in bubble wrap as well, around the outside of the ziploc sleeve.
G2

Back