Atoma sharpening plates

Interesting, I take it that the 6C, 12C, 4C represents the C as 100 so 6C would be 600, and 12C would be 1200. I actually have my 1200 arriving today so I'll take some 'unwrapping' images of how these are packaged to ship and what markings are on mine.
thanks!
G2

Well it was actually the 400 that showed up today, the 1200 is tomorrow, but when it arrived it was in that plastic ziploc BUT it was not wrapped securely in bubble wrap like the previous two were, which has me guessing that it was a return, but it doesn't show any telltale marks of being used so, it's ok I guess. The plastic ziploc has some bad spots since the stone was free to slide around but again, it's not something too important as eventually I will have a storage box made to hold them.

Surprisingly my old eyes missed the small stamped numbers on the first two, they are on the sides of the aluminum block which is highly polished and my 70 yr old eyes did not catch them, but I saw it immediately when I was checking the new one today when it arrived since I planned to take arrival photos. So that made me dig up the other two stones and lo and behold, there they were as well ;)

As V vlodko_lviv mentioned, there is the blue square at the top right

This one had an additional sticker on the bottom, which again makes me think it was a return

and the blue square matches up with the chart on the back for the #400

comparing grits

These are very consistent grit size and placement, the 1200 of course should just be a finer/smaller dot of diamonds
G2

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley That's the packaging I was hoping to confirm. It is interesting to see that the "140" is actually #140/170 and the "400" is actually #325/400, as by choosing opposite ends of the span as the designation it makes them seem farther apart than they actually are. Making certain assumptions about the non-standard #600 and #1200 grit it reveals, perhaps unsurprisingly, that the 140, 400, 600, 1200 are probably quite an even geometric progression.

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley That's the packaging I was hoping to confirm. It is interesting to see that the "140" is actually #140/170 and the "400" is actually #325/400, as by choosing opposite ends of the span as the designation it makes them seem farther apart than they actually are. Making certain assumptions about the non-standard #600 and #1200 grit it reveals, perhaps unsurprisingly, that the 140, 400, 600, 1200 are probably quite an even geometric progression.
Do you think the 600 offers anything more than the 400?

It’s pretty close but I’ll know more once I start working with them
G2

Well, the 1200 arrived today but I was kinda snookered as it was just the glue down layer without the base, so I did not even open the package and I'm returning it. One thing that I do when sharpening is to have wood screws on each end of the stone holder and I adjust the height of the screws to give me a reference for the angle when sharpening, I'll rest the spine of the blade atop the screw head and try to maintain that angle while sharpening, but if one of the sharpening stones have a sharpening surface on each side, then just that one will be slightly higher than the rest. I could adjust for that one but that is more of a pain than it's worth.
Now, I don't know if I'll bother with the 1200 at this point.
G2

I’m just simple minded and like single stones so I would stay with the one grit per stone
G2

Well I did order the correct one this time, BUT there is a disclaimer on the add in amazon saying that there are a lot of returns of this item! Which makes me nervous that what is on it's way might be a returned item. If it is, it's going straight back, I'll find out around Wednesday if that's the case...
G2

I made a test of sorts today, used the Atoma's first, then used my 8" DMT's starting with Extra Coarse, Coarse and then Fine. And between the two they both sharpened very well, maybe a slight edge towards the DMT's actually which is a little depressing ;) but, the Atoma's were something that I wanted to try out and the difference in weight is dramatic as the DMT uses steel for the base so it's a small work out to get them out of the drawer :) I have them wrapped in paper towels and then rubber banded together so it is a hefty block of steel.
G2

Thanks M Mr.Wizard , which was an odd thing to say ;)

The 1200 stone arrived and once again the ziploc was not wrapped in bubble wrap as the first two were, which leads me to believe that it was a returned item, but it shows no sign of being used so I will hang onto it,
very fine stone as you might guess, I'll know more once I've had some time using it.

G2

I have a 140 and a 600 ATOMA; I haven't tried them for rebeveling an edge, but I use them to flatten my Kuromaku whetstones (320, 1000, 2000, and 5000 grit).

Back