AUS8 Leftovers!!

mwhich50

Gold Member
I have been acquiring some XL beasts for ridiculous prices. Just a few quick things I like about some of my latest acquisitions.

6 inch aluminum handled Ti-Lite: Thin profile in pocket. Sturdy and a little heavy, but it can also be used like a small baton for non-lethal force.

XL Talwar: Great big impressive (thin) blade. The handle really ergonomic, and is great for small-medium hands.

XL Voyager Tanto: The blade is thick and shakes out very easy. This has the thinnest pocket profile of the XL Voyagers. It carries pretty comfortably in jeans.

Lg G-10 Espada: Just an awesome pocket sword. You have to hold it in your hand to really appreciate it. Very, very ergonomic.

XL Holdout: Very grippy despite coffin(?)handle shape. The handle is wide and should be great for large hands.

Last edited:
Nice. I've come across some AUS8's at a great price, but they have been scarce. Got some great deals on the new XHP stuff in the exchange though. Less than $100/for both a Recon1 Tanto, and an aluminum handled Ti-Lite. Both XHP.

Yep. Got some good deals on woot.com. Check there web site every nite at 10PM Pacific is when they update it with new products although it seems most of the CS products are gone by now, but I did take advantage of the sales.

Got my first CS knife there a few years back when the 4" Vaquero was being discontinued.

$25.00 delivered for a SE 4" Vaquero.
I should have bought more, but eventually did later via eBay.

Yes, the deals on the previous Aus-8A versions aren't going to last forever. But for those of us that never considered it a bad steel in the first place. Now is the time to seek them out!

I have picked up so far:

Mini-AK-47 & AK-47, Mini-Recon 1 Spear-Point, Serrated Hold Out II (4-inch), Recon 1 part-serrated Spear-Point, and Hold Out III (3-inch). Oh yeah, a medium Espada (3.5-inch) too.

I am considering/currently watching the Mini-Recon 1s in Clip- and Tanto-Point once the price comes down. Maybe even a serrated Talwar (4-inch) too.

Last edited:
AUS-8A is serviceable steel, but the CTS-XHP steel is incredible!

I would buy another knife in AUS-8A, but it's not in the same league as CTS-XHP

Been grabbing a few myself, Recon Tanto, xl Vaquero Voyager, Finn Wolf. Some good deals out there. Thinking about a city stick or Marauder next.

Yes, I agree with the steel upgrades for 2015 that Cold Steel has done.

I picked up two of the Carpenter CTS-XHP models and one CTS-BD1 for now. I will definitely add more over the next few years.

The main problem I have had with the previous Aus-8A is surface rust—especially the ones that had the bead-blasted finish. I really like the screaming-sharp edge it will take though.

The deals from various blow-out sales are too good to ignore. That is why I picked up so many in my previous post.

I don't have any issues with rust with my edged weapons or my firearms.

Maybe because I live in a moderate climate (SF Bay Area) and I also keep my hardware oiled.

Might be a regional issue related to humidity.

My AL came in today, and now know why it was such a low price. Though it was advertised as new, it isn't. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it, but they did remove the coating from the blade (very crudely), and two pocket clip screws are missing. Removing the blade coating is actually a bonus ( not thrilled with missing hardware though). Given the price I think I'll keep it as a work/beater blade.

Got my Recon XL Tanto in yesterday. Its the same length as the Voyager XL Tanto but it somehow seems much bigger. I find it hilarious that the pocket clip is the same size as the normal sized ones. It looks funny, but when you grip the knife hammer style you dont come into contact with it. Even more hilarious was the price, $48 shipped!

My AL came in today, and now know why it was such a low price. Though it was advertised as new, it isn't. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it, but they did remove the coating from the blade (very crudely), and two pocket clip screws are missing. Removing the blade coating is actually a bonus ( not thrilled with missing hardware though). Given the price I think I'll keep it as a work/beater blade.

I got a pretty crude AL, no pocket clip, stripped screw holes, removed coating. But he added a stonewash, an incomplete stonewash mind you. 20 bux. How much was yours?

I couldn't help it.

I picked up a Mini-Recon 1 Tanto-Point.

The price hasn't come down on the Clip-Point version though.

So, I may wait it out and get a new one in Carpenter CTS-XHP instead.

This is one of the best smaller 3-inch bladed knives I have found.

The handle really works well for me.

Got a Hold Out 3 for $29, Hold Out 2 for $48, still looking for a large Vaquero, can't seem to find one.

Back