Off Topic Australia on fire

Here's a recent satellite image of the current fire situation...
Almost the entire length of NSW is ablaze.

890fcc790475e8906082dcb7f165279946b65874.jpg

Been watching that fire in the updates and thinking of you mate. Hope that is as close as it gets.

News reports wildlife getting closer to homes. Over here that means, raccoons, opossum & the occasional gator. Can't imagine a joey starring thru ya window wanting inside.

Been watching that fire in the updates and thinking of you mate. Hope that is as close as it gets.

In theory it will keep burning until it rains. No rain is predicted in the short term, probably not until next year. The fire front will probably only stop coming this way if they bulldoze or backburn containment lines. Which I hope they'll do!

Too bad NZ can’t send some rain your way. I’m sure they’d share.

In theory it will keep burning until it rains. No rain is predicted in the short term, probably not until next year. The fire front will probably only stop coming this way if they bulldoze or backburn containment lines. Which I hope they'll do!
Mate, devastating situation, hope you are okay and staying safe. Things like this put every thing else into perspective. Thinking of you and everyone else affected by these fires. Keep safe mate.

Well, it didn't take long...
It pretty much rained through the whole winter in Melbourne, after that there was some decent rains every week for a long while... all it took was 2 weeks of no rain and Victoria is on fire too now. This afternoon visibility here was about 500 meters, past that it was smoky haze

Yeah the smoke in Melbourne was bad yesterday. We are close to the Dandenong Ranges and you couldn't see them at all.
Plus the heat was almost too much. Got to 45.3c where I was during the day and was still 36c at 10pm.

To put the fires in perspective they have already burnt 3.1million hectares and the fire front was over 60km long at one point.

It's only a matter of time until we get another big one in Melbourne.

Currawong Currawong hey mate, any update from your location ? Hope you are OK !

Yesterday was pretty bad. Big plumes came up just over the hill

f15.jpg

Then the weather changed and started blowing it towards me. Got real dark and burnt leaves and ash started falling

f16.jpg

I was patrolling with the water pod and fire pump looking for spot fires. Had to look after the neighbour's property and their cattle and horses as well because the highway is closed and they can't get up. After a long day, the fire came very close, but just missed me. Then a heavy mist rolled in and everything went quiet. Strange day!

As an aside, doing heavy work clearing vegetation for hours in 39 C temps and thick smoke, you start to appreciate what the firies have to deal with !!

Damn man.... it's getting real for sure. Everyone is talking about the Aussie fires everywhere now and firing up the politicians blowing spew left and right. I came across a photo set someone posted I wish I had never seen on FB of animals, it was so sad how the fires moved so fast it couldn't be outran. Totally devastating to nature. It's unnerving how it just seems to be unstoppable and unending. Let us know how it goes man, I'm always checking in to see your updates hoping you get some monsoon rains!

Always checking in on this post, I hope everyone is ok, or as well as you can be under the circumstances. Complaining about the rain here in Ireland seems wrong when you see this. Best wishes and I hope you get some let up .

The fire has been burning in a 'mosaic' pattern. So the wind will come up, the fire will surge through an area, but leave many unburnt patches, interlaced with burnt patches where it continues smoldering, including underground. It will die down, and appear to be gone for a couple of days. But then the wind will come up again and blow it back through the area it was in, and light up the unburnt patches. Then the wind will change again and it will head in a different direction and repeat the pattern.

I've been watching the monster rattle around the landscape for almost four weeks now. It's around 160,000 hectares in size and still growing. I don't think it will stop doing this 'hit and run' activity until there's heavy rain which may not be for a month or two.

This is the least relaxing Xmas I've ever had !!

BTW that 'plume' photo a few posts ago turned into a 'pyro-cumulo-nimbus' cloud, which is a fire-generated thunderstorm. It produces lightning that then sparks new fires. I couldn't see it even though it was basically over my head because the smoke was so thick.

Everything was red-black, there was heavy smoke so it was hard to breathe, gusty winds, ash and burned leaves were falling all around, and the whole sky was rumbling and booming but I didn't realise it was thunder. I only worked out what was going on when I read about it online later.

Here's how close it got to my house

f20.jpg

Back