Axe? Please educate me

I will say this; I have been collecting and using axes and hawks for years. I tend to put them all through paces quite a bit. I have many from Granfors, 4 RMJ hawks, 2 customs, Council Tools....you name it. However I can say with complete confidence that the one do all axe I have is the Husqvarna Carpenters axe. Even though it was around 50 bucks, it just plain outperforms most everything else I have as a general do-all. It stays in the truck and has has more use than most any cutting tool I have. The weight is perfect and the design of the beard is excellent. Rough work and detail work with it are pleasant. For what it is, it stays pretty sharp to under use. I do wish the poll was a bit more hardened though. In general, If there was some way to improve on it's basic traits, I would say that would be as close to a do all as one could get. That is, of course, just my opinion. If you own one, I imagine you may know what I am talking bout.

I can't find that for $50? It sounds cool so I thought I'd buy one to check it out but I see something called that on Amazon for $175?

I see the Husqvarna carpenters axe listed for $70 Msrp on their website. Probably just some scalpers on amazon.

The cold steel trail boss is pretty good for 25 bucks.

Anyway I’d be in for whatever you produce here.

my concern with providing an axe without the handle is now you're putting a crucial aspect of the build into the hands of your customers. If not done correctly, and the head of the axe comes off in use, that's going to be a problem- a potentially bloody one.

Most forestry oriented stores, (that still exist, there's a good one in our town) only sell hung axes. They'll special order for guys who they know know their shit but otherwise they make sure the axes they sell are assembled correctly.
Selling just an axe head isn't something I'd advise, and it kind of goes against the CPK ethos of 'optimized' cutting tools- an axe head sans handle is not optimal!

I still think you should let me design an axe for you. I'll do it for free, plus a ptototype of course

my concern with providing an axe without the handle is now you're putting a crucial aspect of the build into the hands of your customers. If not done correctly, and the head of the axe comes off in use, that's going to be a problem- a potentially bloody one.

Most forestry oriented stores, (that still exist, there's a good one in our town) only sell hung axes. They'll special order for guys who they know know their shit but otherwise they make sure the axes they sell are assembled correctly.
Selling just an axe head isn't something I'd advise, and it kind of goes against the CPK ethos of 'optimized' cutting tools- an axe head sans handle is not optimal!

I still think you should let me design an axe for you. I'll do it for free, plus a ptototype of course
I hear what you’re saying but hanging an axe isn’t difficult. It also allows users to decide on the handle length, type and material. And I might be able to afford two.

I can't find that for $50? It sounds cool so I thought I'd buy one to check it out but I see something called that on Amazon for $175?

Yeah, I just took a look and they are going for wayyy more than they used too. I think I actually got mine from Amazon several years ago. Maybe it has some bushcraft cultish value now? It was made by one of the more well known shops (I cant remember, maybe Hultz or Gransfors?) and they were selling as Husqvarna for way cheeper than either of those namestamps were at the time. If you can’t find one, I can send you mine to try out if you want, no problem. I flattened the poll a little and flattened the handle sides a bit more to my liking several years ago.

Attachments

• 550F5C80-E5A9-4634-BC62-33B00770FFC3.jpeg
    550F5C80-E5A9-4634-BC62-33B00770FFC3.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 9E8C772E-60DF-4232-98B7-8D7B45280377.jpeg
    9E8C772E-60DF-4232-98B7-8D7B45280377.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

I think what Lorien is saying is that being well hung is important.

While I think that this would be an interesting project, and I'd be in for one, I think it would make a lot more sense to only do this after another run of the skinner and another run of the potato knife and/or another kitchen knife.

I know I'd use either of those more than a CPK axe, and I'd expect that they would be of interest to a much wider audience.

I still think a well thought out hatchet/axe would be a great endeavor coming from CPK, but I do agree a run of those superb potato knives or something like a 8” western style chef would be absolutely amazing.

I'm thinking something around 1.5 or 2.0 pound head and maybe a 20 or 24 inch handle. A light camp axe, not a boys axe, with superior metallurgy allowing thin geometry behind the edge like a swedish axe but with more pronounced compound curvature on the cheeks better suited to American woods than the European axes so this isn't going to be like one of those swedish axes that look and feel good but stick in everything but will instead be more like a thined down racing Plumb. That will cut bone on any animal alive without edge damage. If Jo will let me do it.

2 pounds and 24 inches sounds perfect to me. Please make it so I can hammer with the back. If my saw gets stuck and I have to beat a wedge in or if it is the only thing I have in the truck that works, I want to be able to use the back as a hammer.

The axe, the folder, the kukri, the trench sword, the balisong, the Amazon run of integral daggers priced at $125.35, the naval cutlass, the zweihander.
The list of sharps that Nathan owes us is getting quite long.
Lol. Touche!

Maybe I should adopt more of a "take what you can get" attitude here.

p.s. you forgot my personal most anticipated stabber, the integral shiv

No word on this for a while. Is this still gonna be a thing?

I want one.

And anything else you make

This is like those kitchen knives I made. I don't know WTF I'm doing. So I probably shouldn't. But I will anyways. I'm not sure when I'll be able to fit it in, but this this is something that I want to do.

This is like those kitchen knives I made. I don't know WTF I'm doing. So I probably shouldn't. But I will anyways. I'm not sure when I'll be able to fit it in, but this this is something that I want to do.

Could've fooled me! For someone who purportedly doesn't know WTF he's doing, you somehow manage to still make stupendous pieces when you complete those projects. OK, I admit that I'm very biased and that I like you, but I like what you make much better :p

Back